• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Estate sale information

The doctors response to my recent physical tests went from "woops" to "Oh S***" on the follow ups. The biopsy isn't in yet, but the prognoses is grim.

To get ahead of the curve I want to get my shop inventory cleared out before my widow has to do it. She might just sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

I have a PM 3520b in good shape. Accessories for this lathe include:
3 Chucks - 2 Stronghold and 1 BullDog
Beal Collet chuck
Robust tilt away tail stock attachment
Clark (the monster one) steady rest
Home made Jamieson hollowing system
3 Robust tool rests
Gast Vacuum pump with all fittings and several shop made chucks.
20 - 30 gouges, scrapers, skews - most of them Thompson some signature, a few BB or equivalent
WoodCraft slow speed grinder with 80 grit AO and 180 grit CBN wheels.
Wolverine grinding jig.
Pendent offset chuck jig
Misc. stuff like pen mandrels and bushings, lots of kits and other stuff.

How do you recommend that I sell this? Will it sell better as a package, or as single items?

Man so sorry to hear that. I don’t know how to respond because I’m hoping it is false positive. My mom was diagnosed and was treated just fine, so I wish you the best.

If you must, I would say individually with all or group discount but again, hopefully it wont come to that.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Man I hate that. My sympathies. In your area you should be able to sell it as a package. I would try. If that fails then of course you could always piece it out. there are enough woodturners around there to do either I would think.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm a few hours north of you. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

My prayers for you. You are a brave man to clean out the shop for the wife. I have in my will that the woodturners club and woodworkers club gets first crack at what is there at that time. If you can sell as a group is the fastest. If not maybe in batches. I keep saying I will make a video with comments and maybe prices for my son to sell it off after the fact, just never get round TUIT.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
First, my hope for you is a full remission/recovery.

I have been dealing with an estate now for a little over two years. Allen was stage 4 when we met and a fighter. Over the last two years we became fast friends. We lost him about three weeks ago. The first thing I bought from him was a 22 foot trailer full of about 50% premium exotics and 50% local wood, also TONS of great stuff. More than half a dozen different deep hollowing rigs
Long story short, he sold his studio/shop off in large chunks. There was SO MUCH... I bought everything but the machinist's lathe and tools and a few other odds and ends. He had a OneWay 2416 with a total of 14 FEET of bed inboard and a complete outboard setup that could turn 36 inches or more... I would have kept it if I could have found a way, I just didn't have the room. I found a buyer, got him his price and because I had bought so much and done more that well enough, I wouldn't take a commission... Like I said, we became friends. I used to go to do nothing more than visit a lot of times he just passed a few weeks ago. At this point, I just have clean up to do.
Find someone in a local club who knows what your things are and what they should bring when sold. Expect them to make some money, but make sure that your buyer/broker has a heart and respect for your circumstances.
I hope this turns out to be an interesting story and information you don't need.

My thoughts and prayers are with your wife and your family Paul. I fully appreciate your approach. I have helped with several estates over the past decade and a half and for quality equipment, I generally use a .65 factor of original price including taxes and then a discount to round off for a package. Lathe tools are more like $35 to $50 each if good and $10 to $20 for lesser brands. Chucks $100 to $125 and extra jaw sets $20 a set. When we sold,our hobby farm 15 years ago we rented for a bit less than a year. I made a spreadsheet of all my tools for insurance purposes. The grand total value blew me away.

If you can find a buyer willing to purchase as a package deal it may well be the best way to go.
The return on your investment on the tools may not be as high as if sold individually but will be a lot less work on your part.

My last lathe was purchased as a package deal, from someone who was physically unable to stand at the lathe any longer therefor he decided to sell (not an estate sale).
I purchased his large VL300 long bed along with many many accessories, chucks, every jaw set available a one way coring system an escollen chuck a VOD oval turning chuck etc. etc. etc.
I paid about 40% of retail then sold off what I did not need. For me it originally seemed like a lot of money upfront but in the end the process was very easy for the seller.

Condolences to you and your family.
John

As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over til it's over." If the biopsy isn't back yet, I'm hoping this turns out to be one of those false alarm stories. Failing that, I'm hoping it turns out to be one of those "The doctor said I had 6 months...12 years ago" stories. Crossing my fingers in Hope.

Back