• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw Options

Currently, I use a Shopsmith bandsaw to cut out my bowl blanks. The maximum depth of cut on this bandsaw is 6" and as a result I find that it is too small to cut larger pieces of wood. I am looking to replace it with another stand alone bandsaw and am seeking advice from the forum readers on which one to purchase. I do not have a lot of space and I believe a bandsaw that can handle up to a 10" depth of cut should meet the vast majority of my needs. Any feedback appreciated and thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,

DGD

You can get almost 12 inches of cut (resaw capacity) on a Delta-style 14 inch saw with an accessory "riser block." The downside is you're taxing the limits of the saw when you make cuts that thick. For occasional work, it's not a big deal. But if day-in and day-out you're cutting up heavy blanks and green lumber for bowls, you may be annoyed at the slow going. This can be minimized by getting the best blades and keeping them sharp! See Fine Woodworking April/May for a review on bandsaw blades.

Fine Woodworking also did a report on 18-inch bandsaws in the May June issue. A brand I never heard of, Rikon, was the "best value" winner. One thing that is missing from the article is the country of origin. I think, for the time being, you should avoid a Chinese-made saw. If for no other reason that the hardware, paint and casting quality on China-made machines is downright abominable. I own an Xcaliber 18-inch saw (sold by Acra Machine). It's made in Taiwan and is exactly the same as the Craftsman and Lobo saws featured in the article. It was not without flaws, but the motor is a brute (it's rated at 2 HP but it is bigger than any 2 HP motor I've ever seen). Even at the max resaw capacity (11 inches) it never bogs.

As far as space goes, the footprint of a 14-inch and 18-inch bandsaw isn't that different.

BH

Last edited:
While some harbor freight tools aren't worth the gas i would spend driving down the road to get, their 4 speed 14" bandsaw is a great saw for its price ($234 if you buy it on sale at the store). Propper riser blocks are now available again from the website, and most likely in the store as well, so no more retrofitting grizzly kits. If it has 1 down side it is the motor is only 1hp which means going through really big blanks (8 plus inches) a little slower than I would like, but in the grand scheme of things whats a few extra minutes compared to several hundred dollars of savings.

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Bandsaw/Chainsaw

I have a Delta bandsaw with the riser kit and for several years I have used a carbide tipped blade for cutting out bowl blanks. But, early on, I also purchased 2 good quality chainsaws, one gas, one electric. These are used a lot more often than the bandsaw ... at least for getting the bowl blanks partially balanced.

The reason I got 2 chainsaws is that I live in an urban housing development and the neighbors sometimes are a little upset if I fire up the gas chainsaw at, oh, say 4:30 in the morning, or after 9:00 at night. Can't imagine why though ...

I realize that advocating the use of an electric chainsaw may sound like heresy to many, but, if you get a good one (Stihl for instance, or Husqvarna) and keep the chain really sharp, you will be surprised what it can do. And you don't have to worry about 2 stroke fumes in the shop. Bit they are still noisy so wear ear protections as well as all other protective gear ... and make sure you know what you are doing. Chainsaws, bandsaws, tablesays, whatever ... they make zero distinction between wet wood, dry wood, skin-muscles-bone ... they just chew away whatever they come into contact with.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Have one of each myself. The electric sure helps with fumes in the shop and I don't have to go outside in the rain to cut stuff.

Have a no name 14" bandsaw with a riser, a 2hp motor, and a homemade extention table. I can cut 10" stuff with grumbles and complaints from the saw but no real problems. Total cost, $250 used (and got a second saw in the deal that I sold for $150 so do the math). Useless for fine cuts but great as a blank saw.

Dietrich

Another nice chainsaw option if you need to be quiet is an 18v battery saw. I have a permit to use a county permit for downed wood pickup and use this one some times to keep non permit holders from knowing what I am doing. It is also small enough I can throw it in a small backpack with some extra batteries.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm quite pleased with my Laguna 16" saw that has a 12" resaw.

Cutting big blanks on a band saw, say 16" diameter 10-12" high means your moving 80-150+ pounds of wood.
I have a hydraulic table that I put the larger pieces on to raise them and then it become an auxillary table for the band saw. This set up works really well. but it takes a 6x6 footprint + working area.

Like Dick, I still use the gas and/or electric chain saw for the really big pieces.
I try to cut the blanks as near round as I can. 8 sides or more. The electric saw (mine is a 16" poulin) I use inside or out. If you use an electric saw indoors, it will thow a tiny bits of bar oil from the chain nothing like the gas saws do but it can make the floor slippery or spatter something you care about - one more reason to keep a big pile of chips around.

All the serious injuries to our club members that I know of have come from bandsaws! Never push your hand or arm toward the blade.

Happy Turning,
Al

Last edited:
HF bandsaw

I've used a HF bandsaw w/riser block for just short of 2 years. It's never had a problem. Now HF bands are a different story--not very good. A very good band + the HF saw=alota bang for your buck(s).

It just occurred to me. Electric chainsaw=quiet. Battery powered=portable and won't need a 2-3000ft extension cord. Now I can do all those midnight burlectomies I've been driving past for years!!!!!!!!!!

MWAH, HAH, HAH, HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dkulze said:
It just occurred to me. Electric chainsaw=quiet. Battery powered=portable and won't need a 2-3000ft extension cord. Now I can do all those midnight burlectomies I've been driving past for years!!!!!!!!!!

MWAH, HAH, HAH, HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

down side of battery chainsaws is about a 5" max depth of cut, for a max 10 inch log. On the plus side it will still knock out a large hcuck of the cutting you do by hand which could also be taken care of by a cordless reciprocating saw running off the same kind of battery if you get a large pruning blade.

Last edited:
Where do you live, woodboy? We should get together. Maybe at the local arboretum. At 1am. Heh. Heh.

Dietrich

Wow- lots of responses- here is mine

I catalog ordered a grizzly bandsaw 2hp 220 volt with 12" riser. it works very well with no bog down. cost 450 dollars. a bit flimsy being its a souped up 14" but for occasional use ( 1-2 bowls a day) it is strong ( I only wish i had

Have come across a General (or General International) here in Canada. I know they make reasonable lathes (a bit on the expensive side) but know nothing else about the quality of their kit. Any opinions out there?

DGD

General adds the "international" label to their entry-priced Asian imports. I would ask the company where the machine is made.

Taiwan machines are way, way better than China-made machines.

BH

DGD,

I just went through the agony of chosing a new bandsaw. The Griz 1019Z that I had was a 14" with riser giving it 10" resaw capacity, but the 1hp motor was underpowered and 10" height wasn't enough for bowl blanks. I couldn't find an easy way to change out to a 2 hp 220v motor so I went shopping -- literally at the huge IWF show (having already done a lot of research).

The 2 things that I knew would be mandentory were: 1) a very minium of 12" height capacity; 2) 2hp min motor. My reaseach found a LOT of 17" bandsaws meeting these minimum all in the $1000+/- range. The new Griz G0555 is a 14" with 12" resaw capacity (w/ riser block) but still only 1hp motor. But, this saw is only $375 plus shipping0

Once you move up to a 14" resaw capacity and the 3 hp motor, you get into a whole differnt catageory of bandsaws where the prices are staggering. $2500+. Well, there's one exception. Griz has a new 21" saw that is VERY nice for $1395 plus shipping. Problme was this it is backordered until the 1st Oct and I needed to replace my bandsaw (I sold it) ASAP.
Probably the best bandsaw I found for all around price, specs and quality was the 17" Bridgewood from Wilke. I've bought several tools from Wilke and it's a pleasure to do business with them and Bridgewood is proven tried and true.
Problem was, the 17" bandsaw had a big sales run and they were backordered until Nov.

Bottom line. I got the Griz 17" bandsaw. Specs out the same as the Bridgewood except aluminum wheels (instead of cast iron on the BW), Euro-roller guides (instead of roller bearings on the BW) and Tiawan motor (instead of AMerican motor on the BW). $825 delivered. I'm satisfied.
If you can wait, I'd go for the Bridgewood if your budget can support $1000.

Website
sawsndust.com
I believe that in the long run, a turner should consider investing in a really decent bandsaw if they prefer a BS to prepare stock for the lathe instead of a chainsaw. It's the one stationary tool in a woodturning shop, other than the lathe, where you'll spend a bit of time. Given that the cutting often progresses to larger and larger hunks of wood, a heavy, stiff and powerful saw will make the job a bit more pleasurable...and often safer. I have found that the average 14" bandsaw that is hugely popular with hobbiest woodworkers to be pretty marginal for the type of cutting that one will likely do over time relative to turning. They are underpowered and don't have enough strength and mass to properly tension a blade for heavy cutting.

One doesn't have to spend thousands to get to the kind of machine I'll suggest. If you are really lucky, you can sometimes find an older, but heavy machine used that can be refurbished for the task at hand. The importers, such as Grizzly, General International and Wilke also have some nice offerings in the 16"-17" range that are Euro style machines that are heavy, sturdy and powerful for a little more than a premium 14" saw from Delta.

Of course, if you are a purest...just cut a log section with your chain saw and stick it on the lathe between centers to "make it into a blank"! :D

Back