• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Music, Music, Music

With all the talk of using noise cancelling ear buds I borrowed a pair from my son in law. I personally found having music in my ears while working on the lathe and the band saw interfered with my concentration. I have a blue tooth speaker in my shop playing music. I can't really hear it when I'm turning or have the dust collector on. That works best for me.

Are you able to concentrate while working with music in your ears?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have music constantly but it's background noise. I'm also in the camp of wanting to hear any strange noise coming from the lathe.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I don't think I can do much of anything without music... I need the background noise...

Just discovered these guys.... If you love the Beatles... You will bet tapping your toes!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYRP_qNcddA

robo hippy
Hey, that was great, Robo! :D

My little cheapie stereo isn't that loud, even when the volume is all the way up! I have no problem hearing the lathe sounds, and enjoying the good vibes at the same time. :)

I also listen to conservative talk radio while I turn......keeps me up to date on the issues of the day, and it also keeps me from being influenced by the fake news networks. :eek:

-----odie-----

I'm like John Lucas- I want to hear the turning. Some of you might recall I posted a thread on this. Heard an odd noise and found what could be a big problem. No noise, wives, dogs, cats (only if the dogs chew on them and stay quiet), grandkids in the shop unless the two-legged ones are turning or working with wood.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058

It all depends on what I’m doing. Some tasks I welcome the distraction like when I’m texturing for hours on end or roughing out green blanks. I usually don my 3M wireless ear protection because I don’t want the shop’s radio blasting to overcome the tool(s) in use. The headphones have FM, AM, and Bluetooth connectivity; my iPhone connects right up if I want to listen to my own music.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
h2995CAD6

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
LOL, one of favorite bands, ever. I hate to keep quoting @AlanZ but, I'm not alone or crazy when I say that my noise cancelling QC 30's not only cancel noises, but, my hearing is enhanced. I can still hear the lathe, and or any sounds, like the tool cutting, or the knock of a crack that suddenly appeared... You cant obviously listen to loud music and turn, but I do listen to music softly. I have my headset set at 3 hours, so they won't disconnect or turn off. I have 30% loss of hearing, again I have said this several times, I like to protect what hearing I have left, I cant see myself in the shop all day, almost 7 days a week and be working without hearing protection. Now, if you only briefly and or sporadically get to turn, then maybe hearing protection is not needed....

I got used to background music when I was in seminary. I found a classical station and now that is 99% of what I listen to. I can see background music while finishing or carving, etc. My new car doesn't have a CD player which is a bummer. Has BT but you can't program the audio system while moving. #$%& I have some oldies CD of 50s and 60s music on my Android phone.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Listening to 50's jazz lessens the likelihood of a catch.

Too confusing for me ... I would think that I'm either on hold or in an elevator ... and then I would start looking for the prescription bottle or trying to remember which floor the doctors office is on.

Bill, I have found there are people who take pity on us oldtimers and show us the door to the doctor's office. All we need to do is remember why we are there. This is where SWMBO proves to be handy.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Any kind of catchy tune puts one at risk of getting a catch.
Decades ago, I played in nightclub bands. I am probably overly attuned to music of almost any kind.
I'm happy to see so many who listen to the tools without music. Personally, for me it provides the best chance of keeping the focus on the lathe and the sharp tools. Until now, I have always agreed with Robo Hippy (Reed Gray), but foot tapping while turning leads to dancing. Dangerous when mixed with sharp tools and spinning wood.

odie

TOTW Team
Although I do generally agree with those who do not listen to music while they turn, I'll state my belief there are those who do what they do, because that's what they want to do.......and, then there are those who do what they do, because that's what others think they should be doing. Concentration is a state of mind.......but ah yes, there should be rules, but only those self imposed, as a result of knowing thyself! :D

I used to work in a manufacturing environment, where many of the workers listened to radio, audio books, and played music. There was one woman who listened to the audio versions of her favorite soap box TV programs! There was an R&D guy who complained about all this. He said the practice meant a loss of concentration was the inevitable result. The CEO made the use of personal audio devices ok by company policy.....smart guy! Much of the work there, as well as much of the work I perform making my bowls, is repetitious and boring. For me, I find that bowl making only gets really interesting in the last stages of production.....plenty of boredom! Anyway, the R&D guy eventually got his own radio at his work station!
anim_lol.gif

Now.....I suppose I must state that if I were a lathe turning instructor, I'd advise against listening to any music while learning basic skills. I didn't listen to the radio in my own shop for about the first twenty five years......and, it was about twenty years ago when I first got myself a radio. I believe not having a radio is a very realistic safety issue for beginners.....but, at some point, it becomes a personal choice that isn't going to be a safety issue, if done with suitability to any individual.

Listening to music will definitely be a safety issue when the volume is very loud. Just where that "tipping point" will be, is a matter for the individual. There are those who believe that any audio input at all, is too much.....and, those who don't. For me, listening to music, or the radio is a choice.....and, there are times when I use my ability to make that choice! :D

-----odie-----

For what it's worth, I have a small bluetooth speaker which I pair up with my phone and many times while I am working on my lathe, I will listen to music or podcasts and the like. I've even tried audio books... It works pretty well for me... Although, Pro Tip: Audio Books can be very difficult to listen to and follow if you have the "Shuffle" function turned on.

I worked at hokey job after losing to the rats in the rat race. My job at the Rubbermaid plant was to use a type of table saw with a blade like a pizza cutter. Cut the yarn off the rejects- wraps in one container for disposal, the yarn for recycling. This was back in the corner of the plant away from everyone. I bought a $5 FM radio and listened to the local classical station for 8 hours a day! That was heavenly! Best job in years!
Edit- I was required to wear stainless steel mesh gloves. FWIW, never touched the glove to the blade. My predecessor fought the blade and the blade won. He got fired.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I worked at hokey job ..... Best job in years!...

You put your yarn in,
You put your yarn out;
You put your yarn in,
And you recycle it all about.
You do your hokey job,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

odie

TOTW Team
I listen to a lot of Opera. All the works by Mozart and Beethoven... It's soothing music...

You know......basically, I'm a rock and roller.....but, I do have several albums that have classical themes, too. I was really surprised that I have enjoyed opera! :D

Another, that has been really appealing is Blues, and especially blues harmonica! :D

Got to break up all the monotony of the mundane stuff in the shop! Music, and various radio programming does that nicely! :eek:

-----odie-----

Last edited:
I have a radio at my workbench that I always have on when I'm in the shop. At my workbench its easy to hear but not loud. When I'm at the lathe it becomes more of a light background noise and with the lathe turning or if I'm power sanding I can barely hear it allowing me to hear what is happening at the lathe. If I'm power carving then I sometimes turn the volume up.

Reading through the replies reminded me that there are probably very few of us who drive without some sort of audio going on — be it broadcast or in person (or both). Driving a car requires much more concentration than turning, sanding or whatever we do in our shops. If we listen while behind the wheel, I don’t think there’s much danger doing the same in the shop.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Reading through the replies reminded me that there are probably very few of us who drive without some sort of audio going on — be it broadcast or in person (or both). Driving a car requires much more concentration than turning, sanding or whatever we do in our shops. If we listen while behind the wheel, I don’t think there’s much danger doing the same in the shop.

At the same time, various distractions in the other driver's car are the main cause of wrecks. Despite claims of being able to multitask, we can only give 100% of our attention to something when it is the only thing that we're processing. Airline pilots don't listen to music while flying. I suspect that drivers in the Indy 500 don't either. Sometimes driving in DFW traffic doesn't seem too far removed from the Indy 500. :D

DFW Indy 500 at rush hour top speed of 1 mile an hour stopping and going for several hours if you want to go through or around. A root canal or colonoscopy is less painful.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
DFW Indy 500 at rush hour top speed of 1 mile an hour stopping and going for several hours if you want to go through or around. A root canal or colonoscopy is less painful.

Actually, other than LBJ it's bumper to bumper at a minimum of 75 MPH. Signaling to change lanes is optional unless switching more than three lanes at once. Use of horn is encouraged as are "hand signals" to greet fellow drivers. Some out of town folks mistake the LBJ parking lot for a freeway. "Drive Friendly" is a slogan seen on billboards, but everybody knows that slogans aren't meant to be taken seriously. :D

The last time I drove through Dallas at rush hour at the end of the work day it was bumper to bumper stop and go. Driving at 75 mph on the expressway keeps you on your toes waiting for the first set of brake lights to come on and seeing how fast everyone can slow down before they hit the car in front. Watching out of town rookies trying to merge onto the expressways is also entertaining.

At the same time, various distractions in the other driver's car are the main cause of wrecks. Despite claims of being able to multitask, we can only give 100% of our attention to something when it is the only thing that we're processing. Airline pilots don't listen to music while flying. I suspect that drivers in the Indy 500 don't either. Sometimes driving in DFW traffic doesn't seem too far removed from the Indy 500. :D

Bill, I think the kind of traffic you are trying to describe would be more like the old cult classic, Death Race 2000...... Had my daughter watch that one when she was learning to drive... Yes, I do have a strange sense of humor...

Biggest cause of accidents, in everything, other than stupidity is fatigue...

robo hippy

I’m 17 years old. It’s not often that a teenager doesn’t have an earbud in their ear. My shop is no different. I like to get a good beat going and it helps me concentrate and work more efficiently. It could be a difference in generations also. I will write essays for school with music playing, I can’t concentrate if it’s quiet.

I’m 17 years old. It’s not often that a teenager doesn’t have an earbud in their ear. My shop is no different. I like to get a good beat going and it helps me concentrate and work more efficiently. It could be a difference in generations also. I will write essays for school with music playing, I can’t concentrate if it’s quiet.

Welcome to the forum, neighbor! I agree it IS a generational thing. My daughter studies calculus or reads theoretical physics textbooks with wireless Bose headphones channeling her Spotify playlists. Me? Quiet room. There is much discussion in education about how the amount of background noise for students has risen dramatically since about 2000. Harming learning? Augmenting it? Or it makes no difference? Who knows; we still have 4.0 kids and valedictorians so it’s certainly not the educational poison some believe it to be.

We need to meet up one of these days!

Welcome to the forum, neighbor! I agree it IS a generational thing. My daughter studies calculus or reads theoretical physics textbooks with wireless Bose headphones channeling her Spotify playlists. Me? Quiet room. There is much discussion in education about how the amount of background noise for students has risen dramatically since about 2000. Harming learning? Augmenting it? Or it makes no difference? Who knows; we still have 4.0 kids and valedictorians so it’s certainly not the educational poison some believe it to be.

We need to meet up one of these days!
Definitely! My shop is always open if you ever want to swing by!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

That sounds like me when I was young and in college. Human nature doesn't change, but just the technology. My parents had kerosene lanterns for light and now it's LED lighting.

The college library was too quiet. I could almost hear myself sweat.

When I got out of college and into the world things were different. I was constantly in meetings, on the phone, or talking with groups of other engineers developing ideas or troubleshooting problems. If I went into the manufacturing final assembly line, it was deafening with all the pneumatic drills and rivet guns. If I went to a hanger to troubleshoot an aircraft problem, invariably there was at least one airplane doing an engine run up test. The only music was the ringing in my ears.

I have a radio in my shop that also plays CDs and something called cassettes ... Shows you how old that radio is. I like to have it on when building a computer or trying to fix a problem with one. But when it comes to woodturning my powered respirator drowns out other sounds, but I still sometimes get an ohrwurm that keeps me entertained.

Back