• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What method of holding do you use for cutting logs

I can see some problems and as we get older lifting logs is a questionable endeavor but as long as I can kneel I will just use the ground and an adjacent log to prop it up. A few years ago someone had a station with a ramp top roll the log up on . The problem then is you either move that apparatus to the log or move the log to the apparatus . Also if it is a crotch you will not be rolling it anywhere.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It is reputed to be the origin of the name pitman

interesting .... and also Google says that the pitman arm steering link comes from sawmill slang ... the similarity is obvious. The poor guy in the hole probably never would have guessed the widespread influence of his "lowly" job title on the English language (couldn't resist the pun).

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
interesting .... and also Google says that the pitman arm steering link comes from sawmill slang ... the similarity is obvious. The poor guy in the hole probably never would have guessed the widespread influence of his "lowly" job title on the English language (couldn't resist the pun).
Just pitiful

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I can see some problems and as we get older lifting logs is a questionable endeavor but as long as I can kneel I will just use the ground and an adjacent log to prop it up. A few years ago someone had a station with a ramp top roll the log up on . The problem then is you either move that apparatus to the log or move the log to the apparatus . Also if it is a crotch you will not be rolling it anywhere.

The side discussion about the pit man has given me an idea. I have some green wood that is too heavy to consider lifting to mount on my lathe, but what if I were to dig an ergonomic hole so that when I push my lathe into it the bed would be at ground level so that I could just roll the logs onto the lathe. Still working on how to spin the negative connotation of being a pitiful logroller.

The side discussion about the pit man has given me an idea. I have some green wood that is too heavy to consider lifting to mount on my lathe, but what if I were to dig an ergonomic hole so that when I push my lathe into it the bed would be at ground level so that I could just roll the logs onto the lathe. Still working on how to spin the negative connotation of being a pitiful logroller.

Ok Bill you deserve this:p:rolleyes:

Nothing has worked for me better than pallets. I can stack them to get the height I need and don't care if the chain chews them up.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Ran across this today thought this was pretty ingenious tool for climbing trees to be felled.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXieOlKG72U&t=493s

Clever gadget, but I'm wondering is it really filling a need. The video shows the guy using a hatchet (what? no chain saw?) to lop the small branches off a pine tree, but is that necessary? Why not fell the tree and then cut off the branches!

Nothing has worked for me better than pallets. I can stack them to get the height I need and don't care if the chain chews them up.

Some pallets that I've gotten have small gravel embedded in the wood.

There are a number of reasons for cutting the limbs from a tree before felling it. If you are selectively removing trees from a forest you want to remove the limbs so they don't hang the tree up when it is cut down. You also want the limbs cut off so you can roll the log or drag the log without the limbs getting in the way. You would also limb a tree if it is close to structures and buildings that you do not want to damage when the tree is cut down. Taller trees can require topping to prevent damage to other trees and prevent damage to the tree being felled depending on the profile of the ground it is falling on. Depending on the tree species some of them can be damaged when cutting the tall ones down, it was a common practice on some species to limb the tree, top the tree, and then cut the trunk in sections to minimize the damage to the wood when it hits the ground. When cutting redwood trees back in the day it was a common practice to mound tree limbs and soil to provide a soft landing for the delicate wood so it would not splinter and break on the fall.

I have a variation of the Log Processing Center ... based on a project developed by the Minnesota Woodturners Assn several years ago. This picture was taken when it was new ... doesn't look so nice any more!
Log Cutting Stand.jpg

I cut some slabs form the last tree I took down while it was still attached to the planet - which was very secure. First dropped most of it, leaving about a 4' stump, then made vertical cuts from the top to within a couple inches of the ground. One more horizontal cut at the base and viola!

Ran across this today thought this was pretty ingenious tool for climbing trees to be felled.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXieOlKG72U&t=493s

These may be used in areas where worker safety is more of a suggestion - hard to imagine their use in the US given our propensity to sue.

For some reason I keep imagining the phrase "plummeted to his death" when thinking about when these will eventually be pulled from the market.

I made this log cutting stand and used it for many years. Made it from treated 4x4's all cuts are 45 degrees it is great for splitting a large round with a straight cut and also for cutting the back side of a half round flat for the tenon. I laid the half round down on the lower deck for cutting the corners off.
I made one like this last year and it works great.Thanks for the idea Breck

These may be used in areas where worker safety is more of a suggestion - hard to imagine their use in the US given our propensity to sue.

For some reason I keep imagining the phrase "plummeted to his death" when thinking about when these will eventually be pulled from the market.
Works on the same principal for a climbing tree stand for hunting. Tree stands have been around since a guy invented one after WWII based on platforms used by Japanese snipers. The required safety harness is standard with each tree stand sale of any style!
Edit- there is a line keeping the two sections together. Nothing more embarrassing than to be seated and the bottom part ratchets to the ground! It has happened to a friend. I noticed a line from the top section but unable to see where it goes as the video concentrates on the actual climbing rig.

Last edited:
Website
hogmountainwoodworks.com
I try to do as much chainsawing ‘on site’ when I’m collecting logs. I usually use the stump or another section and cut a shallow V in the top and use that to hold the log sections as I split them- Did it today actually. When I’m home I have a 24” wide cypress log with a V on the top that is my cutting station. It’s hard to see in the photo but the V is filled with shavings. I never liked the stands that have the wood pinching in on the top of the bar after cutting. The log sections fall away cutting them this way. B2696042-3C56-4605-92A3-247CFACBC6D5.jpeg

I’m Low tech too.
My log processing center has no metal to avoid and it gets dinged a lot.
Low to the ground bigger logs roll off the hand truck right in place for cross cutting or ripping.
:) Instructions available on request :)

View attachment 28632
Vesitile too - Holds crotches as well as log sections
View attachment 28633
Looks like it is firmly mounted thanks to Ma nature!

Back