• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finally cleaning the shop

On vacation with family in Bahamas last week returning 1 am Sunday, April 9th. My cat sitter emailed the electricity went out 3-4 pm on Thursday , April 6, (snow storms and rain making lots of trees down). Said electric to be back on at 8 pm., then midnite, and then finally back on 28 hours later. The next morning she said my basement had 3" of water in. She had to take her 94 mother to the old homestead where there was heat. (52 in her house). So winged it remotely. We had lots of rain thru the week and I have a sump pump in the basement which of course failed.
I called my old insurance agent- had his number in my cell. He was so nice he grabbed a restoration friend of his and drove 20 miles to my house and called me back. Now 7-8" of water. Asking for permission to proceed. " Of course"
I had earlier called a neighbor to get 2 kitty litter boxes upstairs in my 3 seasons room. . Couldn't see them swimming to be fastidious and had visions of cat pee all over my upstairs living area.-(so far ok, except one poop in my tee shirt left on floor last nite)
They moved some more litter boxes up stairs.
They got generator to get sump going,and got dryish by the time I got home at 1 am , almost 2 days later., with 9 fans and 2 large dehumidifiers. . The machines make alot of racket and wind, and cats should be afraid to go in basement
Sunday afternoon 3 machines not working. As instructed I reset the circuit breakers and got them going. a couple of hours later some out again. Restorer came and did something. (there are extension cords all over the place, along with tubings to the sump pump.). Monday morning I looked down to see if real dry only to find 2" of water on floor again. It threw the sump circuit off. He came again and did something while I went out to cut up 2 pine trees that fell across the horse pasture hi tensile wire fence. People came today to move stuff from walls for further drying before they can spray for mold.
My basement was a mess before with wood all over, and dust, and household storage stuff.. Now it is sooooo bad with crap all over !!!!!!! I spent a couple of hours putting rectangle cut offs (drying in a pile on the floor-before flood) ) into plastic boxes I bought last night. I am going relegate some that aren't characters to kindling. I am replacing some of the cardboard boxes that are wet. My radio on the floor not working, 2 drill batteries that had been charged and charger soggy were in the water and probably won't function once they are dried, a box with 12-15 boxes of velcro (50 in box) sandpaper totally soaked, (I don't use that kind much anymore). I have metal inserts for salt/pepper shakers that was plain soggy. Guy said to put right in front of the dehumidifier.
My One way Lathe works-that part of the shop probably only got 3")!!!!!!
Sooooooooo, the good thing is I have to clean the shop, but unfortunately may have to wait 3-4 days before they can start the clean up after drying. By that time I may be working.
Guess I'll just eat worms. :eek::eek::eek: Gretch

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
On vacation with family in Bahamas last week returning 1 am Sunday, April 9th. My cat sitter emailed the electricity went out 3-4 pm on Thursday , April 6, (snow storms and rain making lots of trees down). Said electric to be back on at 8 pm., then midnite, and then finally back on 28 hours later. The next morning she said my basement had 3" of water in. She had to take her 94 mother to the old homestead where there was heat. (52 in her house). So winged it remotely. We had lots of rain thru the week and I have a sump pump in the basement which of course failed.
I called my old insurance agent- had his number in my cell. He was so nice he grabbed a restoration friend of his and drove 20 miles to my house and called me back. Now 7-8" of water. Asking for permission to proceed. " Of course"
I had earlier called a neighbor to get 2 kitty litter boxes upstairs in my 3 seasons room. . Couldn't see them swimming to be fastidious and had visions of cat pee all over my upstairs living area.-(so far ok, except one poop in my tee shirt left on floor last nite)
They moved some more litter boxes up stairs.
They got generator to get sump going,and got dryish by the time I got home at 1 am , almost 2 days later., with 9 fans and 2 large dehumidifiers. . The machines make alot of racket and wind, and cats should be afraid to go in basement
Sunday afternoon 3 machines not working. As instructed I reset the circuit breakers and got them going. a couple of hours later some out again. Restorer came and did something. (there are extension cords all over the place, along with tubings to the sump pump.). Monday morning I looked down to see if real dry only to find 2" of water on floor again. It threw the sump circuit off. He came again and did something while I went out to cut up 2 pine trees that fell across the horse pasture hi tensile wire fence. People came today to move stuff from walls for further drying before they can spray for mold.
My basement was a mess before with wood all over, and dust, and household storage stuff.. Now it is sooooo bad with crap all over !!!!!!! I spent a couple of hours putting rectangle cut offs (drying in a pile on the floor-before flood) ) into plastic boxes I bought last night. I am going relegate some that aren't characters to kindling. I am replacing some of the cardboard boxes that are wet. My radio on the floor not working, 2 drill batteries that had been charged and charger soggy were in the water and probably won't function once they are dried, a box with 12-15 boxes of velcro (50 in box) sandpaper totally soaked, (I don't use that kind much anymore). I have metal inserts for salt/pepper shakers that was plain soggy. Guy said to put right in front of the dehumidifier.
My One way Lathe works-that part of the shop probably only got 3")!!!!!!
Sooooooooo, the good thing is I have to clean the shop, but unfortunately may have to wait 3-4 days before they can start the clean up after drying. By that time I may be working.
Guess I'll just eat worms. :eek::eek::eek: Gretch

Wow.....sounds like a tough time, Gretch......hope you get everything back into shape pronto.

.....but, on a bright note.....did you bring any wood back from your vacation? :D

ko

.....but, on a bright note.....did you bring any wood back from your vacation?

Only one piece of driftwood. We all just had carryons. Most of the wood i saw was "wild" invasive austrian pine and mangroves. Not many trees around other than those.. I looked hard!!~!!! Brought the woman whose house we were in (I won it on a silent auction and the $ she donated to Veterinary surgery resident grants a wine extractor i made with African Beli wood. Gretch

My house was built in 1890, floors slope to the drain. I thought the guy who did it must have been drinking until the first flood in our area. Water runs right out.

My friend with a new house had the same issues as you. Sump pump failed because the power went out. We installed a second one that is powered by batteries, they stay charged by a trickle charger and if the power fails it will still kick on. Gives you a few hours to get your generators up and running. We also ran plumbing for water to the sump holes. He just turns on the faucets to test the pumps once a month.

This was all done after his first flood and power failure.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Snow? Glad that isn't something that happens very often here. We have hail and tornadoes instead. :D

My garden is going strong and the tomatoes are already setting fruit, but it will be late May before I will be harvesting anything. I decided not to plant potatoes this year. I'm hoping that the moles will either starve or move on.

on mole issue, neighborhood has several new members, all have cats, I now have no moles, the cats are chasing the squirrels now......Hope everything works out Gretch...We just had a frost yesterday, suppose to hit 84 today with thunderstorms

I have few pieces of different woods from the Bahamas can send a few around if you pay shipping
That would be neat Angelo. I would be happy to pay . What color is the wood. We were on green turtle island (3x1 mile) and just no real trees-
Can send me a private message I's guess is the way to proceed.
I asked the restorer guy yesterday If I can turn as I have withdrawal signs and was a cold gray day-would have to turn off the fans and one dehumidifier. He said yes.
Decided against, and organized the garage instead!!! After Monday I won't be able to turn for a few weeks-day time jobs!!!, Gretch

Gretch, when y ou get done, you can come and clean my shop. I'll drink a cup of joe while I watch. lol
Hope things go well after the flooding. Saw too much of it on our farms in central Ohio in the 50's.

Still drying out. Asked one of the people (they come 5 days a week to take readings and move fans) if I could "turn off" the shop fans and dehumidier for a few hours to "turn" as I was going thru withdrawl. He said yes. Today to be cloudy and not much outside work, so will probably turn some. Will have to close the bivalve doors so the other 6 fans don't blow shavings all over.
BTW Bill, Got my first mole last nite.. "The only good mole is a dead mole"

Back