• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vega Lathe

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Since our club become a 501(C)3 non profit organization we have gotten 3 lathes and one club member donated a lot of supplies, chucks and more. Today, we got our 3rd lathe donated! A Vega 2600 . We have decided to keep this one for our hands on classes. A club member will keep it, paint it, clean it, run it, use it, and when we need it we will take where ever is needed for the classes. The lady had the original invoice, paid about $3500 with the shipping to Hawaii in 2007. At first glance, looks like a solid machine. I would like to hear if someone has one, the pros and cons of tis nice lathe. Aloha from Maui

Attachments

• IMG_6573.JPG
    IMG_6573.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 213
I had one but sold it when I had a chance to get a Stubby. I liked it quite a bit. The reason I bought it was the large swing at a reasonable price, plus the variable speed. The Vega design has 50 pounds of concrete around the spindle, for vibration damping, I am not sure I could tell the difference, but I never really put it to a test. The short bed is great for bowls and hollow forms. To hollow, I used a Jamieson system and Lyle provided the back tool rest that was designed for short bed lathes. The tail stock is quite heavy, I ended up making a wheeled cart that fit right up under the bed so removing and re-attaching the tail stock did not require much heavy lifting. The only other quibble I had was that there is no spindle lock. Customer support from Vega was good.

Seri Robinson, aka Dr. Spalt, had a couple of them at Oregon State University. She really likes it, but I haven't had a chance to turn on one yet. I have heard good things about them. I think the post for the tool rests is 1 1/4 inch, so bigger than normal.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The High School where we meet bought one. So far I'm the only one who used it and only used it once. It's a pretty nice machine. If space was a problem and I turned only bowls I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Since our club become a 501(C)3 non profit organization we have gotten 3 lathes and one club member donated a lot of supplies, chucks and more. Today, we got our 3rd lathe donated! A Vega 2600 . We have decided to keep this one for our hands on classes. A club member will keep it, paint it, clean it, run it, use it, and when we need it we will take where ever is needed for the classes. The lady had the original invoice, paid about $3500 with the shipping to Hawaii in 2007. At first glance, looks like a solid machine. I would like to hear if someone has one, the pros and cons of tis nice lathe. Aloha from Maui
Emiliano I don't own a Vega lathe but from the picture it looks very nice.......By the way, I really like the lift and how it works with the truck. Do you know the name of the company that sells them? I could use one because I find a lot of and use spalted timber and that lift would sure make it easier to load logs onto my truck....thanks

They are made about 70 miles from my house. They just always had the feeling of being made in someone's farm shop. Nuts welded on instead of tapping the steel, simple face mount bearings that were not really designed for end loading like the tapered bearings used in high end lathes, and a tail stock that really felt like an after thought. Not even sure the first machines had a tail stock. I had one for a few weeks to try it out. Didn't buy it for the above reasons. Well that and they didn't have a variable speed in those days.

They are made about 70 miles from my house. They just always had the feeling of being made in someone's farm shop. Nuts welded on instead of tapping the steel, simple face mount bearings that were not really designed for end loading like the tapered bearings used in high end lathes, and a tail stock that really felt like an after thought. Not even sure the first machines had a tail stock. I had one for a few weeks to try it out. Didn't buy it for the above reasons. Well that and they didn't have a variable speed in those days.
Richard, thank you for this post. I learned a lot from your post about your experience with the Vega. Much appreciated!

I did look at a Nichols lathe before I got my PM3520A. It was kind of like how Richard described it, a bit rough, but you could use and abuse it forever. I think it had a DC motor for variable speed. I may have to bug Seri about it and see if I can play on it....

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano I don't own a Vega lathe but from the picture it looks very nice.......By the way, I really like the lift and how it works with the truck. Do you know the name of the company that sells them? I could use one because I find a lot of and use spalted timber and that lift would sure make it easier to load logs onto my truck....thanks
The lift belongs to club member @Wayne Omura I will ask him where he bought it. Made the loading and unloading a breeze!!

Hello, this Wayne. The lift is a Spitz Hitch Crane. You can see more on the internet. Google Spitz Crane. I modified how the crane stand attaches to the truck's hitch to reduce carrying an additional part when using along with adding a support legs. I can send a picture if needed.

I use this contraption to save my back and help me load a bowl stock too heavy for one person or two to carry onto the truck bed. The lift is a bit pricey though still cheaper than being laid up with a back injury or buying turning stock. Some pieces are just to heavy to lift without some sort of mechanical assistance. Once the log is above the tailgate of the truck you can swing your load onto the truck bed. It is great for a one person job. Good thing to have around.

I'm late to this party, Emiliano. I've had the 2600 for a few years now, having turned on Bill Grumbine's when he had one. I was looking for something reasonably priced and small footprint. I'm just a hobbyist woodturner. I've had no issues with mine. I bought the bed extension with it so that I can use coring tools. The bed extension does not accommodate the tailstock, though. When I wanted to make an open segmented vase that needed a longer bed, I made a wooden bed extension that takes the tailstock. It worked a treat.
I've added a spindle lock, too.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm late to this party, Emiliano. I've had the 2600 for a few years now, having turned on Bill Grumbine's when he had one. I was looking for something reasonably priced and small footprint. I'm just a hobbyist woodturner. I've had no issues with mine. I bought the bed extension with it so that I can use coring tools. The bed extension does not accommodate the tailstock, though. When I wanted to make an open segmented vase that needed a longer bed, I made a wooden bed extension that takes the tailstock. It worked a treat.
I've added a spindle lock, too.
Thank you for taking the time to add to the discussion. It's nice to hear from actual users of the lathe. Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, you can do a search on this forum using the keyword "Vega" and the name "Bill Grumbine" to find a number of other threads discussing the Vega 2600 lathe. The only problem is that none of the pictures are there because of broken links.
Thank you Bill! We will take some pictures when our lathe is working again.

Emiliano...just noticed your post. I have had a Vega 2600 for over 12 years. It has served well for what it was intended. The Toshiba motor and VFD are first class. I use a Trent Bosch Stabilizer for hollowing which works very well on the Vega without the bed extension Vega offered.

There were 3 things I didn't like and in recent years I have improved those.
1) Replaced the banjo with a Oneway banjo. Huge improvement! Cost was about $300. Maybe one of your members has an extra banjo they would loan for club events?
2) Reinforced the tailstock with a gusset welded to the forward side. This eliminated most flexing when turning heavy bowl blanks with plenty of tailstock pressure.
3) Made a spindle lock that functions. I hated the curved bar w/ pin provided with the Vega. Bought a piece of 4" aluminum billet on Ebay and bored and machined a hub on my metal lathe which fits over the collar on the spindle. Then bored a shallow hole in the collar and have a pin w/ knob that drops into it. Another huge improvement.

I would be happy to email or post pics of #2 & 3 if of interest.
Rick

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano...just noticed your post. I have had a Vega 2600 for over 12 years. It has served well for what it was intended. The Toshiba motor and VFD are first class. I use a Trent Bosch Stabilizer for hollowing which works very well on the Vega without the bed extension Vega offered.

There were 3 things I didn't like and in recent years I have improved those.
1) Replaced the banjo with a Oneway banjo. Huge improvement! Cost was about $300. Maybe one of your members has an extra banjo they would loan for club events?
2) Reinforced the tailstock with a gusset welded to the forward side. This eliminated most flexing when turning heavy bowl blanks with plenty of tailstock pressure.
3) Made a spindle lock that functions. I hated the curved bar w/ pin provided with the Vega. Bought a piece of 4" aluminum billet on Ebay and bored and machined a hub on my metal lathe which fits over the collar on the spindle. Then bored a shallow hole in the collar and have a pin w/ knob that drops into it. Another huge improvement.

I would be happy to email or post pics of #2 & 3 if of interest.
Rick
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable experience with the Vega. Yes please, would love to see the pictures of the improvements. I think you should add them to the thread, attach them to a reply here. Aloha from Maui

Rick: Can you please tell me which Oneway banjo you bought for your Vega? I made a spindle lock for mine, but installed it on the outboard side of the spindle. If your's is on the inboard side, I like to see pics.

Rick: Just to add to my previous post, I went onto the Oneway site and it looks like the largest banjo they have is for lathes with a 24" swing. The Vega is 26". Did that raise any issues with yours? Also, the Oneway takes 1" posts so the toolrest that came with the Vega will not work with the Oneway banjo. Did you just get a different toolrest?
Thanks.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Rick: Just to add to my previous post, I went onto the Oneway site and it looks like the largest banjo they have is for lathes with a 24" swing. The Vega is 26". Did that raise any issues with yours? Also, the Oneway takes 1" posts so the toolrest that came with the Vega will not work with the Oneway banjo. Did you just get a different toolrest?
Thanks.
There are adapters to convert the tool post to the right size. Drop it in and you are good to go. As or the height, I'm not sure. Weare using an old Nichols tool rest on ours...

Emiliano: The problem is that the Vega tool rest post is bigger than the Oneway banjo. If the tool rest post were smaller, I could use a bushing to bring it up to the banjo size.

I'm guessing that the Oneway 24" banjo is the one that Rick has, since it would only mean that the tool rest is extended 1" more out of the banjo on the Vega than it would be on a 24" lathe.

Emiliano & Grant,
Here are photos of the tailstock reinforcement and spindle lock I made for my Vega. The spindle lock was machined on my metal lathe from a piece of aluminum billet I purchased on Ebay for about $27 incl. shipping. The back side of the billet was machined out so it would fit over the bearing boss & weld. I drilled a hole into the spindle collar to accept the pin that drops in to lock the spindle. The pin stores in a hole I drilled in the top of the headstock when not in use.

The Oneway banjo was used and from a 2436. I do believe that Oneway makes a taller tool rest for use on the 2436 when outboard turning. My solution: I bought a Robust tool rest with the post length to suit. I always considered the tool rest provided with the Vega to be dangerous. If the tool ever came off the end of the toolrest when gripping the tool from underneath, a severe finger injury could result if the finger contacted the lower portion of the tool rest.

These changes were a significant improvement to my Vega and definitely worth the time and expense.

Attachments

• Spindle Lock.jpg
    Spindle Lock.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Tailstock Reinforcement.jpg
    Tailstock Reinforcement.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 90
Thanks much for this, Rick. Your spindle lock is much simpler than mine. I like it. I put mine on the outboard side and did a disk with holes around the perimeter so that I could use it as a indexer, too. It never did work as well in practice as it did in my mind.
I think my Vega may be bit newer than yours are my tailstock is quite a bit heavier, judging by your pictures.
I figured that the banjo you went with was from the 2436 as that is the biggest that Oneway makes. It's a bit out of my snack bracket right now, but I will keep it in mind. I get by OK with the Vega unit, but it's far from the best.

Grant,
If you get to the point of purchasing another banjo I would call Oneway. I'm quite sure that they make a taller one for use on the outboard bed extension on a 2436. Yes, their banjos are expensive, but I consider the money I spent made the Vega much a much better lathe. I always had problems with debris between the underside of the bed and the clamp plate keeping the banjo from locking down solid. That problem completely disappeared when I replaced the banjo, plus the new banjo is much easier to move around, etc.

Thanks again, Rick. Budget constraints mean that I won't be doing anything soon, but I'm grateful for your advice. At least when/if the time comes, I'll know how to proceed.

Back