• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chucks

I'm setting up a lathe in a second location-B and will need 2 new chucks. I already have two G-3 chucks with extra jaw sets that will remain in location-A. I've been happy with the Nova chucks and like the price.
I"m trying to decide weather to buy more nova chucks or upgrade to oneway.
Any suggestions? Input?
Also, I noticed that Craft Supplies does not sell Nova Chucks anymore. Anyone know why?

More info:
I'll be using a Powermatic 3520B, turn a variety of different items (including natural edge) and sizes with many different types of wood. I don't do much hollowing.

Robert I have 4 SN2 chucks and they work great on my 3520B. I have found that the failures I have with some tenons are either bad wood (cracked or spalted) , uneven cut on tenon ( slight errors in straight sides) or improper shoulder contact ( chuck jaws should contact the bottom of the turning flat and evenly). One error some people make is to think that the jaws compress a dovetail . It is not a dove but there is a slight bump at the top of the jaw for which you can cut a slight groove to seat the jaws best. Of note this groove is not to be the full depth of that bump to allow better grip.

All that said I have never had one of my SN2's to loosen its grip. Then there is the dollar factor in that I do not think there is a better value for the money as I can get a new one with 50mm jaws for 119.

It may or may not be an issue, Novas tighten on a tenon by turning the key counter clockwise, Oneways tightens clockwise.
Sometimes when turning green wood, or if I feel a slight vibration, I give the chuck a quick tighten. When using Novas, I have to really pay attention, I grew up with "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Just something to consider...
cc

I have two SuperNova2 chucks and they are very good chucks. However the last chuck I bought was a Record SC4. Very much like the Nova chucks, but the jaw slides are bigger and IMO is a better chuck. It is righty tighty and lefty loosely. All of the Nova jaws fit this chuck, but you put the #3 jaw on the #1 slide and the #1 jaw on the #3 slide. 2 and 4 jaws match the slides. Supposedly because it tightens opposite the Nova chuck. Another difference is it has a spanner wrench for removal. Craft Supply sells this chuck

Again I have most every brand name chuck and have found that they all perform as advertised and I have not found that any one of them out performs the others. I don't believe that any of them are built better than the others. I have 35 chucks 19 of which are Novas. When I reach in the cupboard for a chuck it is not for a brand but what jaws are on the chuck. When man A has a chuck that he paid a $125 more than say a Nova he thinks that it is better and that is that. Every body thinks what they have is the best - lathes, tools, chucks etc. Lastly I would not be surprised to find out that Teknatool is making those Record chucks.

I guess I am still not convinced about the 'quick change' chucks. Sounds like a great idea, but there seem to be some issues with them, or they would be a lot more popular...

Comments anyone?

robo hippy

Robo for me it is the cost, can buy like two chucks and a few sets of jaws for the price of one of them. Plus the fact that in reality there is not a whole lot holding those jaws on.

I guess I am still not convinced about the 'quick change' chucks. Sounds like a great idea, but there seem to be some issues with them, or they would be a lot more popular...

Comments anyone?

robo hippy

I have three Nova Infinity Chucks with a full complement of jaws (6 of them fitting tenons from .63" to 4.17") and love them. But Nova discontinued them last spring citing poor sales. There are a few still in the channel as well as some jaws. It's a long story how I wound up with three, but suffice to say Nova gave me some stuff and I found some bargains online as well. But they have worked well for me and will last a lifetime.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I have 2 Oneway Stronghold and 1 Hurricane chucks. They are both great chucks. I do prefer the square key of the hurricane chucks over the Oneway key. If I ever buy more it will probably be the Hurricane as they are priced affordably and I don't see Oneway having any advantage for the extra cost.

Has anyone had any negative results or comments with the hurricane chucks?
I use Hurricane chucks and I recommend them. Tough, reliable, great support, and they are priced right. I second Ricc's comment above in regard to liking the Hurricane's square key over my Oneway keys. Seems like a small thing but this just let's you operate the key with one hand just a little bit easier when you are lifting any sizable hunk to mount...and the key's shape even eases the task over the Oneway's. The only negative thing that I have to mention is that there is a "small" screw under jaw #4 that operates as a stop limit for all of the jaws in the open position...that has to be checked/tightened about once per year or whenever you change your jaws if you are smart...which I am not.

Hurricane HTC100 here. I'm a very new turner so take anything here with a grain of salt, but so far I have found this chuck to be a great value for the money. I've used SuperNova2 and Record SC4 chucks as well, but prefer the Hurricane. Smooth operation, I like the enclosed back for keeping the workings clean, and a second on the square key being very easy to use.

Last edited:
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week and all of the wood chucks mentioned here will work fine for most wood turners.

Hmm, square key for the chuck..... I have used the Vicmarc chucks since forever or 20 years. They have the hex keys. They are all pretty much standard L shaped hex keys with the plastic handles molded on. That plastic breaks off after a year of 5 of constant use. I replaced them with the 'T' handle bent wire type hex wrenches. These will never wear out or break, though they have developed maybe 5 degrees of twist to them. No clue about the square ones, but I wouldn't think they would be some thing you could go to a big box store and find on the shelf if you needed a better one... I will check out the Hurricane chucks at the up coming Oregon Woodturning Symposium.

robo hippy

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
Hmm, square key for the chuck..... I have used the Vicmarc chucks since forever or 20 years. They have the hex keys. They are all pretty much standard L shaped hex keys with the plastic handles molded on. That plastic breaks off after a year of 5 of constant use. I replaced them with the 'T' handle bent wire type hex wrenches. These will never wear out or break, though they have developed maybe 5 degrees of twist to them. No clue about the square ones, but I wouldn't think they would be some thing you could go to a big box store and find on the shelf if you needed a better one... I will check out the Hurricane chucks at the up coming Oregon Woodturning Symposium.

robo hippy

Below is a picture of the hurricane chuck key. It's pretty stout as it's close to the size but a tad smaller than a 3/8" socket drive. so I think you would pretty much have to just lose it in order to have need to replace it. That being said if you do need to replace it you could run down to the big box store and buy a 3/8" socket tee handle or extension and grind slightly to fit.

Ricc

Attachments

• Hurricane chuck key.jpg
    Hurricane chuck key.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
I will be selling my Powermatic soon, along with most of its accessories. But, my Easy Chuck will not be for sale. It's coming with me to my next lathe. That thing has spoiled me.

That "bump" is a little dovetail and I seldom have more tan 3/16" thickness of tenon with those 2" Nova jaws and have no problem gripping the piece.

Back