• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What kind of wood is this?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
icm_fullxfull.94845516_kq6ik7havnk4kgkk884g.jpg icm_fullxfull.94845534_o4kdm2apduokwkgwkkcs.jpg icm_fullxfull.98895347_8q9e31h3gzk0gosw8kk0.jpg

These photos were forwarded to me, asking me to identify the wood. My thought is it's ash with a stain that darkens it a bit. This may be a vintage piece that has darkened some with age and use. What do you think?

odie

TOTW Team
Well, with 41 views so far.....I'm surprised nobody has thoughts as to the identity of this wood. Does this mean there is agreement that the wood is ash.....? I'm not sure that it is ash......but, that's my best guess.....:D

The feather looking interlock of the grain does not look like ash to me.

Tough to tell from the photos though.

odie

TOTW Team
Here's my response to the person who is asking.......

"Hello XXXXX.......My best guess with the pictures posted, is it's ash, but not sure about that. I've posted these photos on a woodturners forum, and I'm not getting much response there. There is one other guess that it's elm. Someone else disagrees that it's ash, but gave no guess himself.

I'll follow up here, if anyone can identify it positively......

Is this a vintage item with years of use? That's what confuses the issue a bit, because it's a little too dark to be ash, but if it's had a lot of use, that could explain it.

These questions come up frequently between woodworkers, and to tell you the truth......there always seems to be disagreement about identity of woods, when all you've got to go by is photos......."

My first thought was Bubinga, due to the kind of purple tint to it, but that piece is rather open grained along the rings. Some of it looks like Elm, but not the proper color. I wouldn't guess ash though, just doesn't look right. I had an ash bowl for about 10 years that was snow white when new, and when it cracked, it was a lovely amber color.

robo hippy

98 now.......looks like the Whopperieto

odie

TOTW Team
826-4 Siberian Elm.JPG 826-3 Siberian Elm.JPG
Elm - but it would also help to know where the person asking is located. Location isn’t a determining factor but may assist with getting a feel for “where in the world” it might originate.

My first guess would be elm. I can't rule out Hickory

Elm.......Yes, I'd have to agree. Here's an elm bowl I made a couple years ago, and it seems to match pretty well.

Thank you for all the posts.

Back