• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding: Storage and Dispensing

I would like to see some photos or plans that show how some good ideas of ways to keep our sanding tools handy. My setup is behind where I stand at my machine and seems clumsy and inefficient.
IMG_7775.JPG

Website
www.jjstephen.com
Based on the recommendation of another turner (who I would give credit if I remembered who it was), I recently switched to one of these, wall mounted:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-Clear-View-12-Bin-Organizer-CB-12/203184611

Plenty big enough for 2" or 3" rings, mandrels, etc. as well as smallish scraps of paper. My Siasoft 600-grit pads are a little big for the bins but that's ok. Overall, pretty happy with it.

For disc at the lathe I use these screw together holders (usually comes in a tube of six). These are sized for Vince's 2" and 1" disc. Available at craft, fishing supply, etc stores. Stored on a shelf behind the lathe. Roll goods are above to easily cut off length needed.
Flat supplies are in the another pic with 5" ROS disc in TP rack and sheet goods on the right with plywood in an attempt to keep them flat.

Disc Storage 001.jpg Sanding Rolls.jpg Sanding 002.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
A little bit sloppy, but this is my set up. It's behind me as I stand at the lathe. My shop is only 9 feet wide so it's a pretty short walk.

IMG_0185.JPG

Last edited:
I store the disks in small plastic jars in a drawer. To make them easily available I bought a package of small Velcro stick-on squares and stuck them to the edge of my tool rack. That way I have one of each grit handy when I need it. It helps me to keep track of what grit is currently being used (an increasingly frequent problem). I also have the Velcro squares on a narrow cardboard strip folded into thirds so it will fit in my demo tool bag.

Sanding Disks 1.jpg

I don't use many specialized disks but sheets are stored in a milk carton with a hanging file rack and each grit or type has its own file folder.

I just use the bags that Steve W. packages the different grits in, store turning in closed drawer 5 to 10 days before sanding (per JJ works good).IMG_20170111_141244.jpg IMG_20170111_141207.jpg IMG_20170111_141133.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I purchased a large lot of 1/3 sheet sand paper in the factory cartons at an auction.
I have them stacked on a shelf right above and behind the lathe in coarse to fine order.
If I remember correctly I paid about a dollar for each full carton of good quality sand paper.
I have the ends of the cartons opened up so I can reach into any of the grits and pull
a sheet out of each box when needed while working on the lathe.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
It ain't purty, but I'll put it out there anyway. The first picture is for storing up to 50 discs of each grit. It's some crummy old left over plastic pipe that I ripped slots in on the table saw then carefully cut to a couple inches each on a chop saw. Obviously a little dangerous to cut plastic pipe like that... The pipe sections are superglued into holesaw curfs that I drilled 1/4" deep or so.

IMG_1053.JPG

For working at the lathe, I have a gouge tray on casters. I made a quick sanding disc set up in an old cordless tool case. I just cut the plastic dividers out of the case with a Fein Multimaster and hot-glued in cardboard dividers. I had intentions of making something fancier, but turning bowls is WAY more fun than getting fancy organized.

I like the plastic case because I can close it to keep chips out, or close the latches and carry it somewhere else on the rare occasion I use discs away from the lathe.

IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

I told you it wasn't pretty!

For me, the most important part is to have all the discs, pads, etc. that I could ever want right next to the lathe so it's not even a step away to change grits.

It ain't purty, but I'll put it out there anyway.

For me, the most important part is to have all the discs, pads, etc. that I could ever want right next to the lathe so it's not even a step away to change grits.

Right, it doesn't need to be pretty, just organized, easy to get and change, and covered to keep the chips out.

Nothing too glamorous here but my "system" serves me well. :D

I use mostly Abranet sandpaper and have the sheets Velcro'd to the closet door in my shop. I like that I never have to turn them over to try to read the grits printed on the back because they're all laid out in order.

IMG_2691.jpg

Not much new from here, but I made this little contraption for use with my Mini Jet when out for demos. No more looking for lost sandpaper strips on the floor or under shavings.
For almost everything but bowls a use narrow strips and change often. When not in use, the strips rest nicely in a cheap box for fishing tackle.
2.jpg
3.jpg
1558425904819_1.jpg
Same tackle box idea is used by british turner and tool tradesman, Simon Hope, and one box for the holders and one for the extra discs work perfectly for me and take up little precious space at my stationary lathe.
A.jpg
B.jpg

Lars

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
Ron, how big are the drawers? the amazon link doesn't state the size. How many 3" discs can you store in a drawer?

Thanks
Ricc

I'm at work so can't confirm for sure right now, but I believe the drawers are about 2" tall. I bought a group of 25 EA disks and they all fit in with room to spare. The Q&A section answers the drawer size question as 4 3/8" wide 2" high 5 1/4" deep - this seems about right based on memory. I'll try to remember to measure them tonight.

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm using a DIY tackle box type storage for sanding disks (as Lars Hansen posted above). This is placed on a shelf behind the lathe (closed to keep chips out when roughing a piece). When sanding is required (I try to minimize this :rolleyes:) I made a simple dispenser strip which is a 2" wide piece of scrap wood sufficiently long to screw-mount 8 spring ("binder") clips to cover the papers or disks needed from 120 to 600 grit (left-to-right). I only clip what's needed for the task. This also reduced the risk of an accidental fall of the tackle box requiring some tiring re-classification...The dispenser strip can be hooked on the lathe bench edge or placed on the workbench behind. Since I share the lathe with my wife she's very happy to have the fresh papers handy and in order.

DJR_7851.jpg

Here's my sanding disc storage. I bought the box on one of my many trips to the Netherlands, it is intend to store tea bags and each compartment holds 50 discs. The little white pot is 50mm id and makes putting a disc centrally on the holder easy; simply drop a disc into the pot then press in the holder, saves trying to eyeball it. I'm working on a project to "Quick change" discs, if it works I'll post photos.Sanding Discs.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Here's what I've been using for a good while now. Don't remember where I got the tins from, but they're handy. I like that I can take them to the lathe (a whopping 8 feet away).

sandpaper01.jpg sandpaper02.jpg

I've tried many different configurations. This is this month's version. I have a Z rack with peg board that helps contain the chips to the lathe area So I had these wire basket like organizers and put my discs and cut paper in them. I haven't turned since doing this, so if chips in the baskets are a problem I'll just turn it around when turning. Everything is easy to reach. Next month maybe something else.

fullsizeoutput_909.jpeg

So many great storage ideas! After gathering a stack of discs to be used at the lathe, I stick them, in order, on a long piece of velcro tape that I put on the front of the lathe. Anything that cuts down on the bendovers and searching can be a good thing.

I've tried many different configurations. This is this month's version. I have a Z rack with peg board that helps contain the chips to the lathe area So I had these wire basket like organizers and put my discs and cut paper in them. I haven't turned since doing this, so if chips in the baskets are a problem I'll just turn it around when turning. Everything is easy to reach. Next month maybe something else.

View attachment 29366

I really like the setup . Two questions 1. where did you get the wheeled rack?
2. let us know how you do with those long curls getting stuck in the wire baskets.

I really like the setup . Two questions 1. where did you get the wheeled rack?
2. let us know how you do with those long curls getting stuck in the wire baskets.

1. The rack is a previous craft show setup for my wife's embroidery. I got it off the internet around $75 if I remember. They are called "Z" racks. I have a second one that I can't find a use for. I got the wire baskets from my wife's embroidery store they were renovating for $1 each. I can tell you wood turning is not the only hobby with a vortex. I think this will work for me as I can easily reach the supplies.

2. If I ever make long curls and it is a problem, I'll just turn the rack around to the backside when turning. I just changed lathes and been setting up the new one and modifying my steady rest, vacuum adapter, and re-doing my tool caddy/storage for my centers, etc. Hopefully tomorrow I will see some long curls.

Last edited:
Back