• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New lathe - Jet 1221, not big but s-w-e-e-t

Got a little extra jingle in my jeans this month and forked out for a Jet 1221.This puppy packs quite a bit into a small package, am impressed! For anyone who's just gotten one, or is about to order one, here's a recommendation: break in the brushes before putting it under load. Mine had a scritchy noise when run in reverse, I called the vendor, and they mentioned that being a common concern, and that it was the brushes. Then I remembered: the Nova Comet II manual directs users to run the motor at a fairly high speed for 30-40 minutes before putting the lathe under load. I did this with the Jet 1221 today, at various speeds 2000-3500 rpm, and the noise went away.

I'll still use the old Jet 1236 for much of my bowl turning, especially wet out-of-balance stock, but the 1221 handles much heftier stock than expected, can turn really s-l-o-w, and holds its speed well. Darned things weighs 50# more than the last spindle lathe -- good for a bit of bowl turning, not so much for taking to club workshops.:D Instant reverse is pretty slick too.

I've only been turning for about two years now and I started out with a 1221VS, mainly because it wasn't all that expensive and I didn't know if I'd be sticking with woodturning as a hobby. It served me very well until I felt the need for something with a larger swing and a little more power. I didn't have the space in my garage for two lathes and so I sold my 1221 on Craigslist and bought a Jet 1640EVS.

I agree Jamie, the 1221VS is a great little machine. I wish I had known about breaking in the brushes before putting the motor under a load. Mine had the same issue, and when I called Jet to inquire about it, their advice was to ignore the sound because the lathe comes with a 5 year warranty.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I used to recommend the Delta Midi which I own, but since using the new Jet I recommend it for 2 reasons. It's heavier, and more mass means less vibration which is great. Jet also has a better reputation for customer service than Delta. Both are excellent lathes but I give the nod to Jet.

It posed for me today -- I thought to myse'f: "Well, of course it can turn bottle stoppers, let's see what it does with a maple bowl
blank." A pretty dry blank, granted, but it was rough and I was able to start it out at 250rpm, with lathe not anchored to the table (yet). Am wondering if this lathe, anchored to a weighted table, might replace the 1236 and give me more ROOM in the shop! We'll see. What's the curb weight of an old blue 1236 anyways?

Jet 1221.jpg

I bought one as a step up from the 1014 I have used for years for pens. Kind of a transition to see If feel I want to go bowl turning in my future. I went ahead and got the extension as well as the entire stand.

I've been learning bowls on it. I believe the size has keep me out of trouble. I've stuck to small bowls as l learn. I'm very happy with it. I'm a happy with the stand as well. It's pretty simple to adjust the lathe up and down a few inches and it's really nice having the waste just pile up on the floor instead of the table under it. I always found it hard to adjust my workbenches up and down after I build them. I no longer make do in that regard.

As a welder and a wood worker I could easily build a stand, I just decided to splurge. Takes about 20 minutes to put the stand together.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jamie I had a Delta 46-700 which was sort of Delta's version of the larger Jet you have. It kept breaking the Reeves drive pulleys. One time while they were on back order I purchased a Nova Comet. At that time it was the first cast iron mini lathe of that size. It ran so much smoother than my Delta as soon as I got it repaired I sold it. The Comet only had 10" of swing but I could actually turn a larger bowl with less vibration than I could with that Delta that had 12" of swing. You may find that you enjoy turning a lot more on the Jet and your bigger jet just sits.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's interesting. Delta came to our club and I think the Memphis club as well saying they were designing a new mini lathe what would you like on it. They followed most of the things our club mentioned. It is a good lathe it's just the factory is going down the tubes. The people who designed the Jet mini came to our club shop and spent the weekend taking lessons from me and 3 other club members. They wanted to learn what the lathe was all about. We put them on 3 different lathes including the Delta midi. This new jet and the new bigger 16" came from those guys. Sweet machines.

Since the Delta midi was on the market years ahead of the Jet, it would be the other way around ... the Jet is WMH's answer to the Delta midi.
Whoever came first, Delta seems to have faded into the background. Given their CS rep these days, I wouldn't buy anything Delta now (but will keep my 12.5" planer and Unisaw, thank you. :D)

The people who designed the Jet mini came to our club shop and spent the weekend taking lessons from me and 3 other club members. They wanted to learn what the lathe was all about. We put them on 3 different lathes including the Delta midi. This new jet and the new bigger 16" came from those guys. Sweet machines.

There's a Jet/Powermatic sales venue across the water from me (south of Seattle), they sell new and "surplus". That's where the 1221 came from, had been used to train Jet people, supposedly, saved over $200. My dust collector had a small ding in the mesh surrounding the canister filter -- $175 saved. My 6" jointer was used at the Woodworking Show the week before I bought it. Saved a bunch, can't remember, but I paid $385 for it , ~2008 or 2009. Next up? Perhaps a 17" band saw.:)

Congratulations Jamie. Wish Jet was avaialble in Canada. I have the Delta 46-460 and recently added the stand and bed extension. Makes a sweet second lathe to my 2436. On all of these VS midi lathes, the weak link is the power controller which is pretty much always custom designed vs off the shelf for full size VS lathes. A few years back when pulling some strings at Delta to fix one of our guild lathes, Delta cautioned to use the lowest speed position for maximum torque when roughing bowl blanks and I think it is good advice for all makes. We are currently having problems with one of our General International 14" VS Maxi controllers. Saga goes on. GI is in rough shape these days too.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jamie You and I think alike. I can't remember the last time I bought something new. I have saved a ton of money over the years by just keeping my eye on the various sales sites. Took me 3 years to find my anvil. Same with my table saw. I just decide what I need to upgrade and keep my eye out there. If you patient enough and put money away so you can actually buy it when it comes along you can find the deals.

Jamie You and I think alike. I can't remember the last time I bought something new. I have saved a ton of money over the years by just keeping my eye on the various sales sites. Took me 3 years to find my anvil. Same with my table saw. I just decide what I need to upgrade and keep my eye out there. If you patient enough and put money away so you can actually buy it when it comes along you can find the deals.
:D:cool:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Like Mark Twain, word of Delta's demise might be premature. They may have been treated like a stepchild after Stanley Tools acquired Black & Decker/DeWalt and eventually they were spun off and kicked out of their Jackson, Tennessee facility that they shared with Porter Cable. They were acquired in 2011 by a Taiwan based group and relocated in Anderson, South Carolina. Just recently they have moved into their new facility with corporate headquarters and Engineering in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The Google-mobile has already driven by the new facility ... maybe even stopped to do some shopping. :D

Delta_a.jpg

They are once again using ServiceNet as their repair parts provider and they have also expanded their product line which can be viewed in their online Product Catalog. I know several club members who have the Delta midi lathe and they have been happy with it. I have turned on the Delta midi during several classes and felt like it was a really nice machine. I have no personal experience turning on the Jet midi, but a couple club members complained about the slow start up and low torque at slow speeds during a class with Joe Ruminski when it was first available several years ago. I am guessing that they probably addressed both of those issues. I have seen the Jet and actually touched it and it is a very nice looking machine. I may get my chance tomorrow to try out the Jet in the Alan Lacer class.

I wonder if my Delta backorder went there????????

I had a part ordered, was backordered, reordered, I finnaly lost track of order......Sold the lathe.....This was all several years ago......When you are newbie and have an inoperable lathe, as bad as trying to quit smoking.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I had a part ordered, was backordered, reordered, I finnaly lost track of order......Sold the lathe.....This was all several years ago......When you are newbie and have an inoperable lathe, as bad as trying to quit smoking.

:D :D :D

I've never smoked, but my first lathe fits the description. It was under warranty so the parts were free, but I was continually waiting on a slow boat from China :p. I felt like my new hobby was machine repair instead of turning wood.

Back