• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Does anyone use a dental light?

I came across a used dental light for sale and thought it might make a good turning light. The articulated arm could be helpful though the beam may be a bit too focused. It might be possible to modify though. Has anyone tried this? Example below but there are many versions and configurations.

1_1.jpg

Questions here.......where do you get the bulbs? What do they cost? Sometimes items like that take special bulbs that aren't available to the general public. Might be worth checking out. I use a flexible desk lamp that is slipped over a bolt fastened to a shelf on the wall. Goes back and forth between work bench and lathe. $29.95 plus tax.

Find out what bulb it uses, check on the availability and cost before buying. JMHO.

I have been using one for about three years, however I have modified it. The light bulbs were halogen that were hot and the focus was too tight. Bought a couple of LED lights from Home Depot and installed them. I get a fixture I can position just about anywhere and great bright lighting.
Home Depot " Commercial Electric LED T65" (126 878 warm white)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 61

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Doug, I can't give you much concrete support of them to say I have been researching it, and think that is an excellent option. I actually tried to talk my veterinarian out of one, and he said if he ever replaces one he'll do it. No doubt one of the benefits of these things is shadowless light.

You lucky dog.

Oh sorry, I forgot your avatar is a cat :D

Website
www.jjstephen.com
One option that gets you similar maneuverability but used normal bulbs is a loading dock light. Some are height adjustable and have very large swings, like this one (which uses LEDs):

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m.../dock-lights/led-docklight-60-inch-arm-length

They also usually come with wire guards, which is not a bad thing to have on a lathe light. It does require that your lathe be positioned somewhere within the vicinity of a wall, however.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I haven't tried a Dentist's light, so can't comment on their usefulness as applied to lathe operations.......but, I do have some other observations that might be applicable concerning discussions for lathe use.

It's my belief that light from at least two directions work best for identifying subtle flaws in the wood surface. Of course, this only applies during inspection of your workpiece with power off. At one time, I did try some halogen bulbs that were available for a standard incandescent socket. I thought that level of intensity was a bit too much, and not needed for identifying flaws. With the lathe on, the halogen seemed to be very distracting, particularly when there were dark and light portions of the workpiece. I have since gone back to having two adjustable arm incandescent lamps at the headstock, and a 4-foot fluorescent fixture just above the lathe.

Although I'm not feeling handicapped by my current lathe lighting......I must admit that I'd love to give the Dentist's light, or the dock light that Justin mentioned, a try.....that is, if I could give them a try without expense. :D

Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
Douglas -- I have been using a dental light for the past 7 years or so, with great satisfaction. Instantly adjustable to any angle! You might check with your own dentist before you "buy" the one mentioned. Many Dental offices have removed the older vintage incandescent models like mine in favor of the newer models and might still have the older ones in storage for possible give away, if asked -- maybe for free, in return for a turned bowl. I have an older vintage (60's & 70's) incandescent Dental light, but easily able to add a LED bulb to it. Your posted Dental lamp looks much newer than mine but if you can get it for under $100. I would certainly recommend going for it! Tried to attach a picture, but got an error message that picture was too large & no apparent way on how to reduce the size.(If interested, You can email me for pictures. Good Luck!
Lee Tourtelotte
leetourtelotte@msn.com)
www.minnesotawoodturners.com

In addition to checking with a dental office for an extra light, check around with the junior colleges or vocational schools. Many of them will have a dental assistant or dental hygiene program. They might have some extra lights that were replaced with up to date models.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Tried to attach a picture, but got an error message that picture was too large & no apparent way on how to reduce the size....

There are several free image editing applications available online that will enable you to resize and crop images before uploading them. The most widely used one is GIMP: https://www.gimp.org

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
I thought that level of intensity was a bit too much, and not needed for identifying flaws. With the lathe on, the halogen seemed to be very distracting, particularly when there were dark and light portions of the workpiece. I have since gone back to having two adjustable arm incandescent lamps at the headstock, and a 4-foot fluorescent fixture just above the lathe.

Although I'm not feeling handicapped by my current lathe lighting......I must admit that I'd love to give the Dentist's light, or the dock light that Justin mentioned, a try.....that is, if I could give them a try without expense.

My experience is that a narrow beam, high intensity light is great to ID flaws. I just bounce it off the side of the piece as I'm cutting and watch the top edge.
Or if I get a vessel really thin, then right through the sides, to judge the thickness.

A dentist light would be great for that and in terms of the big arm and adjustability - that would be the biggest attraction for me.
I have been looking for one for a while to try out. Generally, they are too pricy.

My biggest concern with halogen is the heat generated and the possibility of flying shaving getting on top and catching fire. I'm sure those lights are very well built, but not for this purpose. Maybe its possible to replace the halogen with an LED bulb?

I have 2 full time lights near the lathe and thinking of adding a third. One is on the ceiling, over my left shoulder. It has a photo quality CFL bulb, equivalent to 300w, on a very cheap mount for general light. The other is a cheap Ikea swing arm with a similar bulb but a reflector to focus the beam. Not nearly the quality of your dentist light though.

Both usually end up with long shaving hanging off them like some weird horror movie...

:)

Olaf

Olaf,
Here is a picture of the back of my modified dental light. The two LED lights are exposed at the back but the lights themselves are sealed units. Yes, curlies and dust do get on the back of the unit, I just use a blast of air to clean. As I stated earlier, the original Halogen light gave out a very focused beam which did not lend itself to looking at the turning. Additionally the original bulb got very hot, the LED's do not.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 30

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
And probably much appreciated! :)

But the heat must vent somewhere, likely out the back.
Assuming the light is angled down, that's likely where the dust / shaving end up.

The typical dental lamp uses a 100 watt halogen bulb and about 90 of those watts is heat. I don't know if they use active cooling, but that is a possibility. Also, you may have noticed the pearlescent color of the reflector. That is because the reflector is a dichroic mirror. Dichroic basically means that it reflects some light wavelengths and others pass through. In the case of this reflector, visible light is reflected while infrared light passes though the mirror and out the back of the lamp. Perhaps that is how most of the heat is eliminated ... simply radiated out the back.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
I have the dock light like the one linked to above, I don't think I gave that much for it but has been several years and I have CRS. I got the light from Northern Tool and it does a good job, I can turn it to work on the back of a bowl and then swing it to do the inside. It isn't the only light I have on the lathe but it sure is the one I use the most.

I use a dental light and it has been great. Bulbs are about $12.95, but the last time I bought them I got two. It's been about 4 years now, and I haven't had to replace the first one. Good advice to check on the bulb before buying the light, but there are numerous dental equipment suppliers available.

Here's the dental lights I use, the're portable and work great. Uses a $4.00 bulb and thats lasted almost 2 years to date.

IMG_0994.JPG

Dwight,

Can you squeeze me in to your schedule for a cleaning and fluoride treatment? :D
The cast metal housing is a heat sink for the LED modules, you want to keep them clean to help keep the LED's cool.
Heat is the biggest problem for the LED's and the power supplies.
The ambient temperature in your shop should still provide for many years of life.

Back