• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fixing one of My Mistakes

This is a lighter side thread. I was making my first natural edge bowl, cherry wood and somewhat wet. I turned it to about 3/8" thick was was proud I kept the bark on. Went to lunch and when i came back I discovered I left my flood light over the lathe on (non-LED). Yes, it cracked. I put some aluminum powder to fill the crack and even used the dremel to enhance it, but really didn't look good. i decided to go ahead and finish the foot, but too much tail stock pressure and thin wall I put a hole in the bottom. So up on the shelf of shame for over a year. I decided I was going to do something with it and being original here is what it ended up. 11" wide 8" to top of sail. Have a good chuckle.

IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

All, thanks for the kind words.

That is one great save and the AL powder looks like a lightening strike.

I kind of had that somewhat in mind before I put the hole in the bottom. A different approach.

Outstanding save. I think that it's when you are able to let your mind roam free that some very creative ideas happen.

Bill, I still remember the post with the stopper. That was a classic save.

Like the piece.

If you choose to do so this is something you can pursue with future creations.

Al, I haven't thought about it. I haven't put a hole in one for a while. I first thought of fixes to cover the hole and nothing would have made it look right. So I began thinking how to use the hole and it just looked like a boat to me. FYI the sail is thin veneer dyed white.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al, I haven't thought about it. I haven't put a hole in one for a while. I first thought of fixes to cover the hole and nothing would have made it look right. So I began thinking how to use the hole and it just looked like a boat to me. FYI the sail is thin veneer dyed white.

William - I was thinking more of a planned boat that advances your first one a level or two.

I do like the one you did and the wooden sail is a touch you could use to build upon too.

Hull design, masts, rigging, spars, booms, sails...... so many choices......

Whether is one and done Or the first of a series.
That is up to what interest you.

I like that natural edge floating vessel. Sometimes our best inspirations come from delayed responses. I had a similar experience as you with a hackberry bark edged bowl that crack overnight while on the lath and I was so disappointed that I tossed it under the work bench and didn't come across it again for a year and decided to try and make a laced bowl out of it.

Attachments

• 2016-03-16  Hackberry.jpg
    2016-03-16 Hackberry.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 27
Back