• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Design Question-Wall thickness

I am turning a dish with a segmented rim. The dish will be about 1.5 " high including foot and rim.
I'm not sure how thin to make the walls. Also, the foot I'm thinking about would simply be a rebate of, say 3/8" width, starting 3/4" from the outside edge.

Any comments or ideas appreciated. Design is not my stroong suit.

Joe

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
make a few full scale drawings. This will give you a good idea of what you like and don't like which is more important than what I like.

You didn't mention the diameter which is most likely more important the height.

If it is a 10" diameter plate a 3/16 in wall will work for many designs
If it is a 14" diameter collection plate then 1/2 wall thisckness would be better suited to both proportion and utility.

I prefer a foot that is anout 1/3 the diameter.

Happy turning
al

Last edited:
Thanks, Al. I did make the drawings, but am still not sure. The diameter is 8 inches. I'll try to make a picture of the work-in-progress.

Joe

Lookers can be thinner than users, that's for sure. But a lot depends on your design and desire. I think a lot about center of gravity in deciding how thin to go. If I'm turning tall and narrow-based, the edge has to be thinner, and I leave more at the bottom so the thing won't tip over.

With segments, you'll have very little end grain, so you can use an edge which would be too fragile on a piece cut from a single piece of wood.

Wall laws

Law #1: There are no laws governing wall thickness other than your sense of proportion. Michael has answered your question about as well as it can be answered. Go w/what you think will work. In any event, you will have learned something and that's important.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 275
a keeper

It looks like a keeper to me. The bowl's kinda nice too. ;)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Joe,

you have number 1.

As you go taller and wider, consider making a rim for the piece. Something for the fingers to lift it by and showing part of the segments when you look from the bottom.

happy turning,
Al

Back