• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

SIZE MATTERS ?

Does anyone have experience which confirms that Dave Schweitzer's gouges which are listed as .390, .515, and .631 inch diameters will or won't fit into third party handles and adapters listed as 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" ?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Does anyone have experience which confirms that Dave Schweitzer's gouges which are listed as .390, .515, and .631 inch diameters will or won't fit into third party handles and adapters listed as 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" ?

Do you have any handles in which you can measure the bore diameter? I don’t think any of my various branded handles have anywhere near tolerances that wouldn’t accept the Schweitzer dimensions. If I put shoes on, I’ll toddle on down to my shop to measure (hate it when I get shavings stuck to my warm woolies).

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
OK, because it’s for science (and that I made a claim) I had to go check — shavings and woolies be damned!

My Oneway handle has bore diameters of: .527” and .645”; my Hosuluk handle measures: .542” and .655”. I didn’t reach for the couple of Serious handles I have because — shavings.

If for some reason the tools were too tight for your handles, it would be a simple (and inexpensive) job to drill the bore slightly larger.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
OK, because it’s for science (and that I made a claim) I had to go check — shavings and woolies be damned!

You confirmed my suspicions, Owen. The ⅜" Schweitzer gouge is only 0.006" over and the other two are 0.015" over. My Michelsen handle expands a lot more than that. I would measure it except a senior moment stands between me and the "good place" that I decided to store my digital calipers.

Those are strange sizes for tool shafting. Within 0.003", they look more like metric conversions: 9.9mm, 13mm, and 16mm respectively.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When Doug Thompson first started making his tools the shafts he uses come oversize. I suggested that he make them a known diameter to fit everyone's handles which he now does. Don't know about Dave's tools but will probably save my money and buy one one of these days to see what all the fuss is about.

Back