• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

14" or 17" Bandsaw?

A couple of years ago I bought a slightly used Delta 18" band saw that appears to be identical except for color to the one you have. The unexpected problems I had were 1 The shock mounts on the motor were broken, 2 the table was not parallel to the blade, 3 The table was not centered on the blade and 4 The minimum setting for the bottom blade guide is too large for the slicer blade I bought. The problems have been solved and the machine performs well.

That is a good looking bandsaw. While we are talking about bandsaws, I bought a new Laguna 18BX a couple of months ago and I swear it is the first bandsaw that I have ever seen where the dust catching system actually works. Amazing...

That is a good looking bandsaw. While we are talking about bandsaws, I bought a new Laguna 18BX a couple of months ago and I swear it is the first bandsaw that I have ever seen where the dust catching system actually works. Amazing...
I bought the Laguna 18BX as well at the beginning of last December. Unfortunately it is still in the box in the garage (with my lathe) waiting for my wife to clear out space in the basement!

Any other thoughts on its performance so far?

Thanks!

I bought the Laguna 18BX as well at the beginning of last December. Unfortunately it is still in the box in the garage (with my lathe) waiting for my wife to clear out space in the basement!

Any other thoughts on its performance so far?

Thanks!
You are in for a treat. I have put it through its paces on a regular basis (with various sized bands) and I have not found anything that I don't like about the saw. It is a beast. I had to fiddle with getting the table level/adjusted just a little bit and that is about it. I think that Laguna has finally come out with a well engineered saw that is nearly perfect for us turners. I'm loving the blade guides.

Please excuse my ignorance but what do you need a sled for on a band saw?
Well besides cutting big stuff with my saw, I also plan on using it for making ink pen blanks. With the sled setup, I can actually cut off a straight piece of wood at about 1/16th of an inch.

The problem is when they built this shop, before I bought the house, the whole shop is run on a 60amp breaker from house. I put a 220v for my rv but dont really run that. So I have to be careful about how many tools I would be running at the same time. This would be my reasoning for rewiring it down to 110v. I have 30amp plugins, so I at least have those to use. I know 220v would run on lower amperage but then its an insulated shop and I would have to tear out a good section of wall to run the 220 outlet and make it look good. I will more than likely just keep it at 110.
I had to run a 220 outlet for my new 1836. I ran the new line on the surface in conduit as I had recently insulated my modest 10x12 shop. It can be done neatly.

Back