• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What to do with a large slab of Norway Maple

I have just come into possession of a large slab of Norway Maple. 2.5" Thick x 27" Wide x 33" Long. The Pith runs through the middle. Not sure what to do with it. Would like to make a couple of platters, but will it survive with the pith. Should I section it and remove the pith.

Section it up, and take the pith out. 4 smaller items that will last are far better than 2 wonderful platters with the pith running through them. They will crack, so the sooner the better.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I have just come into possession of a large slab of Norway Maple. 2.5" Thick x 27" Wide x 33" Long. The Pith runs through the middle. Not sure what to do with it. Would like to make a couple of platters, but will it survive with the pith. Should I section it and remove the pith.

I would say that it depends on whether the pith is centered edgewise in the middle of the slab or off to the side. With a bowl, splitting is almost guaranteed, but with a relatively thin platter, drying might produce only cupping if the pith is not centered. I reviewed a Video by production turner Glen Lucas for the American Woodturner a few years ago and he cut a platter blank out of each log, centered on the pith. The remainder became two bowl blanks and all went into his kiln for drying.

I would say that it depends on whether the pith is centered edgewise in the middle of the slab or off to the side. With a bowl, splitting is almost guaranteed, but with a relatively thin platter, drying might produce only cupping if the pith is not centered. I reviewed a Video by production turner Glen Lucas for the American Woodturner a few years ago and he cut a platter blank out of each log, centered on the pith. The remainder became two bowl blanks and all went into his kiln for drying.
Thanks Dennis. Interesting. I’ll look for that video.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Samuel, the name of the Video was Mastering Woodturning Bowl Turning Techniques, by Glenn Lucas. The review was done in late 2011 so I expect that the Video was released earlier that year.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Would like to make a couple of platters, but will it survive with the pith. Should I section it and remove the pith.

Cut off one section and try it, with the pith in.
See if you can make it work. The platter might warp, but just try and work with it.

If you don't like the results, then cut out the pith in the remainder.

I find a lot of people like hard fast rules: cut out the pith, ensure its perfectly round/flat.
But some of the most interesting results occur, when its not "perfect".

If the pith is right on top of the slab, you could get a big platter out of it. If it is more centered in the slab, then I would rip it down the pith and get 2 platter/bowl blanks on each half, and some thing left over from the end cut.

robo hippy

Can you post a picture of the piece of wood. We are giving advice on something we have not seen. If we see it someone might have a brilliant idea.
Too late. Cut up. I actually had two pieces. I took a chance with one, was conservative with the other. Pictures would have been a good idea. They were cut from a large tree with 3 leaders, so the pith was vert irregular.
Two pieces will make an interesting crotch piece.

Back