• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Finish & Wood Polish

I have been making some different compounds for friction polish and paste wood finishes.
I was looking for some containers to put these different compounds in and ran across
some petroleum jelly containers at the Dollar Store. The containers are about the right
size for holding the different paste and finishes I have been making. I was wondering if
anyone has had success with using petroleum jelly in any wood finishes.

Mike, I find a lot of good container like stuff in the camping section, something like this might work for you...
http://www.coghlans.com/products/squeeze-tubes-7605a

I found these, but would have to look for a less expensive place for purchase...
https://www.rei.com/product/892693/nalgene-straight-side-jar-2-fl-oz

I use 4 ounce canning jars to decant my oil finishes into (Ball Mason jars, two part top) I know glass jars don't mix with concrete floors,
but so far so good.

Sorry Mike, just reread your post, no, I've never used P/J as any kind of wood finish, I did read about a "life hack" whatever that is, where they said you could use Spam as a furniture polish...Wrong in so many ways...

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Petroleum jelly never dries or cures so it seems like it would only be useful for a product with that characteristic. I personally think that it wouldn't be a good idea. I envision petroleum jelly causing a polish or finish to become a dust catcher.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I love spam. Of course it's a delicasy in Hawaii. Never thought about using it as furniture polish. I have to wonder what kind of mind would even think of that. Perhaps if you grill it the char marks would make a good abrasive.
I'm with Al. I don't think Petroleum jelly would make a good finish.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I love spam. Of course it's a delicasy in Hawaii. Never thought about using it as furniture polish. I have to wonder what kind of mind would even think of that. Perhaps if you grill it the char marks would make a good abrasive.
I'm with Al. I don't think Petroleum jelly would make a good finish.

Here in Texas, armadillo has nudged out Spam as the meat of choice. I'm surprised that possum isn't the favorite in Tennessee. :D

Armadillo- possum on half shell. My TN wife was always kidded about eating possum. Seen them crawling out of too many dead things.
Trivia- auto shop owner said PJ is great for vinyl tops.

Wrap glass jars with clear packing tape. It won't keep the glass from breaking, but at least the broken pieces are constrained. With enough layers, it can also be waterproof.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Possum isn't too bad, but the fat is sort of tacky like wood glue. Probably good for greasing a lot of things. If anybody wants to know, armadillo tastes sort of like rattlesnake which is often mistaken for chicken except for the difference in bones. I'm not positive, but I think that I did eat armadillo once.

Back