• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New shop finished

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Man it's been a long haul, shutting down the old shop and moving and trying to get a new shop built. Finally got it all finished last night. My electrician did a great job. I have 15 LED lights in there and it's nice and bright. I have a 6x12 foot shed attached for my dust collector and air compressor and some wood storage. Going to start moving in today.

Attachments

• shop 1.jpg
    shop 1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 318
  • shop 2.jpg
    shop 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 332
  • shop east wall.jpg
    shop east wall.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 302
Website
www.bowlsbyb.com
Looks good. Plenty of power outlets which is a must for the perfect shop! I'm curious to know how you set up your Breaker box. Do you have a 20A for each outlet or multiple per breaker? I know in the winter those heaters will draw some amps and fans will draw them in the summer. Congrats John!

Enjoy.....update with 1st curlies

Looks terrific, John. And you are most deserving.

Since you're still a youngster, it might not be important now, but when you get to the "old eyes" stage, having white walls can be very helpful. The more light and the more contrast the better old eyes like it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Looks good. Plenty of power outlets which is a must for the perfect shop! I'm curious to know how you set up your Breaker box. Do you have a 20A for each outlet or multiple per breaker? I know in the winter those heaters will draw some amps and fans will draw them in the summer. Congrats John!
My electrician put in a 20 amp breaker to each 220.outlet. he put in a 30 for my bandsaw and a 50 for my welder. Each wall has a breaker for the 110.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Man it's been a long haul, shutting down the old shop and moving and trying to get a new shop built. Finally got it all finished last night. My electrician did a great job. I have 15 LED lights in there and it's nice and bright. I have a 6x12 foot shed attached for my dust collector and air compressor and some wood storage. Going to start moving in today.
Congratulations !!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yesterday I move 6 trailer loads of machines and cabinets. Today will move a few more large tools. After that I will be filling all available spaces with boxes of stuff that was in cabinets and hanging on the walls on shelves. I have a full 10x10 storage shed full of wood, my artwork, boxes of stuff and Dust collector hoods and pipes. Don't know where all of that is going.

Attachments

• shop east wall.jpg
    shop east wall.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 174
  • shop south wall.jpg
    shop south wall.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 181
  • shop west wall.jpg
    shop west wall.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 161
Sort of putting 10 pounds in a 6 pound sack? Congrats on the nice shop. Maybe I can get up there to Ooooh! and Ahhh! over the shop. BTW, is there a place for the coffee maker? Nothing like a cup of joe with a generous sprinkling of sawdust!

I got one for sale---- $44

Attachments

• 20190508_164213-1.jpg
    20190508_164213-1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 86

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Looks terrific, John. And you are most deserving.

Since you're still a youngster, it might not be important now, but when you get to the "old eyes" stage, having white walls can be very helpful. The more light and the more contrast the better old eyes like it.

Good advice.....

I wish I had painted my walls white while the shop was still bare......to do it now would be a bear! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Good advice.....

I wish I had painted my walls white while the shop was still bare......to do it now would be a bear! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

Yes, I like white walls and ceiling for light reflection. Was wondering if you had considered that John? Did you seal the concrete floor with anything?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had light gray walls in my last shop and liked that. However I really like the industrial look of the conduit and I've added 3 more LED lights in a smaller shop so it's nice and bright in there.

Lighter colored painted walls and floors will help reflect light into the work space providing a more productive environment and reduces the stress on your eyes by making it easier to see fine details and small numbers. Non-reflective (unpainted walls and floors) tend to absorb light that is provided by typical shop lights requiring more luminaires to provide a level of light sufficient for the tasks performed in a work shop area.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Another thing to consider besides overall brightness mentioned by Mike is the overall color temperature of light in your shop. The color of your shop's ambient light isn't just the color temperature of the lighting you are using, but also to a large degree the color reflected from walls and ceiling. White walls and ceiling will essentially reflect all colors equally while bare wood absorbs a lot of light and the light that is reflected is heavily biased towards the red end of the visible spectrum with very little light from the blue end of the spectrum being reflected.

The Kelvin color of the lamp source used in the shop luminaires will have a big impact on the color you see in your shop work area. You also have the efficiency rating of the lamps that determine how accurate they provide the color of light provided in the work space, common lamps are around 70%, better quality lamps are 80% and 90% rated which equates to a more expensive lamp with higher quality rare earth elements used in the manufacturing process.

Back