• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollowing system laser light

Just picked up a club members no longer used elbow style hollowing system and am wondering what everyone suggests to replace the laser light? The one that came with it has seen better days. TIA

Paul

I use the elbow tool....have several calipers and depending I occasionally wing it......enough setup as is and need bottom thickness for series

What Tim sells for the Elbo laser is the Ron Brown laser. There is no replacement laser you will have to buy a diode and set it up to plug in or to a battery pack. Ron will not sell the laser separately as far as I have heard from others.I do not have a pic but https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CH53Y08/?coliid=I2XJ9JKVG1YVR9&colid=20RFV4H9AY8OR&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
is where I got what I use. I set the power to plug in using an old power supply changeable. Oh by the way if the Elbo you have is an old one with nuts to tighten Tim has now changed those to levers making tightening easier. After I saw his setup in 2016 at Atlanta I bought some for mine and even changed the knobs on the Ron Brown laser to.

Bizarre support system, but this laser costs $1 from Dollar Tree. Disposable - no facility for battery replacement.

Attachments

• LaserHolder.jpg
    LaserHolder.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 54

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I went online and purchase a laser (not a pen) and built my own. I tried to look up the place but didn't keep a bookmark and now can't find it so I can't help you. I will keep looking. I kept having the various laser pens go bad on me and it was always kind of hard rigging up a switch. With the laser I bough I just mounted a battery back on the back of my bar and a switch where I could reach it. Works much better.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Lasers are a good aid in judging the wall thickness.
Pretty much any laser with an on off switch that you can easily control will do the job.
A video system is an extraordinary tool fo measuring wall thickness.

I have tried the camera and easily decided to stick with the laser. With the camera you have added wires and a screen and you are no longer looking at the piece you are turning much less all of the gear you have added, With the laser you are looking at the piece and have no wires to tangle or a screen that can get knocked around. The camera added no savings as far as time as I still had to use the same tool changes and the laser dot allows me to get super thin if I want.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Here is a really good description of how the camera system works.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidLwThKHSw

I was always frustrated with the laser. I guess my hollow forms are too odd shaped. I felt like I was constantly adjusting the laser to keep it perpendicular to the wall to get an exact thickness everywhere. with the Camera system you draw an image around the drawing of the cutter the thickness of your walls and then never have to stop and adjust again. I have the small monitor (I have a 7") mounted on my headstock so I am looking at the monitor but also see the turning and can glance at it any time I want. At first you look at the turning a lot but as you get close to the final wall thickness you pay attention to the camera. I do need to buy a different camera to get more magnification but so far I haven't done any vessels with really really thin walls so this one has worked. I just bought a back up camera system monitor and all for $30. If you do some youtube searches you can find other systems people have put together. The one Alan shows is excellent although I just looked and the camera has gone up to $40.

Well I second, third... the camera. One of the main advantages is you see where the cutter is cutting and not have to reposition it where you need to reposition the laser if cutting on the tip or side. Like John, I am looking at the piece until I want to get to the final passes then looking at the camera. I bought my camera system with my hollowing system, Hope Hollowing system. I also have a small 7-8" or so monitor, but it is fine and don't want a larger system.

Martin Groneng

Dances the Gouge Jig
I can see it all now......... "desired, needed, gotta have, coming soon"................... a self turning lathe!!!! Then you won't need this site and your "better half" will know how to chuck your wood, but you will have to learn how to get your own beer!!!!! Then life will be so dull!!

it's really how involved complicated you want the experience to be.....just as what lathe you choose.....h_'ll many turners just do bowls and are happy.....that's all that my sis wants me to do.....so whatever however withever blank ....your choice

Back