• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

TAZ Ultra Wood Hollowing System

Does anyone know anything about this hollowing system or have experience with it: http://www.tazwellswoodworks.com/Taz-Ultra-Wood-Hollowing-System-Info.html It looks pretty impressive but expensive complete with laser at around $900--you have to email Taz for a price list. Thanks!
system.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I haven’t seen this system.
My first thought is that the front gate would be in my way a lot more than it would help with anything.

Take a look at the jamieson system or the sinner system.
They work. They don’t vibrate with a proper sized bar for the depth.

The big Jamison style can do 4 foot depths plus.

The articulated systems by Bosch and Hope are also worth a look.

I personally like the Hope system and jamieson.
Big advantage for me is that the Hope, Jamieson, & Bosch will accept hollowing bars from many manufacturers. I use my ancient Stewart bars & Bosch bars in both my jamieson handle and in my Hope. They also fit the Bosch.

Last edited:
I don't think I would want to be fiddling with the front piece while hollowing. Seems to be designed to handle problems I have never experienced with my home built Jamieson design that cost me about $25 to build. The rear slide is probably great when new but after laying around in the shop for a couple of years possibly would not work as smoothly as crap and dust accumulate.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Seems overly complicated to me as does the one made by Carter tools. The Jameison system is so simple and nothing to every go bad or break. I built my copy of his system probably 20 years ago. I still use it although I shrunk it down by cutting the horizontal bars to 4". When it's mounted on center like you are supposed to do there simply isn't any real twisting action so the "H" width doesn't need to be that wide. I am planning to build a system like Steve Sinner's this year out of thicker bars to use for deep hollowing. With Lyle's system if you apply wax to the bars it's so smooth you think your running on linear bearings. I just keep a wax candle handy and hit the surface every once in a while and it's unbelievable how smooth everything slides.
Here is a video of the TAZ system I found online. there are more if your really interested just do a search for TAZ ultra hollowing system.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=TAZ+Ultra+wood+hollowing+system&pc=cosp&ptag=G6C1N0002D011217A316A5D3C6E&conlogo=CT3210127&ru=/search?q=TAZ%20Ultra%20wood%20hollowing%20system&pc=cosp&ptag=G6C1N0002D011217A316A5D3C6E&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=1B0B89FBE29DF3A4A4E21B0B89FBE29DF3A4A4E2&FORM=WRVORC

I'm looking at the Harrison (Simple) hollowing system. There are so many hollowing systems on the market now that it is hard to choose.

I didn't come across that system when I was looking, so no comment. I ended up buying the Hope system with the camera. I don't plan on hollowing deeper than 12-14", so that is why I chose an articulate arm system. If I was going to do deeper I would have went with the Jamieson system. The other system I looked at was the Bosch system. It was close between the Bosch and Hope, but the Hope with a camera was less $$. I did buy several 5/8" Bosch boring bars for the Hope. The Hope 3/4" bars are fine, but really like the Bosch bars and fit the Hope system fine.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Lyle does make a heavy duty version for doing deep forms. I just thought the Steve Sinner bar would be easier for me to store. It takes up less space. That TAZ thing on the other hand would take up a lot of space.

Thanks everyone for the replies and useful perspectives on the TAZ system. I'm focusing on the Sinner and Hope systems at the present time.

At the Albuquerque symposium I tried every hollowing system there. They all worked really well. However the main difference was that most of them had many moving parts, especially elbows. Every moving part on a machine is a great place for something to go wrong, bend, get out of adjustment, or break. The real beauty of the Jamison system is that, except for two steel bars sliding over each other there are no moving parts. I suppose the bars will wear out eventually but not in my lifetime. If you keep the parts from rusting and spread a little polish or wax on them they are as smooth and easily to operate as anyone could ask.

I bought my Monster Hollowing system at the Albuquerque Symposium and have used it heavily for all these years and there is no play in any of the parts. Since the Monster is no longer made the Elbo Tool would be my hollowing system of choice and I am sure that it will last as long as the Monster. I started with the Jamison knock off but always felt it to be too wonky and got rid of it after the Albuquerque Symposium. You want the best hollowing system ever made get a hold of Alan Trout and have him build you his Pro-Rail Hollowing System.

I don't know much about the various hollowing systems. But, the TAZ design gave me an idea how to easily adapt hollowing to the CNC by utilizing a TAZ type swiveling tool guide mounted near the opening to the hollow vessel.

I still haven't quite figured out what hollowing is all about though. Aside from thinning the walls to avoid checking from drying, is there a purpose other than to impress other turners with your skill? I'm pretty sure I asked this question back when I first joined the forum, but can't find the posting or remember the answers I got.

Last edited:
it's just like a bass....a bass likes a roof over its head

I have the Taz system and am planning on doing a review.In the interim if you need any info contact me.I think it is the best system available on the market.The front tool rest bearings have been changed to an enclosed circle to prevent the tool from lifting.his tool holding system is very good and he can make holders for your hollowing tools.They included Monro, Wood Fast,Brother and others.You can contact me at glear@comcast.net

Back