• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oak Burl

This is a piece I picked up when I cut some limbs for a neighbor. I left this a lot thicker than I usually do but in turning there were two long bark inclusions across the tenon. I turned to finish and when it dried there was in some areas a rippled effect that live oak gets when turned this way, but much more pronounced. I left one side high and one of the club members suggested I should cut the high side down. So I carved it down and burned the edges to match the natural edge. Started to finish with Mahoney's Walnut Oil and did not like the look so added about 10 coats of thinned Tung Oil. Unfortunately I could not buff it , just too many little edges.
IMG_4634.JPG

For those of us who will never turn live oak, could you comment on how it is to turn, maybe compared to red/white oak or other more familiar woods. thanks.

What you turned there Gerald is known as an overgrowth. It's a bump that results from healing over a broken off branch. Those bark inclusions were from the old branch. It's technically not a burl.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
For those of us who will never turn live oak, could you comment on how it is to turn, maybe compared to red/white oak or other more familiar woods. thanks.

From my very limited experience of turning some live oak from a neighborhood tree that blew down in a storm, when its fresh and green it's like turning butter. It cuts very cleanly without tearout. When it's dry, it's like turning granite, but this is one application where carbide tools are really useful.

Like Bill said it is great to turn green and can be quite difficult dry but not impossible. I did another piece too thin to return and the outside of the bowl had a basketweave look so I left it like that with a little sanding. When you get some pieces of Live Oak and remove the bark there is a swirl grain that can be very interesting. As to Red Oak I do not like it : too porous, tends to splinter easily and just not worth the trouble to me but it can be turned with some work.
Richard Thanks for the info, I did notice the backside was like a regular limb.

Back