• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Monster Captive Hollowing System Laser wiring and laser.

I have a monster captive hollowing system but the laser light became disconnected from the wiring system . The wires coming from the laser are disconnected right at the laser. I would like to replace the switch, the light and everything in between, but I can't find the parts. Can someone please tell me where to look for these.
Thanks a bunch!

Look on eBay for a three AAA battery pack. They come in a pack of 5 , wired with a switch just like the one that came with monster lazer.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Marc,

Take the opportunity to move up to a camera system. The info I have is :
  • Camera for hollowing - I recommend adding a camera to your hollowing system. I switched my hollowing rig to use a camera instead of the laser. That was remarkably easy, & I hooked mine up to an old, used computer monitor. Total cost <$50.
    What I used is :
    • Camera : Swann Microcam 720p Security Camera, 1 megapixel resolution. $25 @ Micro Center.
      • The camera uses a BNC Connector (a BNC cable and power plug come with the kit)
      • The camera attached to the arm where my laser had been attached. I hold it in place by a small hose clamp. A small block of wood between the camera body and the hose clamp keeps it from pivoting on it's axis (from vibration in the woodturning process).
      • Someone said this model is no longer available, but a similar one should be available.

• Adapter (to convert the BNC cable from the camera to the VGA cable for the monitor): VGA video PC converter adapter with BNC$18 @ Amazon
    • Standard VGA cable (usually has blue ends) - I already had an unused one
    • Computer Monitor - I already had an unused one, but you can find these cheap at garage sales.

Also, there is this thread : http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/camera-for-hollowing-system.12947/

I am really happy I made the change.

Kind regards,
Rich

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Marc the laser went south on my Monster. I made an adapter to hold a cat laser and it saved me a bunch of aggravation. I got a laser with an on/off switch and is rechargeable. I would like to have a camera system, might get it done this spring. I'm kind of short on space around my lathe.

I have three lasers for the monster systems and have had them since they were first offered and all work as good as they were the first day I got them. I tried the camera system and I didn't like it. I like to look at the piece not a screen perched somewhere with wires that can get caught. The camera system did not make anything easier as I still had to make my three adjustments with tool changes. I know where my tool tip is every second with the laser and I have no problem with it.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
My opinion of the original laser on my Monster is that it was just an after though put on a good tool. The battery box had to be taped shut, the wires to the laser gave me problems when I installed a different length tool. Randy was around and he sent me a new laser system and I had the same problem. I now use the cat laser and the dot is bit larger but don't have the same problems. The batteries are in the laser so no wires and it is rechargeable.

Sorry Fred but unless you have Alan Trout's Pro-Rail Hollowing system with laser the Monster laser is the best one I have ever used other than the Pro-Rail. Early on I asked Randy to make me longer support arms for the laser. He made me 12" and 14" support arms and those gave me a vibration proof laser even to depths of 15" and beyond. I had the Jamieson laser system and could not get rid of it fast enough. I had another which was home made by someone but it too was almost useless. I have just received the laser for the Elbo tool but yet have not tried it but it looks very promising and well made. Since the Monster is no longer made the Elbo tool has been my recommendation of choice as it is by far the easiest to setup and get a perfect bottom without a nipple.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Bill thanks for the reply. Just wondering what kind of tool do you use to hollow to 12 to 14 inches. I seem to be limited to around 8 to 9 inches. Are you talking about their capture system or the articulating tool? I have the articulating version. I do quite a few hollow forms but I can't go that deep. I would like to go deeper, thinking about getting the Jamison system. I will check out Alan Trout's Pro Rail system to.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For deeper vessels you need a larger diameter bars.

The Jamieson will do nicely at 14” with a 1.5” bar. As will the Simon Hope.
Many support systems will work with a 1.5” bar to a depth of 14” provided they have that much travel to work the cutter at that depth. This is right at the limit of the standard Jamieson handle which you can extend a little by letting the rear support pivot forward.

Lacking the travel you can move the support up after you get the bar inside and move the support back to get the bar out to evacuate the chips - ok for a rare deep hollowing not good for daily use.

Last edited:
Fred I have two bars from Hunter Tool Systems one of which is a 1" bar 16" long and I use with the hunter carbides and cuts great with no vibration. The other is 3/4" bar 12" long used with Hunter carbides. I prefer articulating over the captured any day. Not sure but I think Alan Trout may be updating the Pro-Rail. The Pro-Rail is not a cheap date but you get what you pay for.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Bill thanks for the reply. I have the the 3/4' and the 1" bar that Randy sold but I never had any luck with either one when it is very far over the tool rest. I think 9" deep is the deepest I have been able to go. Don't have much experience with the Hunter tools, I do have a #4 Hunter and it is kind of aggressive. I don't use it much, I get brave every now and then and give it a try. Most of the time I fine another tool works better.

Fred I have two drawers of parts for the Monster as every time Randy made a new tool for the Monster he sent me one. When I started with the Monster I found that the 5/8" tools required a bigger hole so I started with the small Kelton Hollowers. I proceeded to get all of the Keltons as well as all of the John Jordan Hollowers with which I could easily get to 12" depth. When Mike Hunter came out with his two boring bars and tools for them it allowed me to go deeper easier. I myself do not find the Hunters to be very aggressive and they do make chips.

Back