• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Coring system

Will the one way 24” base unit for their coring system work on a 25” swing lathe? Also, what systems have you guys used and had good luck with?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think that you can use a shaft collar to raise the blade and support arm to the desired height. Another solution is to add a stack of plain thrust bearings to get the desired height. You can also get a new base from Oneway for $$$.

Ryan - equipment depends on what you want to do - are you looking to create nested sets of bowls or just to claim the core for use on it's own. I know it doesn't sound like much of a difference, but if you're looking to save the inside of a bowl from being turned into shavings, almost any system will do. The less expensive route is to find a MacNaughton system and learn to use it (not terribly difficult if the goal is to save the core, more challenging to get nested sets).

Will the one way 24” base unit for their coring system work on a 25” swing lathe?

Yes. All you have to do is to replace the spacer rods that are inside the knife and support finger holders with new ones that are 1/2" longer. I have a friend who recently bought a Oneway system for his 22" swing lathe. He got the same base units that are used for 20" swing lathes, but with a longer spacer. See picture that shows the spacer removed from the knife holder base unit.
EasyCore w Spacer Removed.JPG
The exact length of the spacer is not critical. There is a setscrew mechanism on the bottom of the cutting knife posts and support finger posts. You fine tune the height adjustment with the setscrews.

Also, what systems have you guys used and had good luck with?

To answer your other question, I've owned a McNaughton system for about 5 years and made dozens of cores with it. After I saw my friend's Oneway in action, I bought one for myself (with 15% off coupon from Hartville Tools). The Oneway is much more predictable and has a shorter learning curve. The McNaughton worked fine for cores < 12", in burls or wet wood. I struggled with getting it to work with larger or drier blanks, or stringier woods.

Ryan,

I had the Oneway coring system. Its a great coring system and as mentioned the results are predictable. When I bought my Robust American Beauty I emailed Oneway to see if their 24" base would work on the AB and they replied with 'yes'. But I ended up going a different way. I had the opportunity to use a Bowl Saver Max3 a few times at a club meeting and liked it better. So when someone asked about buying my Oneway I sold it and bought the Max3. It too does a great job at coring and like the Oneway the results are predictable. What I like better with the Max3 is its ease and quickness of setting up. It also takes up much less room in the shop. And with the way the Max3 mounts to the lathe you can take it with you and use it on almost any size lathe. With either set up I think you would be happy. I have not used the McNaughton system so I can't comment to it.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have had the Mcnaughton for so long that I can't even remember when I bought it, probably 20 years. I briefly used a woodcut, but found it so limited I sold it. The McNaughton has a learning curve, but it's worth it. It is not for the faint of heart.

Ryan,

I had the Oneway coring system. Its a great coring system and as mentioned the results are predictable. When I bought my Robust American Beauty I emailed Oneway to see if their 24" base would work on the AB and they replied with 'yes'. But I ended up going a different way. I had the opportunity to use a Bowl Saver Max3 a few times at a club meeting and liked it better. So when someone asked about buying my Oneway I sold it and bought the Max3. It too does a great job at coring and like the Oneway the results are predictable. What I like better with the Max3 is its ease and quickness of setting up. It also takes up much less room in the shop. And with the way the Max3 mounts to the lathe you can take it with you and use it on almost any size lathe. With either set up I think you would be happy. I have not used the McNaughton system so I can't comment to it.
Good to know I’ve considered going that route as well, thanks.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have had the Mcnaughton for so long that I can't even remember when I bought it, probably 20 years. I briefly used a woodcut, but found it so limited I sold it. The McNaughton has a learning curve, but it's worth it. It is not for the faint of heart.

I'm still holding out hope that I won't be one of the faint of heart. I've watched Andy Cole demonstrate coring with the McNaughton and he makes it look easy. :D I've done a hands on once with a nice green piece of wood and it went well. I've tried it with a dry piece of wood and it was a disaster. Right now I can't do any coring because of back problems. I'm having back surgery next week so I won't be doing any kind of turning for a couple of months. :(

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm still holding out hope that I won't be one of the faint of heart. I've watched Andy Cole demonstrate coring with the McNaughton and he makes it look easy. :D I've done a hands on once with a nice green piece of wood and it went well. I've tried it with a dry piece of wood and it was a disaster. Right now I can't do any coring because of back problems. I'm having back surgery next week so I won't be doing any kind of turning for a couple of months. :(
Bill, sorry to hear about your back problems. There is nothing worst than back pain... Best of luck with your surgery! Andy was our first demonstrator for the club. He's incredible with the Mcnaughton. I only use it on green wood. And only with nice pieces worth saving. Not worth trying on dry wood, just too hard on the lathe and the nerves.

Spent some time with Chris Ramsey (there is an article on it in More Woodturning Magazine this month) and he showed how to get many many cores with the Oneway system. He got 9 cores out od a decent sized burl but could have got more. Sure opened my eyes as to what the Oneway can do. I have had all three systems but got rid of the McNaughton and still have the Bowl Saver which works fine but is limited as to what it can do compared to the Oneway.

I bought the One Way system last spring on the recommendation of one of my mentors. Carl said the learning curve for the McNaughton is pretty steep and be prepared to waste the first 50 cores. It was easy to use right out of the box. After using it for a few months, I suspect it is more flexible than most people give it credit for. I wish One Way would supply some documentation on getting the most out of it. The video that came with it, while somewhat informative, is of poor quality and poorly done. There's better videos on YT.

I have had the McNaughton for just under a year now. I haven’t used it much, but I really like the versatility. You can core bowls and platters at several depths. Don’t let the learning curve scare you if you want those options. I am getting much more proficient at it after coring less than a dozen blanks (I’m proud to say that my last attempt gave me 4 bowls and 0 funnels from a very nice burl).
Regardless of what system you choose, I really like the efficiency of coring. It’s nice to have several bowls and minimal shavings from a good piece of wood.

Website
jlwoodshop.com
Sorry to hear about your back problems Bill. Best of luck with your surgery!

Website
www.DragonsRose.studio
When I contacted OneWay about using the 24" base on my 25" AB, they suggested simply buying a longer adjustment bolt. You only need an extra 1/2-inch, as Dave says. Worked out great for me.

-Phil

Yes. All you have to do is to replace the spacer rods that are inside the knife and support finger holders with new ones that are 1/2" longer. I have a friend who recently bought a Oneway system for his 22" swing lathe. He got the same base units that are used for 20" swing lathes, but with a longer spacer. See picture that shows the spacer removed from the knife holder base unit.
View attachment 27321
The exact length of the spacer is not critical. There is a setscrew mechanism on the bottom of the cutting knife posts and support finger posts. You fine tune the height adjustment with the setscrews.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ryan, on our big lathe (Grizzly G0766) the WoodCut Max 3 fits fine with the standard post, for anything longer I would want their longer post.
For the McNaughton I had to machine a taller post myself. Not really tough just used a 1" rod of mild steel in the machine-chuck and D-Way gouges (M42 is usually used to machine metal, not wood)

Back