• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question about serial # of a PM 3520B?

Thanks Dwight......I thought of that but I also figured with all this PM history avail here on this forum.....somebody
Would know..

I may call PM tomorrow....be nice to know the code of the serial #....

MLyle

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Since most Powermatic owners only have one lathe, it would be hard to draw any conclusions about data of manufacture from the serial number. I think that the suggestion to ask Powermatic support will give you the best answer.

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the Woodturning Discussion Forum. The Technical Support Forum is for asking questions about how to use the forum software.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The B series lathes aren't that old. I purchased my A series about 5 years or so before the B came out and that was probably 14 years ago or so.

If I understand correctly (from what I have read on the internet :D), as to my Jet lathe, the the first 2 numbers are the year, and the next numbers are the month. Also, my motor tag says the month and year which is consistent with the first numbers of the serial number on the lathe. So, if that is the same for Powermatic, then your lathe is dated October, 2014.

For confirmation of whether my internet knowledge :D is correct, a phone call to Powermatic Tech services will tell you.

My Pm3520b serial no starts with 1307, the motor plate says 7/2013, and I bought in in Nov 2013, so it appears that is their system.

My Pm3520b serial no starts with 1307, the motor plate says 7/2013, and I bought in in Nov 2013, so it appears that is their system.

Same here, my PM3520B serial number starts with 0912, motor plate says 12/2009 and I bought it in early 2010.

I had an issue with the start/stop switch when I first received it so had reason to talk with their technical support folks. If I remember correctly, the tech said that the last four digits of the serial number are the sequential order in which the machine was made. In other words, mine was the 3927th PM3520B that was produced (last four digits of my serial number are 3927).

Felicia Jordan of customer service@jpwindustries.com answered my emai.with a response
Of
Powermatic 3520 first began mfg in 1997. The 3520B in 2004 she believes, she was not sure.

And no comment as to month and year in the first four numbers of serial #..of a 3520 or 3520B.

Thanks all for your comments.....

Now I am looking for a new lathe........as I sold my 3520B on saturday.

Anyone tried or have a Harvey Turbo T40 ?

Felicia Jordan of customer service@jpwindustries.com answered my emai.with a response
Of
Powermatic 3520 first began mfg in 1997. The 3520B in 2004 she believes, she was not sure.

And no comment as to month and year in the first four numbers of serial #..of a 3520 or 3520B.

Thanks all for your comments.....

Now I am looking for a new lathe........as I sold my 3520B on saturday.

Anyone tried or have a Harvey Turbo T40 ?

Addendum to last statement

I did get a response from Felicia of powermatic cust service.....just now....

The serial # of the 3520 lathes DO Include the month /year of mfg.....

Thanks all. Now we know....

Mlyle

Back