• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Salad Bowl Finish Technique

This is a noobie question so be gentle....

I made a bowl out of Jacaranda and sanded it down to 600, used bees was and danish oil for the finish. Yesterday used it for some potato salad and after giving it a quick rinse i noticed the grain came back up and its rough in some areas.

Is there a different finish i should be using? How do i make the bowl "water proof"? Does buffing the wax make a difference?

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Steven. Danish oil.is a mixture of linseed oil and varnish and a solvent such as Stoddard solvent. It should ideally be allowed to cure for at least three weeks before applying the wax. If you apply the wax right away it will slow down the curing of the Danish oil.

If the wood wasn't thoroughly dry that can also affect the results. Some tropical wood species take a long time to dry.

Did you allow enough time for the finish to cure? I have heard it takes at least 30 day's for a finish to completely cure.

No finish is truly waterproof; some are more water resistant than others. Epoxy finishes are probably the most waterproof. Although danish oil contains varnish, the amount of film buildup from applying danish oil is probably a lot smaller than applying a primarily film finish, such as the various polyurethanes, epoxies, etc.--so the amount of water resistance is less.

I'm not convinced it was the quick rinse of your bowl that raised the grain; I'm thinking it might have been the longer time exposure to the potato salad.

Your finish could be minimal (use vegetable oil, walnut or edible linseed oil, or mineral oil). I've seen many people do that with wooden salad bowls that are exposed to (lettuce) salad and dressings.

One last comment: I've occassionally done an alcohol, or alcohol/water wipe before my last sanding. The theory is you intentionally raise the grain a bit, then, sand it down. I don't know what the water resistance of this would be, compared to just sanding through the various grits.

Just my opinions :)

Yeah, what everybody else said.

You said that you "used bees was and danish oil for the finish". Did you use them in that order, and, how many coats of Danish oil?

Back