• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Green Oak and rusty bedways

I know that "rust on bedways" has been discussed here more than once, but here is the deal. I have long used Johnson's Past Wax for protecting my cast iron tools (table saw, band saw, lathe bed ...) and am mostly content with it. I have also used Boeshield T-9 and more recently Glide Coat. All have given me similar, ok results. Given that, my go to is still the paste wax because it is the most economical, an $8 can of Johnson's lasts a very long time, vs around $20 for a can of the other two.

None of the above protects against green (wet) oak. Red oak is the worst, but white oak also will defeat my bed protection regimen. I believe it is the tannins in oak that make it an oxidizing force. All of the above treatments help, but none allow me to turn a green oak bowl (I am not the fastest turner out there, by far, it takes me 60 - 90 minutes average to turn a bowl) and not have to re-treat the bedway for light rust.

Those of you who sometimes turn green oak, have you found a rust prevention protocol that can defeat the mighty oak?

Scrub everything with a Scotchbrite pad and WD40 when done turning, wipe it down with a paper towel, forget it. Repeat after every session, only takes a few minutes. If really long turning session, clean when half way done. Oneway 2436 will be 20 years old this year, still basically looks like new.

WD40 (or T9) and Scotchbrite is what I do prior to the wax top coat.

Perhaps (Ya think?) I am too anal regarding this. The lathe is the only tool in my shop that has the issue, being the only tool in the shop capable of spinning the wet out of wood.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
The very best rust protection I've found for the lathe bed is Aero Kroil. It stinks like crazy, so I put it on at the end of a day. I have tried at least a dozen, including WD40 and Boeshield. LPS3 is pretty good too, but it isn't much of a lubricant.

I should offer that I don't turn green oak—I know it is crazy. I turn in an open air shop in a (moist) temperate rainforest, and I turn enough saltwater saturated wood to know extreme rust.

As for the title: Rusty Bedways...if I ever change my name, that'll be it!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just use WD40, spray before I start, if I take any kind of break I wipe off the bed and spray again, then at the end of the session. I don't follow that regimine for most other woods but when turning Oak it's essential.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The very best rust protection I've found for the lathe bed is Aero Kroil. It stinks like crazy, so I put it on at the end of a day. I have tried at least a dozen, including WD40 and Boeshield. LPS3 is pretty good too, but it isn't much of a lubricant.

I should offer that I don't turn green oak—I know it is crazy. I turn in an open air shop in a (moist) temperate rainforest, and I turn enough saltwater saturated wood to know extreme rust.

As for the title: Rusty Bedways...if I ever change my name, that'll be it!

I love Johnson's Paste Wax and put it on everything. I don't turn much oak and the bed on my Robust is stainless steel so I'm pretty useless about giving a helpful answer. However, I also have Aero Kroil since I used to be an airplane owner. It is stinky messy stuff, but I agree with what Zach says. Maybe draping newspaper over the bed would help.

If I am turning anything that would splatter on the bed, I drape an old towel over the bed. When done I remove the towel and make sure the bed is dry. I have lightly "polished" the bed with 600 grit sandpaper and lubed it with Ballistol Multi-Purpose Sportsman's Oil. It's made in Germany and is similar to WD-40 but has a thicker consistency. Protects the bed and the tailstock slides much easier.

In the years I owned a Jet 1642 and a 3520, I turned a lot of green oak. I never had trouble with the ways rusting, and never did anything to prevent it. Every year or two I might do a WD40 rubdown. The only aftereffect I ever noticed from turning oak was the ways might be darkened/blackened somewhat. I had far more staining on my hands than the lathe.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I never had trouble with the ways rusting, and never did anything to prevent it. Every year or two I might do a WD40 rubdown. The only aftereffect I ever noticed from turning oak was the ways might be darkened/blackened somewhat.

This is pretty much my experience, as well. ^^^^^

Oak doesn't really rust the bedways, but it does leave a dark stain. With Oak, and any other wood with a high MC, I use whatever oil I have handy. Much of the time, it's a rag soaked with plain old motor oil that I keep near the lathe. Works fine for the purpose.

This White Oak crotch bowl had a 22% MC, as roughed. There was quite a bit of dark staining when I roughed it.
1401 white oak crotch (16).JPG

In MT, I've never had much problem with rust......I've never turned in any other climate, so I suspect rust problems are generally subject to where you are. Probably in climates where there is high humidity, and near salt water has some relationship........but, I only make a guess at that! :confused:

-----odie-----

an ounce of prevention...
similar to John's towel
I made up some magnets (like refrigerator magnets) and use them to hold down plastic trash bag sections over the ways and the headstock (punch a hole to go over the chuck/spindle).
When through just lay them out to dry until next time.

My shop has A/C so not much rust problem. When I first got my Jet I left a bowl on the chuck wrapped in plastic (Mistake) rust on the chuck took a while to clean up. In turning oak have to agree that the tannins only cause staining which can be severe for a while, but does clean or wear off. I have had a little rust when I leave shavings (don't do that anymore) on the bed. Mostly use WD40 to clean and lube the bed. wax seems too intense and works no better that WD40.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Mostly use WD40 to clean and lube the bed. wax seems too intense and works no better that WD40.

Not surprising that WD40 performs well in this instance due to its water displacing properties. I assume it displaces the water in surface pores and scratches whereas the wax may tend to coat over the top of the water. WD isn’t much of a lubricant even though many folks believe that is its purpose.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I would have some concerns about using a Scotch-Brite pad since being abrasive it would increase the surface porosity thus trapping moisture even more likely which seems to me like that is going in the opposite direction of where we want to go.

FWIW, My old Delta 1440 lathe, other than being a woof-woof, has a bright shiny bed because I always kept it polished up with Johnson's Paste Wax. I never used any sort of abrasive on it.

I agree with Owen about WD-40.

Back