• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pen bushings

Yesterday, I received a PSI catalogue and was intrigued by the number of different pen designs offered. I have built a couple of pens from Woodcraft and, so far, have three sets of bushings. My question is concerning the diameter/size of the pen bushings used to turn the blanks. There are some pens at PSI that are similar in shape and size to those at WC. I don't want to duplicate bushings if I can avoid it. I'm cheap, remember! How do you folks who turn a lot of pens approach this? Thanks.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The same pen styles often have different names at different stores based on my experience of buying pen kits at the local Woodcraft and Rockler stores. I have a bunch of bushings, but unfortunately I don't have them organized so I wind up sifting through them hoping that I will find what I need. This doesn't answer your question other than to say that you ought to organize them or you'll wind up in my situation.

Join the International Association of Penturners, IAP, http://www.penturners.org
There is a PDF file in their library that has a wonderful spreadsheet on all pen kits, bushings and drills. There are just a few kit manufacturers, but a LOT of resellers that apply different names to the same identical kits.

Richard, thanks for the information. Bill, I was organized once....I think. I'll have to ask SWMBO.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Join the International Association of Penturners, IAP, http://www.penturners.org
There is a PDF file in their library that has a wonderful spreadsheet on all pen kits, bushings and drills. There are just a few kit manufacturers, but a LOT of resellers that apply different names to the same identical kits.
I think there is some in the file section of the facebook groups too

Thanks, Steve. I signed up for www.penturners.org and have been approved for "membership" on that website. I'm impressed with the different styles, blank materials, etc. Looking forward to learning a lot from the folks there.

When I started turning pens, I bought several different kits and therefore several sets of bushings. That became pricey and a pain to keep them organized. Now, I simply measure the diameter of the pen fitting and turn the blank to that dimension. Not only does it save money on bushings, but it's more accurate because I found that, after turning a few dozen pens on a set of bushings, I had reduced the diameter of the bushings with a gouge or sandpaper, so they were longer equal to the diameter of the pen fittings.

Grant, good point. Might experiment with your method. I have a good set of dial calipers that would come in handy.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
A micrometer is a wise investment for a pen turner. As noted, the bushings are not always to be trusted for accurate outside diameters.

Back