• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Teaching Kids

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Our club was awarded the EOG lathe. This Saturday we have a club meeting, were I will be doing the demo, showing what I learned at Arrowmont with Emmet Kane, and we will we setting up the lathe!! I approached the principal at my son's former high school. I'm still the head coach for the air riflery team there. The school has a program called "Winterim" were kids get to choose an activity. This could be a week at a riding stable, a windsurfing camp, working at the local animal shelter, even traveling... Imagine my surprise when they told they love the idea of a woodturning winterim!! I will have my Stubby and the Nova small lathe. I'm thinking 4 kids... Now I have to come up with a plan... If anybody has done something similar, all ideas are welcome... Aloha

First, emphasize and demonstrate proper safety- hearing, eye protection- preferably a full face shield. Second, plan on a simple turning project to get them started. My grandson made two pens for his parents' birthdays. Not really difficult with the proper wood. My grandson chose acrylic and Arbor vita! What a way to start. Third, take breaks as younger kids have short attention spans. You can spot this by watching them. If they start to wander mentally, take a break. Good luck.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Acouple of things to consider. Most kids in turning classes will be taking their last turning class.
Much like little league baseball is the last organized baseball most kids will play.
While they don't get started toward a professional career in either they will gain an understanding and appreciation that lasts a lifetime.

The AAW has a wealth of information on safety, projects etc.
http://www.woodturner.org/?page=TTFProjectsResource

Kids at the high school level will have the range of motion and hand strength to do bowls and boxes.
Youung kids might get a pressure fit box lid on to turn it but they can't get it off and they don't have coordinated range of motion to hollow a bowl by pulling the tool handle toward them. There are of course individual exceptions.

I suggest you organize a set of projects that build on each other. A Bonnie Klein spinning top is a great first project. After they do the first one they can begin to experiment a bit with shape, colors, chatterwork etc. they only need to know how to make a cove.

We did summer camp classes for 6-11 graders. Five days. 3 hrs, 1 hr lunch, 3 hours.
Tops, gavels, napkin rings, pens, lidded box, small bowl, free class to do whatever.

Haven fun

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I should add when selecting projects. They need to be ones the teacher and assistants are comfortable teaching and ones you have enough tools for the students.
We found that sharing 2 chatter tools among 5 students worked fine. One drill press shared to drill mortises in gavel heads works.
But everyone needs a parting tool, spindle gouge, spindle roughing gouge, .........

It is a good idea to have an assistant. You could probably handle 4 however an assistant is a real assset. Non turners can assist an learn to point you where you are needed.
An all day class requires a plan for lunch.

For a child beginner, what comes to my mind is a spindle turning project that they can take home. A pen has already been mentioned, but something like an ice-cream scoop, a "magic" wand, a key ring, pizza cutter, etc might also be nice.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thank you everybody ! I will, hopefully have an assistant. Maybe a few. It is after all, a club project... Good idea about making one of those Kits things!! They can take that home, and have it in the kitchen... Pens are super easy, and they can use it in school... I have to give the school a budget. I could preorder all the kits... Safety is a must... Again, appreciated. Aloha

Emiliano, as you know the Badger Woodturners support the turning component for the wood shop at one of the High Schools in Madison...we have three classes of six students on lathes for six weeks each. That comes to about 30 hours per student and over 100 or so students per school year. The first order of business is safety...clothing, hair and spinning machinery! Starting with spindle turning...making the lumber round, beads and coves, French rolling pin, honey dipper, spinning tops and an egg or two (not in order) ultimately progressing to small bowls, goblets. A very few will try a lidded box toward the end of the experience.

So, safety, tool presentation and control, following the bevel and starting with spindles is the approach. With six lathes it means that keeping tools sharp, instruction and did I mention safety keep the team busy!

You may have problems with some of the crazy grain wood that you grow on Maui (lol) but I would recommend starting with spindle turning and finishing with a small bowl...

You may need to build a box so the kids can reach your Stubby! You have my number...

Just reread your posts...we don't use kits but do try to have ample 'pre-sized' turning stock available. There will be false starts! You'll need multiple blanks for each project for each student...Too much to think about?

As an aside, my grandson was nine when he turned his first pens. Saw him at church yesterday and he asked when i was going to get a pen turning class for him. Was for his birthday but schedules are hard to coordinate.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Just reread your posts...we don't use kits but do try to have ample 'pre-sized' turning stock available. There will be false starts! You'll need multiple blanks for each project for each student...Too much to think about?
Bob, I think you should plan your next visit so you can help me with the class!! You are right, we might need extra kits... But, I have to give the school a cost of the week... I'm thinking a fee to cover all the supplies we will using, and get some kits, so they can proudly take home a nicely made pizza cutter or something... Your help will be great!! Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
As an aside, my grandson was nine when he turned his first pens. Saw him at church yesterday and he asked when i was going to get a pen turning class for him. Was for his birthday but schedules are hard to coordinate.
Thanks for the story, love it.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Other than a pen, I would avoid kits as an unnecessary expense. There are so many small spindle turnings that don't require kits like ornaments, honey dipper, tops etc. If you are constrained on time, like a bit over an hour, forget any demo or group instruction. We have a similar school program with 4 lathes. Each student has a one on one instructor. A sample project is shown and they learn by doing with close supervision. You do need some sandpaper and finishing supplies. Make a burn wire for each lathe as they love burn rings! Start with a beads and cove stick. Make it simple and fun and don't get carried away with too much detail. They really are not that interested in learning the fine points of tool technique. Scrapers are good. Keep projects small and wood cut appropriately. If you make bottle stoppers, have the blanks cut with the dowels already glued.

Emiliano, I am on travel with limited internet. We just did a camp for middle school (Michael Mocho was lead). We started with knives and carving, then did 3 days on lathe. 5 days total 2.5 hrs per day. More details when I have better internet.

Back