• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520 HELP!!!!

pete marken

Artist
I purchased a 3520 last November and ever since I have had problems with noises from the head stock. First one was a ticking noise. I fixed that by moving and tightening the spindle lock on the spindle shaft. Had to do the same with the pulleys. After using the tail stock I started getting a knocking sound after the lathe was run for 15 minutes or so. I called customer service about it and they kept telling me to tighten belt pulleys. Told them I had already done that. Finally convinced the guy that it sounded like the rear spindle bearing. He said I may need to loosen up the lock not some. I bent tab back on the locking washer and found the lock nut not even finger tight so I tightened two notches on the star washer and it helped some. I called PM back and told them what I found and asked for a torque spec on the nut. All he could tell me is to snug it up and back off 1/4 turn. What does snug it up mean? By hand or with a spanner wrench, they did not say. I am very disappointed with this situation thinking that Powermatic would be a good lathe. I am beginning to think I threw away $$$$. My opinion is that you should not have to fool with any of this on a new lathe. I have been using my Stubby for almost 15 years and never had an issue and am still using it.
Have any of you had similar problems? Have any of you requested their money back? Does anyone know how tight the rear bearing should be?

No first hand knowledge of that machine. It's not uncommon, based on bearing design, to have an accommodation for thermal expansion. Some bearing sets use a predetermined preload, these evidently don't. I don't consider this a money back kind of deal, don't you have years of warranty left if the bearings get louder? You might investigate the exact bearing numbers and do a search for proper preload or clearances with a bearing company or industrial bearing supplier. I thought about it a little more; It's likely the front bearing set handles all the thrust. The back bearings are just there to support the shaft and don't need to be snug. In fact, it may increase wear and will have premature failure if tightened up. I can't imagine a condition where a bearing would have a tick noise. At any rpm, the seals and bearings are moving too fast to make a tick noise. Do the belt pulleys have double set screws in each hole? Take it completely out and see if there is a second set screw under it. Kinda like a double nut for locking.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know if this will help or is the problems. If a bearing is not installed perfectly in alignment they can click. I would snug up the nut against the bearing quite snug to possibly push it back into alignment. the back off a little. It shouldn't hurt anything and may solve your problem.

You did not specify, but I presume that in the tailstock you are referring to the live center. When I got my jet 1442 the point on the live center would not remove so when I talked to them after banging on it a while he sent me an extra they had in the shop. The brass bearing cove on this live center does losen and must be tightened periodically. Oh forgot to say the PM and Jet have the same live center so I use this in both PM3520 and Jet.
I have noticed a click occasionally around the head stock. Turns out the SN@ keyed centers rattle in the housing of the chuck I was using.

Pete,
I feel your pain. First off, the Powermatic IS a good lathe, the company has a track record of good customer service, and a new machine should not give you all these headaches. With that in mind, you should have gotten a better resolution by now. I'd contact customer service again and tell them exactly what you've told us, and remind them they have a reputation to uphold, so how are they going to solve your problem.

Secondly, I vaguely recall a thread from about 5 years ago discussing something along this line and my best recollection is that it was like, "there are 2 set screws on something in there and everybody misses the second one." Bill Boehme is usually a good rememberer of such things. There may also have been an issue with something on the inside of the headstock being lose, like a screw from the spindle lock. If you can't find anything by searching on our board, you could see if the Mustard Monster site is functioning (http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/) and maybe has a thread archived.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
the normal problem is the spindle lock being out of position. I think he said he checked that. Most Powermatic's I've seen that had a clicking noise that was the solution. loosen, reposition the spindle lock and then lock it down.

A few years back I had a ticking sound which went away after tightening the internal speed sensing apparatus. Emphasis that you MUST unplug the lathe doing this. If you inadvertently turn it on, you'll lose fingers. I can't remember exactly, but I think there is a magnetic piece on the spindle which spins, and as it rotates, it passes the sensor mounted on the inside of the headstock on the internal side of the switch panel where the rpm readout is displayed. I haven't been active this last year, but I turn a lot of heavy out of balance natural edge bowls, and have my lathe bolted down. It shakes when I turn it up. Consequently, I think, it got loose. It probably wasn't ever tightened up properly. I went through the bearing tightening thing first, and found this when the click didn't go away.

pete marken

Artist
Since I started this thread the spindle bearings went bad on my wife's Jet 1221VS. Her lathe is less than a year old as well as my 3520. She called tech support and they told her the knob on the back of the spindle was probably too tight. It was loosened about 1/4 turn as recommended but it made no difference. Definitely bearings squealing. Soooo I went to the JPW website and sent them an e-mail saying that I purchased these lathes because of the quality and support. I also went on to say I was very unhappy with their lathes and would have to seriously consider whether or not I would purchase any more of their equipment. This was about 2 weeks ago and never got a reply. I believe I will most likely dump my 3520 and spring for an American beauty later this year. Not a happy camper. I will not be attending the symposium this year due to buying the 2 lathes and a MiniMax bandsaw. But I will go to the vendor area and discuss this with the Powermatic rep.

If you want to dump it cheap, let me know. You should be happy you didn't order a Grizzly. Tinkering with them out of the box is standard procedure!

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Pete As someone else said I would complain more loudly. Powermatic has a pretty good reputation of customer service. Perhaps they are falling down on this one but I can't help but believe they would follow up on the problem if you work you way up the chain politely explaining the problem to each rep. If not possibly talking to Powermatic at the symposium might help. Be aware that you can get into the vendor area free if you show your AAW membership card. If you aren't a member it will cost $10.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Pete, I know you have a bad taste in your mouth. But.....
I agree with John. Your experience with Jet/Powermatic does not track with others I know of who have contacted the company.

The general method employed by most companies is to try the common, simple, and least costly fixes first.
If you have a complex problem you often have to contact them again to tell them what you have tried.

If possible keep them on the phone or on speed dial while you try their suggestions.
Try to work with the same technician so you both have the same reference points.
If possible, Have them listen to the lathe over the phone.

The Powermatic is fine lathe and will give you years of good reliable service.
A Powermatic isn't the quality of a Stubby, ONEWAY, Robust, or Vicmark but then they cost $3000-4000 more than the Powermatic on sale.

Last edited:
PM 3520B and Jet 1221VS "NOISES".

I have a PM3520B and a Jet 1015, and have never had any problems with them from new.
My brother has a new Jet 1221 VS and had bearing noise from the first day.
I advised him to call tech support and after walking him through troubleshooting, they sent him a new lathe which works very well.
He then tried to return the malfunctioning Jet 1221 VS to them, and they told him to keep it.
Interesting Tech Support.
Gil Jones

I am always surprised that one person has a great experience with a company (or many do) and another person cannot get what they want. I do not know, I have had my Powermatic for 11 years without a problem (knock on wood).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you want the best results, always pick up the phone and speak to a live person. You can cover a lot of ground very fast over the phone whereas trying to do the same thing by email will have about a one day turnaround for each statement and response. On top of that, the person on the other end might not be the same as it was the day before. Typing is slow so responses can sometimes be too brief and cryptic to be helpful.

Despite your feeling of dissatisfaction, just stick to the technical details. Things will go much more smoothly. Sometimes mechanical things break and it isn't some persons fault and isn't justification to condemn all machines made by Jet or Powermatic.

OTOH, if you are just wanting to justify buying a Robust or Oneway, or Vicmarc then disregard the above comments.

Last edited:
Website
www.billbulloch.com
Pete, I bought a PM3520B last year. Out of the box it would not run. Called Customer Service and they sent a (local) technician out to fix it. It was a bad Pot Assembly. If I were in your position I would ask them to send a technician out or send you instructions on how to return it.

Back