• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jig for cutting segmented pieces on SCMS

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
Made this "micro-adjuster" for a DW708, could be adapted for other machines.

used a lamp rod which has fine threads and the brass couplings that come with them were soldered to copper plates that were tapped and screwed to a piece of angle iron. A piece of UHMW plastic is used a backstop.

with a small twist one can incrementally change the length of cut by a few thousands of an inch.

Micro_adjuster.jpg

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
More info

I was using just a stop block and the clamp, and with scraps would nudge it back and forth so that my cut was within a few thou of the required length. Frustation set in and having to make half nudges or quarter nudges was disapointing. I thought of using a micrometer head to fine tune the stop block, but the cost was too much so i came up with this alternative. the stop block is now moved with fine adjustments of the screw thread. Wasn't it obvious??

The segment length doesn't have to be exactly, or almost exactly the correct calculated length. The segments for any given ring just need to be all the same length.

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
a greek key detail ring

i will show how/why this jig evolved, all because of trying to make a greek key detailed ring.

first i tried a design found on a sewing forum based on a 5 x 6 pattern, so if the wood strip was 1/4" then a block was 5/4 by 6/4 . but the joints required more precision than i could get with nudging a stop block.

Key_1.jpg

then a friend found a pattern based on 5 by 7 but used mitred corners. in the pattern the white bits are identical so 4 pieces are done. then there are 2 other pieces that duplicate. the right side and bottom dark one and then the up-rights adjacent. to make these i had to get to within 5 thou in order for them to mesh together, even so i had to use the DS to fine tune the center piece to get them all to sit nice.

after several hours i had enough blocks to make the ring
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/Rusty_tools/many_pieces.jpg

so far i figure about 13 hours from cuting the stock to forming the ring.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/Rusty_tools/the_ring.jpg

the bowl is now in final finishing with some touch ups on the WB lacquer required.

13 hours..... :eek:

Holy Moses! How much time do you put into these things? I'm a perfectionist, but I don't think I have this much patience! :rolleyes:

Nice work!

Dr_dewey

Please share with us a picture of that bowl !

Gary

Back