• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How Many Chucks to Get Started?

I've been asking beginner questions as I work on my initial set of equipment and tools, and I've got another!

I bought the Nova Comet II lathe and I plan to work my way up to turning some hollow forms such as goblets, boxes, and vases. Nova has their general-purpose G3 chuck which appears to be a good value. They also have their 30th Anniversary bundle which has multiple jaw sets.

Would one chuck do most small-ish projects to get me started or should I get more than one chuck or multiple jaws? I'm open to other brands, I just don't want to spend too much to start an occasional hobby.

Thanks!

Hi Evan, most chucks do come with different size jaws as you stated. My first chuck was the Nova G3 and it is IMHO a very good chuck and a very good value for the money. As you learn to do more different turnings you can add more chucks as you need. The G3 will handle the turnings you mentioned with ease......of course up to a certain size. I purchased more chucks (I have 4 chucks) for convenience more than anything else. Sometimes I will have 5 or 6 bowls I'm working on in different stages going at one time. ;) Happy turning!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Having more than one chuck is really just a luxury ... at least it is until you reach a point where you know of a really good reason or excuse why you actually "need" a second, third, or tenth chuck. Until then, changing jaws makes a lot more sense. I have both Oneway and Vicmarc chucks. They both have their strong points.

UPDATE: The advantage of a smaller chuck body is that it doesn't restrict access as much as a larger chuck when you need to work close to the tenon of the turning. So, if there isn't a compelling reason to use a larger chuck, I will choose a Oneway Talon over a Oneway Stronghold ... same goes for preferring using my Vicmarc 100 over my Vicmarc 120.

I have 5 chucks but started with just one. As Lamar said the G3 is a good chuck for a mini lathe. Right now there is a G3 and a Super Nova 2 anniversary package . Look at Tools Plus for the best price G3 $121.49 and SN2 179.99 . This is the best way you will find to buy chuck and extra jaws unless you find a estate sale.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thanks! So, with the Nova chuck would multiple jaw sets be necessary right away or would the stock jaws handle most projects?
Evan, as you know this is a highly addicting hobby. You will find yourself wanting to buy more and more tools and accessories... You have the right attitude, it's best to ask for advice. Wish I had done that when I started! Best of luck!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks! So, with the Nova chuck would multiple jaw sets be necessary right away or would the stock jaws handle most projects?
The standard jaws which close a little less than 2” by most vendors will do nicely for bowls,boxes,and end grain hollow forms and holding things like home made straka(donut chucks). The worm screw can also come in handy.

If you do lots of small stuff like Christmas ornaments the #1 jaws are nice to have.

You can usually figure out to hold most anything with the standard jaws.

Yes. Get one chuck and say 3 sets of jaws. Ideally this would include one set of 50mm jaws which seems to be the most common size and for a Comet one set of smaller jaws would be a good move.

The Nova packages are generally a good deal and get you to this goal economically. So that is what I would do.

You can do 97% of what you'll want to do on a Comet for the next 2 years with 2" jaws. (OK, for you, maybe 15 months;))

Most Nova jaws don't come in numbers like some other brands, they come in mm (or inches if you prefer). The number of mm refers to the size of recess they will fit when fully closed. Here in the Northern Hemisphere we mostly grab tenons instead of inserting in recesses, so it can be a little deceptive. For example, the 100 mm bowl jaws grab a tenon of about 3 3/16", making them a nice step up from the 50 mm/2" jaws. If you decide you just have to have more jaw sizes, unlike many bundles, the anniversary package contains 3 sets of very useful jaws, with which you can do 99% of what you will want to do with a Comet, for a very long time, which is to say, until you have to have a Big Lathe. (There's a little gap between the pin jaws and the 2" jaws, but it's pretty easy to work around it)

Check the Nova web site for more info and to download a chart of jaw specs. BTW, if you need support from Nova, they historically are poor at responding to emails, but have been excellent on the phone. (866-748-3025) https://www.teknatool.com/http://www.aawforum.org/community/tel:18667483025

I believe the Super Nova 2 Anniversary system comes threaded for a 11/4 x 8 spindle so if you want to use it on your smaller lathe you will need an adapter. Just something to consider.

Evan....take your jaws off chuck @ end of days turning....even if you have just one set of jaws......trick or treat

I look at local adds on Craigslist each week and keep an eye out for tools that I may be interested in. You can also run across tool bargains
on occasion at garage sales. Having an extra chuck or two in your shop is handy with having different jaws loaded and ready to go for the project you want to work on next without stopping to change the jaws out.

I've been asking beginner questions as I work on my initial set of equipment and tools, and I've got another!

I bought the Nova Comet II lathe and I plan to work my way up to turning some hollow forms such as goblets, boxes, and vases. Nova has their general-purpose G3 chuck which appears to be a good value. They also have their 30th Anniversary bundle which has multiple jaw sets.

Would one chuck do most small-ish projects to get me started or should I get more than one chuck or multiple jaws? I'm open to other brands, I just don't want to spend too much to start an occasional hobby.

Thanks!
Evan-
You need lots and lots of chucks, or the cool turners will make fun of you. <G>
Actually, I asked a similar question here recently. I've been turning a long time, but "only" have a Oneway Stronghold and the original Oneway chuck.
Plus a fairly new vacuum chuck, and various spur and live centers.
But anyway, you can do a lot with one chuck, and different size jaws. I understand the excitement of this hobby, but pace yourself. You don't have to buy everything at once ( can't believe I'm saying that).

So how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Seriously though .... I started out with a Talon chuck with two sets of jaws, #2 smooth (which are actually dovetailed) and #1 smooth pin jaws. It was cheaper to buy the chuck body separately from the jaws. I really didn't care about the woodworm screw because I don't need it.

Later I added a pair of mini jumbo jaws but found them to be a huge time-suck, dangerous and a waste of money.

Again, thank you all! I've tried to find some sort of guideline about chuck jaw size and project size, but I've come up short. I'm sure there are a variety of factors, but what would you say is the maximize length or width of a project piece that 2" chuck jaws can safely handle? I'm primarily interested in doing drinking vessels and vases (after first learning with spindles) and my lathe has 16" between the centers, maximum.

It sounds like the projects you have in mind are well within the limits of #2 jaws. According to my mentors the #2 jaws are good for a vast majority of projects. The larger jaws are good for larger bowls and platters. However no one has ever mentioned anything regarding the limits for when you should use larger jaws. If you keep the tailstock in place and stand out of the line of fire you should not have any problems. If it doesn't feel safe then don't do it. YMMV.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I agree with your mentors about jaw size. There aren't any specific requirements other than what works for the task at hand.

If I am turning a bowl or platter I usually start between centers (a spur drive, Steb drive, or safe drive on the headstock end and a live center in the tailstock) and do initial shaping and balancing. If it is a bowl I will make a tenon or mortise on the side facing the tailstock ... which will become the top side. The diameter doesn't really matter because I will have tailstock pressure applied when I turn it around and mount it in the chuck to shape the exterior and create another tenon on the bottom. I usually make the foot diameter of a bowl between ¼ and ⅓ of the total diameter. However, the tenon diameter can be larger or smaller than the final foot diameter.'

There is a chart somewhere, maybe it came with your lathe or will come with the G3 chuck, that specifies the SPEED you can turn pieces of wood based on diameter and length. If you're turning vases and drinking vessels, this may be important to you as you get started. Once you've got some experience, you'll set the speed based on what feels right.

If you're going to turn large/long spindle blanks into vessels/vases, you might end up liking extra long 'spigot' jaws. You probably won't get to that point until just after you upgrade to your Big Lathe, however. These are pretty specialized jaws and few turners would need them.
Small spigot (probably not necessary): https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-45mm-spigot-chuck-accessory-jaw-set/.
Large spigot:https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-long-nose-chuck-accessory-jaw-set/
There is also a set of jaws called "Power Jaws" which were standard on the Nova Titan chuck, are fairly long and about 100 mm diameter, and which would work well on some large spindle pieces.

You may hear from some forum members who turn very large spindle work and who mount on large diameter bowl jaws, or face plates.

John Jordan has one chuck with one set of jaws.
Having more chucks for me was more about convenience than about utility - although I have found in the long run, I do like having a (modest) range of jaws as well.
I got started with the supernova 2 because it was the best value, and once you start with a brand, you will likely stay with it. I have admired those big beautiful vicmarc and oneway chucks, but not enough to spring for a whole new set of everything. I'm doing fine with the nova line.

Evan,
Either chuck will work on your lathe. Having multiple jaws is nice. The holidays are coming and usually you can find a bundle set on sale for the Nova jaws. The anniversary kit is a nice deal.
The G3 is a little smaller and lighter, it is meant for the mini/midi lathe. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that the jaws on the nova chucks are interchangeable between all there chucks. Meaning G3 and Super Nova can share jaws.

I have a G3 with multiple jaws, I just use the jaws for the job. In my case my G3 needs an insert for 1 1/4 x 8 threads. Some can be ordered without needing an insert.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Having at least 2 chucks is handy. If you ever have the need to re-chuck, you'll find that it's near impossible to get perfect alignment on the second chucking. There are things you can do to minimize the error, but it will never be perfect.....especially on unseasoned wood, where there's more give and take when tightening the jaws. If you keep one project mounted until you're finished, you won't have this problem.

I have four Stronghold chucks.......and, it's mostly because I don't want to stop and change jaws. For me, it is a great convenience to not have to.

-----odie-----

Life is too short to spend minutes changing out jaws on a chuck for different projects. Spinning a chuck off of the spindle and grabbing one off the shelf and installing it on the lathe spindle in a matter of seconds and you are back in business. All it takes is one time dropping a jaw screw into a pile of shavings and it provides all of the motivation needed to purchase another chuck.

odie

TOTW Team
Life is too short to spend minutes changing out jaws on a chuck for different projects. Spinning a chuck off of the spindle and grabbing one off the shelf and installing it on the lathe spindle in a matter of seconds and you are back in business. All it takes is one time dropping a jaw screw into a pile of shavings and it provides all of the motivation needed to purchase another chuck.

Heh,heh,heh.......well, yeah, that's true, Mike.

Regardless......eventually everyone looses a screw, or something metal in the shavings. It's a good idea to have one of these magnets for that. It's saved my butt several times, and well worth having one in the shop:
image_17024.jpg

-----odie-----

Odie,
I have several lathe tools that have rare earth magnets mounted in the butt of the handles, always there when I need to search through a pile of shavings.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I was installing mounting brackets on a new garage air conditioner a couple weeks ago and naturally the screws had to go in a tight location and I dropped them numerous times. The amount of kinetic energy in a dropped screw defies all laws of physics so I spent a lot of time chasing down these runaway screws. I was wishing for a special "magnet" for non magnetic stainless steel screws.

It has been proven time and time again that a lost screw is always located in the last place that you search in, which means you should always start looking in the adjoining room and work backwards from there to shorten the time it takes to find the screw.

I'm not sure if you have purchased yet or not. The set someone mentioned at ToolsPlus looks like a good set to me which includes
"Includes G3 chuck, 50mm/2" Jaws, 100mm/4" Jaws and Pin Jaw set".
For most jaws Nova typically states max 6" extension due to the leverage of longer items. They make spigot jaws in 35mm and 45mm where the tenon can be up to about 1-1/2" long. Given you will have the standard 50mm bowl jaws I would not go with 45mm spigot jaws but the 35mm spigot jaws instead. There is only 1mm difference in the 50mm bowl and the 45mm spigot due to how they are measured.
Here is a link to their jaw selection.
https://www.teknatool.com/wp-conten...andard-Jaws-Min-Max-Ranges-Jaw-Table-inch.pdf
I have seven Novas with four of them being G3's.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
I have several lathe tools that have rare earth magnets mounted in the butt of the handles, always there when I need to search through a pile of shavings.

That'll work......whatever works is good! :D

-----odie------

odie

TOTW Team
I was installing mounting brackets on a new garage air conditioner a couple weeks ago and naturally the screws had to go in a tight location and I dropped them numerous times. The amount of kinetic energy in a dropped screw defies all laws of physics so I spent a lot of time chasing down these runaway screws. I was wishing for a special "magnet" for non magnetic stainless steel screws.

Not to be the issuer of puns.....but, in that case.....you are "screwed".....Ha,ha,ha! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

I believe the Super Nova 2 Anniversary system comes threaded for a 11/4 x 8 spindle so if you want to use it on your smaller lathe you will need an adapter. Just something to consider.
The Nova Titan is the chuck that comes threaded directly to fit a 1 1/4 X 8 spindle. the SN2's you have to purchase an insert to fit your lathe spindle size.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It has been proven time and time again that a lost screw is always located in the last place that you search in, which means you should always start looking in the adjoining room and work backwards from there to shorten the time it takes to find the screw.

Also, you should stop looking once you have found the lost screw. :D You wouldn't want word to get out that you found it in the next to last place you looked.

When I started turning in the 1960's on my father's Sears Craftsman 1940 vintage lathe, there were no chucks, just face plates and spur drives. Did not even have a live center. One day I mentioned to him, that it would be cool to mount a metal lathe chuck to a wood lathe to mount the wood. He went into a tirade about how if I can't turn with what has been working for a thousand years, maybe I should stay out of the shop. etc. I stopped turning once I got through college and picked it up again a few years ago. Man oh Man what a difference.

Evan, I guess I will be the sole dissenting voice who says he does not like NOVA chucks--I started with a NOVA DVR XP lathe and a Supernova 2 chuck--I just couldn't stand the righty loosey lefty tighty design of the NOVA chuck. I moved on to several different chucks over time--and currently I am a fan of Vicmarc Chucks and especially the Easy Wood Tools Easy Chuck--they are a little pricey, but their jaw changeout is unbelievably great!! If I was going to buy just one chuck after turning for 7 years now, it would without question be an Easy Chuck. Oneway and Vicmarc both make really good chucks, but they aren't that much less--if any than an Easy Chuck--so good luck, I will say you will probably be happy with a NOVA chuck--and BTW I have a NOVA infinity chuck and several sets of jaws that I will sell you for a great price if you're interested--received as a gift and never opened or used :)

Back