• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

McNaughton Center Saver & Jet 1442

Hi,

I purchased a center saver (Standard model) quite some time ago and only now getting around to trying it out.

I have watched Dave Bonertzs' video and read the instructions and am trying to follow. The problem is that when I place the tool post in the banjo it hits the banjo tightening rod and this causes it to sit too high, so the tool is above center.

Does anyone else have this experience? Would I have to resort to cutting the post?

Thanks

Steve

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Long tool posts hit the locking rod on banjos with the hole centered in line with the the handle and locking rod.

You could get a banjo with an offset hole - if the post is over an inch too long it sticks out the bottom of the hole it will hit the ways which is only a problem if you need to be over the ways.

Cutting off the post is a solution that will work.

Also some manufactures offer short posts. Don't know if mcnaughton does.

The 1442 is a bit on the light side for coring. It may work quite well for occasional coring if you take your time.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Cutting a little off the tool post is the best solution. On the other hand, you can buy different length posts for about $20 extra.. I bought the longest post available for my lathe so I have the standard length post as a spare. The standard length post will work on my lathe, but doesn't go very far into the banjo. There are at least two different styles of posts depending on the gate design for your coring system so if you buy a different post make certain to get the right one.

You probably already know this, but the best height for the cutter is slightly above center when the tool is fully extended. If you let it go a bit too much below center, it will start self feeding the cutter into the kerf. That situation is hard to control and could wind up with the blade trapped in the kerf. If the cutter is too high, it will reach a point where it is no longer cutting.

I bought a 1" diameter locking collar and have it set to the desired height so that I won't have to go through the height adjustment each time that I use it.

Here is a link to a thread earlier this year on the McNaughton Center Saver.

Thanks all.

I think I found the problem. Stupidly, I was pushing the tool so that the handle was going under the tool holder. This was what was causing the tool to sit a bit high. Once I pulled it back so that only the blade was under the holder, it is ok.

Have not cored yet, but when I do I will update this post.

Steve

As Bill said,
You probably already know this, but the best height for the cutter is slightly above center when the tool is fully extended.
Setting the cutter slightly above center (on mine it's 3/4 inch high on 14 inch and up bowls) usually keeps people from selling their Mcnaughton center saver.
Somewhere I read about a "pulse method" for coring on an underpowered lathe. The idea was to advance the blade but stop the feed before the bowl blank lost too much momentum, let the blank come back up to speed and advance again. Advance...stop...advance...stop etc.
One thing I have found is if you are fighting it, or it is fighting you then something is not quite right. Check height of cutter, sharpen cutter, make sure banjo is solidly locked down (some banjos "creep"under stress) make sure bowl blank to lathe attachment is solid, whether chuck or faceplate. And...practice on easy wood...
cc

For under powered lathe I have polished out the blacke knives to a silver smooth finish and use a pump spray bottle to squirt WD-40 into the kerf as it starts to bind in the bottom third of the cut. Paraffin will also help to lube the kerf. Sharpening on a diamond hone or CBN wheel will help the cutting action.

Back