• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Saving for a new lathe ($2800) which one?

About a year from now I'm gonna upgrade my lathe. The HF34706 suits me fine right now as I'm learning. I've set a budget of around $2800 (as in PM3520b) In that price range what other lathes should I be considering?

Jim

PM is a sure thing.

I spent a year researching and testing lathes in the 3520 range. That has to be the best deal for the bucks available. Even considering deals and discounts, this is a great lathe for the $$$$.
I just restored a PM which was flooded in Hurricane Katrina. They are made to take a beating. Good luck with your purchase.

Stoppy

I think a lot depends on the type turning you plan to do and what size of product. I do primarily spindle turnings, for me a Jet 1642 with a bed extension is perfect. If I did bowls, maybe a PM 3520 or a Vega Bowl lathe would be some of the many I'd look at.

What is best is both dependent on what you to do along with personal preferences.

Paul

Aside from the Jet and PM models mentioned there is the vega and the Nova DVR. I think you will find that the PM3520B is the best value out there period. I have the 3520A and have nothing to want more.

Best deal

If you search the lathe threads on just about all the wood turning sites you'll find that the PM 3520b is the best lathe for $ spent. Our club Pres. just bought one for $2450.00 delivered.

Think seriously about the PM 3520 B. Got mins several months ago and find it to be outstanding!

Ron Wilson

Ditto with Ron W.

Arbud,

Who did your president get a delivered price for $2450 from. Toolnut by any chance?

David

Pm 3520b

This looks like a Jet 1642 painted an awful yellow, what makes it worth almost $1,000 more?

Also, where do you get the darn things? I've been looking all over and can't find anyone selling them.

arbud said:
If you search the lathe threads on just about all the wood turning sites you'll find that the PM 3520b is the best lathe for $ spent. Our club Pres. just bought one for $2450.00 delivered.

Should be easy. I got mine from Woodcraft.

Joe

Back