• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW / Woodturning Age

What age are you?

• 18 - 20

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 51 - 60

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • 61 - 70

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Over 80

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
It might have been 18 years ago when our club started. I was one of the youngsters... 67 now... EEK!!!!!

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I am now 68.

Another thing to consider is when you started turning. I was 33, and I've never lost the enthusiasm I had for turning back in 1982, when I first mounted a block of wood to an old ShopSmith.....but, I guess it all depends on any individual's ability to apply time in a meaningful way. To be sure, it was a "slow and steady" progress......instead of many short term "leaps and bounds". I wouldn't trade my individual journey for the world! :D I do believe, very much, in the notion that there is a special benefit to progress made "little by little" over an extended period of time......it certainly does lead to a kind of contemplation and revelation that can be had no other way.

Is it any wonder that in tribal cultures, there is a special recognition of age, and thought to bring wisdom as a benefit of age. Of course it didn't apply across the board for all the elderly.....but some rose to an almost god-like status among their people.

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Acutally, I'm 70, Stephen. My father always said- It's not the age, it's the mileage. BTW, PM sent.

Well I'll join the 70 club next month. Odie and the shopsmith reminded me of my first turning attempt. I just started turning about 10 years ago. I had bought my brother's shopsmith and it came with the basic turning tools, so I thought I would try. Only had the shopsmith manual as instructions. I mounted a 4" square piece of stock about 6" long thinking I would make a fence post top. The first time I presented the tool to the work I had a catch and the piece came flying out of the lathe and across the room. I gave up as it scared the h out of me. it was about a year before I bought a Delta Midi and then got hooked.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm 68 so 1949 must have been a good year for Odie and I. I have good genes in my family so may make it into my 90's although I did a lot more wild activities than the rest of my family. Rockclimbing, Gymnastics, hiking and bicycling is all starting to take a toll on this bod. Still go the gym on a regular basis. One guy told me the other day that I was the youngest looking 68 year old he ever saw. Hope he's right.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Well <shameless plug>since today is my 61st birthday</shameless plug>, I'm glad to be feeling so young here on this forum! :D:D:D

John, I confess that I was a wild one back in the day but fortunately it's well behind me now. And I only had to lay my motorcycle down 3 or 4 times to finally get over bike fever. which reminds me of something...

"if at first you don't succeed, maybe parachuting isn't the sport for you."

:rolleyes:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mark I forgot about the motorcycle racing I did back when I was 20. fortunately I've only had a couple of extremely minor wrecks on the bicycle. I rode motorcycles all my life and finally had an accident 3 years ago. My now wife was on the back. fortunately that was pretty minor although we both have scars and few lingering minor problems. The insurance paid more than it was worth and I knew my wife would never ride it and would worry every time I did so I haven't purchased another one. I sure do miss riding though. At 68 my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be and the drivers are a lot worse so it's probably a good thing I quit.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark I forgot about the motorcycle racing I did back when I was 20. fortunately I've only had a couple of extremely minor wrecks on the bicycle. I rode motorcycles all my life and finally had an accident 3 years ago. My now wife was on the back. fortunately that was pretty minor although we both have scars and few lingering minor problems. The insurance paid more than it was worth and I knew my wife would never ride it and would worry every time I did so I haven't purchased another one. I sure do miss riding though. At 68 my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be and the drivers are a lot worse so it's probably a good thing I quit.

John, I know what you mean about those reflexes and other drivers to be sure...

In my early teens up into my 20s I did like to tear up the dirt bikes and so naturally it made sense to get a street bike. Same thing but bigger, right?. ;) After finally overcoming my annual bout of bike fever a while back bought a little 2002 MR2 Spyder. But with my back I could only drive it about an hour or so and then sort of limp out of the thing :-D

But for sure that was one fun hour. We may be in the flat down here but there are many lonely, twisty roads hereabouts. And that car was like a street legal go kart. I sold it after about ten years and someone got a great little car. 30,000 miles in 10 years.

odie

TOTW Team
Still got my bike......but, it's becoming a classic fast! I'll bet I don't put 250 miles on it per year these days. John.....I know what you mean about the deteriorating reflexes. Age seems to be taking it's toll.....and, reflexes are something you need to ride.

-----odie-----

IMG_0008.JPG.JPG

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... And I only had to lay my motorcycle down 3 or 4 times to finally get over bike fever. which reminds me of something...

"if at first you don't succeed, maybe parachuting isn't the sport for you."

:rolleyes:

I only had to fill all my pockets full of dirt and gravel once on a red dirt country road with a 90° bend to decide that motorcycles weren't for me. Actually, it was my brother's motorcycle so I told him that I kind of liked the handlebars pointing sideways. :D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Well Bill, there’s your sign that I’m no rocket scientist :D.

It just didn’t take the first couple times ridin’ Sideways.

I'm 68 so 1949 must have been a good year for Odie and I. I have good genes in my family so may make it into my 90's although I did a lot more wild activities than the rest of my family. Rockclimbing, Gymnastics, hiking and bicycling is all starting to take a toll on this bod. Still go the gym on a regular basis. One guy told me the other day that I was the youngest looking 68 year old he ever saw. Hope he's right.
I'm with you and Odie, I'm 68 also..... so 1949 was a good year for us!

Martin Groneng

Dances the Gouge Jig
Have a Happy One today, Mark! I still consider myself a "rookie" at 76+, but having a great "turning" time. Been at it for over 35 years and just spent 5 hours in the shop today. Hey, it's Christmas time and got lots of presents to turn. Just put a last coat on 2 pieces before midnight and tomorrow is another day. Have been an AAW member since February 1, 1992 and have attended a number of symposiums and will only quit when the bevel on my bowl gouge gets dull!!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mark I used to joke that one day I was going to buy a sports car that you actually had to roll into because it would be so low and aerodynamic. Now I am much happier with a 4 wheel drive truck with lifts so I just sort of slide in without ever bending over. :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Happy birthday!

Thanks Al! And thanks again for the souvenir from Pittsburgh. I have the privilege of looking at it all day long on my desk at work (sort of takes my mind off the pile of end of year paperwork you can see in the foreground!).

Attachments

• IMG_6824.JPG
    IMG_6824.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 21

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Have a Happy One today, Mark! I still consider myself a "rookie" at 76+, but having a great "turning" time. Been at it for over 35 years and just spent 5 hours in the shop today. Hey, it's Christmas time and got lots of presents to turn. Just put a last coat on 2 pieces before midnight and tomorrow is another day. Have been an AAW member since February 1, 1992 and have attended a number of symposiums and will only quit when the bevel on my bowl gouge gets dull!!!

Many thanks Martin! I'm doing a bit of the same myself. Finishing a couple things and waiting for the poly to set. And regretting using poly because the humidity is about 180% right about now. Inside :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Thanks Bill! That is a classic song too. I called my youngest brother on Monday (his birthday is the 18th) and blasted that song to him. :-D He's a recently retired USN pilot so you can imagine his reply. Which one of those smileys is a blushing face, by the way?

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark I used to joke that one day I was going to buy a sports car that you actually had to roll into because it would be so low and aerodynamic. Now I am much happier with a 4 wheel drive truck with lifts so I just sort of slide in without ever bending over. :)

John, I did it and lived to tell about it and can agree with you. I'm very happy in my F-150, although around here it's not a "real" truck because it's not a 4 wheel drive but I've hauled more logs than I can count. And it can't be beat for tailgating. And Mardi Gras!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Still got my bike......but, it's becoming a classic fast! I'll bet I don't put 250 miles on it per year these days. John.....I know what you mean about the deteriorating reflexes. Age seems to be taking it's toll.....and, reflexes are something you need to ride.

-----odie-----

View attachment 23961

Odie, that is one fine ride. If only I could have kept 'em on two wheels...

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, that is one fine ride. If only I could have kept 'em on two wheels...

Thanks, Mark :D

Once in awhile, I get the urge to sell it and upgrade my lathe.......but, it's a case of honoring my promises to my youngest son. I promised him he would get the Harley someday. Not before the time I think I can't ride anymore, though! :)

-----odie-----

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
So in other words, he won't be sitting on that Harley any time soon :)

odie

TOTW Team
So in other words, he won't be sitting on that Harley any time soon :)

Yep.....Ken will have to wait until I'm finished riding.....that could be a few years yet. No problem......he has an HD sportster 883 for himself right now. :D

-----odie-----
IMG_3158 (2).JPG

Back