• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck recommendations

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
What is the best chuck for turning larger bowls up to 20" any recommendations will be appreciated

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the top 2 in the US: Oneway's Stronghold or Vicmarc's 120. With large turnings you want a large tenon to grab onto, so whatever you choose, look at the selection of jaws to see what their holding range is. I tend to think a 5" to 6" tenon for that size bowl is what I'd be comfortable with. (I use the Stronghold.)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Ross, I agree with Owen; those are great chucks. I have a big lathe and can turn really large stuff. I like the Vicmarc and have a 120 and 150. I've used the Oneway and also an Axminster. Hard to go wrong really; sort of like the BMW or Mercedes "problem of choices". It comes down to things like jaw sets (I know Vicmarc has a nice range but no doubt Oneway also does), key type and so on.

I own and agree that the stronghold and Vicmarc chucks will handle large bowls securely and safely. Although I can probably get away with 4 or 5-inch tenon, I would probably grab my Vicmarc chuck with either my 7 or 9-inch dovetail jaws to hold a large 20-inch bowl blank especially if the blank is 6"+ deep. I tend to favor the Vicmarc line because of the extra large dovetail jaws available 4,5,6,7,8 and 9-inch jaw sets available.

As mentioned above, either Oneway or Vicmark work well with large blanks. I've found that in my experience there's seldom reason to use jaws capable of holding more than a 5" tenon. Even roughing the largest blanks my lathe can handle - 25" swing - I've very seldom broken a tenon or lost grip with smooth dovetail jaws on a well made tenon. On those occasions when there has been a failure it seems to be more unseen defects in the blanks than too small a tenon that causes problems.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Glad you found one Ross. Happy Turning! :)

Back