• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Any news on the Powermatic 3520C?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I see CSUSA is no longer offering the 3520B in their catalog. Must have sold them all........wondering if that means they are waiting for the 3520C to be introduced......?

The 3520C is not on the Powermatic site.......

-----odie-----

Here in a month or so, I'm going to be buying a lathe. Some lathe. It sure would be nice if the C was out by then.

I don't know much about PM lathes.......but, it seems an insult to potential purchaser's intelligence to suggest item "D" , anti-rotation tailstock key, is one of a "vast collection of new innovations"? My old Delta home shop lathe from the 1940's had that.

Saw Nick Cook demo-ing one last weekend at the Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory, NC. It struck me as very tall, wide and robust (no puns please)... (Nick was making his magic salt shakers - very friendly guy...)

Ely

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yea Nick is a great guy. He has been in on the development of the various Powermatic lathes since the beginning. I think Rude Osolnik was heavily involved in the design of the first 3520. Every since then Nick has been in on it as well. I know he had a lot of input on the new 2442 which is a fantastic machine. I put in my 2 cents worth when I had 3 of the Powermatic engineers over for 2 days of turning classes. We put them on 3 different lathes so they could all experience the pros and cons of various features. I like to think some of that went into the development of the 3520C because they were working on that when they took my class.

odie

TOTW Team
I see the 3520c is now available from Packard in the most recent catalog, page 51.

Still seeking input from those who own this lathe.

Price $4500 w/free shipping.

-----odie-----

I see Packard does not list the 3520c online right now......was it listed online, or just in the catalog? It looks like whatever they had might already be gone! Wow......that was quick! :D\

The 3520c is still not on the Powermatic site.....and CSUSA doesn't have it yet either. :(

-----odie-----

Last edited:
You might call CraftSupplies. My Oldtimers prevents me from recalling the fellow's name, but their equipment guy is really knowledgeable and helpful.

odie

TOTW Team
You might call CraftSupplies. My Oldtimers prevents me from recalling the fellow's name, but their equipment guy is really knowledgeable and helpful.

Yeah, I think I know who you mean.......the same guy I talked to when I bought my Woodfast lathe in 1992, and also the same guy I talked to when I purchased my VS kit a dozen, or so years later. I can't remember his name either, but he works in the warehouse, and assembles machinery......their technical adviser. He did impress me as being quite knowledgeable.

He's not those who Bill mentioned....unless things have changed.

I'm not going to purchase a new lathe in the near future, though......just very curious about how the new owners of the 3520c like the lathe. :D

It's my opinion that a rotating headstock would better fit my needs than a sliding headstock......but, I could eventually convince myself otherwise, I suppose! :eek:

-----odie-----

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Odie I know that most of us end up liking the system we have but I find that sliding the tailstock so I can work off the end of the lathe sure is easier on my back. I have a swing away now which makes it easier. I also have the lathe mounted buffing and it gives me more room to buff without hitting the ways. With larger bowls it helps a lot.

Odie.....I had a rotating head stock on my 1st lathe....Reeves drive full size delta......the head stock was not the problem.....it's the tool rest......they give u an extension for your tool rest which is bolted on to the tool rest.....you cannot tighten it enough.....it gets pulled into the turning......u think I got to tighten this.....forget it......accident waiting to happen

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Odie.....I had a rotating head stock on my 1st lathe....Reeves drive full size delta......the head stock was not the problem.....it's the tool rest......they give u an extension for your tool rest which is bolted on to the tool rest.....you cannot tighten it enough.....it gets pulled into the turning......u think I got to tighten this.....forget it......accident waiting to happen

We might have the same model lathe. My old lathe that I no longer use is the Delta 1440 "Boat Anchor" (model 46-715). As you said, the cantilevered tool rest is a problem. Also, rotating the headstock means that you also have to change your turning position to stay out of the line of fire and then you're being crowded by the headstock.

After one or two times I quit rotating the headstock and realized that sliding the headstock worked much better for me.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie I know that most of us end up liking the system we have but I find that sliding the tailstock so I can work off the end of the lathe sure is easier on my back. I have a swing away now which makes it easier. I also have the lathe mounted buffing and it gives me more room to buff without hitting the ways. With larger bowls it helps a lot.

You know Fred, when I say I think the rotating headstock would be good for me, it's because I have become accustomed to leaning my hips against the lathe while doing interior work on bowls. This is how I've learned to do it, and I do like it. It gives me great stability, while still allowing freedom of movement through back, shoulders, and arms. Admittedly, I have never turned on anything but a longbed with fixed headstock......so, my thoughts on changing that is theoretical. I'd probably adapt, if I had a sliding headstock, but I know I'd lose that sense of stability I've grown to like.

-----odie-----

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
You know Fred, when I say I think the rotating headstock would be good for me, it's because I have become accustomed to leaning my hips against the lathe while doing interior work on bowls. This is how I've learned to do it, and I do like it. It gives me great stability, while still allowing freedom of movement through back, shoulders, and arms. Admittedly, I have never turned on anything but a longbed with fixed headstock......so, my thoughts on changing that is theoretical. I'd probably adapt, if I had a sliding headstock, but I know I'd lose that sense of stability I've grown to like.

-----odie-----

Odie I have my ways marked where I set the headstock, which is somewhere close to the center of the lathe. This gives me room for the tail stock to be used while turning the outside of a bowl and doing the tenon. With the head stock there I can swing the tail stock out of the way and like you do stabilize my body by leaning against the lathe much like you do. Everyone has their favorite way to work and this is how I like to do bowls.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think the rotating headstock would be good for me, it's because I have become accustomed to leaning my hips against the lathe while doing interior work on bowls. This is how I've learned to do it, and I do like it. It gives me great stability, while still allowing freedom of movement through back, shoulders, and arms.

That's OK for you youngsters who can twist their backs and not wind up in the ER :D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I used to like a rotating headstock. I liked the position and how I stood to use it. I had a Nova 3000. What I didn't like was the cantilever banjo to reach out that far. The Newer Nova has a beefier Banjo and so does the Powermatic. I talked to friend to day who is going to get one. She has been using an original made in the USA Powermatic 3520 that was originally owned by Charles Alvis a former AAW president. She had an offer to buy it and had been thinking about upgrading to the 3520C.

Happy Tksgiving.....Nick

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Has anybody try to call Powermatic? I have called and talked to Omega lathes owner Rod Caddaye. Super friendly and good service even for lathes that are way out of warranty. I would not want to buy a lathe from a company that is not reachable. Also, called Vicmarc in Australia, 2 rings and you are on... Looks like this secrecy launch date and no one knowing what’s going on is only hurting business. Is this powermatic build in China?

Has anybody try to call Powermatic? I have called and talked to Omega lathes owner Rod Caddaye. Super friendly and good service even for lathes that are way out of warranty. I would not want to buy a lathe from a company that is not reachable. Also, called Vicmarc in Australia, 2 rings and you are on... Looks like this secrecy launch date and no one knowing what’s going on is only hurting business. Is this powermatic build in China?
Emiliano,

Both Jet & Powermatic are owned by the same parent company. It is my understanding that the designers & engineers are in Tennessee, but the manufacturing is done in Republic of China (not People's Republic).

Yes China. Right now a lot of companies are have trouble getting die cast parts. The China gov't has been shutting down these high polluting companies. And then you have to go through a new company which, from knowledge I've received from a well known woodturning tool company, is not easy. The new companies are not passing quality control tests for die cast parts.

Could easily be this for powermatic also. They all seem to use the same companies.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
This die-cast model car story is about 3½ years old, but it appears to be indicative of a common problem.

About ten years ago, Mattel had a massive recall of toys that had lead contaminated paint. The story in the NY Times had a very sad ending. Fisher-Price had a similar recall.

Also, here's an interesting report in the August 2012 issue of LINKS, a publication of the US Diecasting industry about the shifting cost advantage of domestic versus China made parts.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
For personal experience, I much prefer a product made in the USA or Australia. Maybe an English or German Lathe I wouldn't mind trying. But I try to stay away anything made in China. They dont seem to take pride in their work like a small company like Omega Lathes or Robust does. Perfect example is this secrecy with their new lathe... Some companies do have good customer service, they seem to know that a good percentage of their tools, are going to be faulty, so they fix or replace whatever. Not sure if Oneway is made in Canada...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
ONEWAY is a Family owned and run company. You can always get Cindy or Kevin by phone or email.
Robust is owned and run by Brent English who is easy to communicate with.

2006-2010 I delt with powematic frequently. Barry Schwieger was easy to talk with.
he made many trips to Taiwan. Powmatic hands on in Taiwan ensured quality. A difference with a big corporation is that Barry has moved on. The corporate jobs have turn over every 3 to 5 years as people move up the ladder, business units are restructured, etc.

The most requested lathes by the AAW demonstrators in Portland are
13 requests for Powermatic
11 Oneway
8 Vicmark
4 Robust
2 Jet

Chris Ramsey did a demo at our club last month. We have a Powermatic 4224, however He won't turn on anything but a Oneway. He brings his own lathe when he demos. Great demo.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I was told by the Powermatic engineers that they have people in China checking on quality control all the time. He said they have the skills to do it right but will cut corners if not checked on frequently. Can't say China is the only place where that happens. Everyone is chasing the buck and cutting corners where they can.
Mark St Leger used to travel with his lathe to do demos and I have done the same. You are so much more comfortable on your own equipment it makes the demo's go better.

China can and will built German engineering quality if you want. You just have to pay for it. Most people go to China for the cheap stuff, and of course low wages and very little environmental controls on factories and worker compensation costs.

I've bought so many things from China where the shipping is the most expensive item on the invoice. Unless of course you can get it through China post to Canada. Canada seems to have an old agreement with China where mail delivery is free. Albeit very slow 30-40 days as it is back of the line because it is free.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Chris Ramsey did a demo at our club last month. ...however He won't turn on anything but a Oneway. He brings his own lathe when he demos. Great demo.

(Not directed at William)
To some this may sound ludicrous and snobbish, but years of working with a lathe develops muscle memory, automaticity, and a high level of familiarity that carries across a lathe family. Nothing worse than searching for and fumbling with a control due to unfamiliarity, and the safety aspects of this rank pretty high. Just look at Al’s post up there ^ at the lathe requests for the AAW symposium — there’s a reason for the question and variety of responses.

Back