• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is avoiding the pith important when spindle turning?

Hi Guys,
I got a Stihl MS 250 for Christmas from my wife (God luv her!) and I came across some free olive this past weekend, so I got my first experience with a chainsaw. It just so happens that my wife wants me to turn some candlesticks for a wedding gift so the olive arrived just in time! I successfully cut a 14" section of one of the logs, it's about 9 1/2" in diameter. If do this right I should be able to get 4 candlesticks out of this log. The pith is not centered at all. I know I cant include the pith when bowl turning but do I have to worry about it for spindle turning? The only part of the candlestick it could possibly included in would be the base. What say you?
Thanks in advance,
Mark Andrews

You're going to dry the blanks right? That will determine the outcome, because the wood will very likely be cracked through the pith. Some folks would saw the section into quarters, others may split them out. But it will need to be broken down to dry.

You're going to dry the blanks right? That will determine the outcome, because the wood will very likely be cracked through the pith. Some folks would saw the section into quarters, others may split them out. But it will need to be broken down to dry.
Thank you for the reply Richard..yes I'm going to dry the blanks. I was going to quarter the log and then round them from there. I'm trying to get as large a base as possible from these pieces, my wife want's a 3 1/2 to 4" base.
Mark

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Make sure that there is no pith in the wood. Olive wood dries very slowly because of its density. Don't rush the drying or the drying defects will be increased. It would be a very good idea to Anchorseal the blanks and let them dry for a few years. The size of blanks that you want will probably take longer than you want to wait if you are starting with wet green wood. Forcing it to dry faster could cause honeycombing. Also, as a normal part of drying, olive wood tends to warp and develop end checks. Tangential to radial shrinkage is about 1.6 which is a bit better than average. The best way to follow how well it is drying is to weigh the blanks periodically on an accurate scale that can weight in grams. Eventually, the weight loss will flatline when the wood has reached EMC.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Make sure that there is no pith in the wood. Olive wood dries very slowly because of its density. Don't rush the drying or the drying defects will be increased. It would be a very good idea to Anchorseal the blanks and let them dry for a few years. The size of blanks that you want will probably take longer than you want to wait if you are starting with wet green wood. Forcing it to dry faster could cause honeycombing. Also, as a normal part of drying, olive wood tends to warp and develop end checks. Tangential to radial shrinkage is about 1.6 which is a bit better than average. The best way to follow how well it is drying is to weigh the blanks periodically on an accurate scale that can weight in grams. Eventually, the weight loss will flatline when the wood has reached EMC.

I agree with Bill, plus one comment. If the pith is off-center then you will probably have increased warping due to internal stresses; the more off-center the more warping. An off-center pith usually indicates a section of tree growing at an angle rather than straight up - think hillside for the main trunk or you have a branch section.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I got a Stihl MS 250 for Christmas from my wife (God luv her!) and I came across some free olive this past weekend, so I got my first experience with a chainsaw. It just so happens that my wife wants me to turn some candlesticks for a wedding gift so the olive arrived just in time! I successfully cut a 14" section of one of the logs, it's about 9 1/2" in diameter. If do this right I should be able to get 4 candlesticks out of this log. The pith is not centered at all. I know I cant include the pith when bowl turning but do I have to worry about it for spindle turning? The only part of the candlestick it could possibly included in would be the base. What say you?
Thanks in advance,
Mark Andrews

All the above is probably not good news, eh Mark? Congrats on the chainsaw though. I like to turn both bowls and spindle-stuff, so when I cut a log that's big enough, I slab the pith out at about 2" thick. Then cut the pith out of the center of the slab, yielding plenty of spindle stock (for smaller stuff than your candlesticks). I coat the end grain and about 1" up the sides from the ends and leave it on a shelf to dry.

There's a turning-wood seller in the Seattle area who usually has Olive in stock. If you want, I can send you his email in case he has some big enough for what you want to make. He always provides dates when the wood was cut and waxed.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
there are a few woods that will dry with the pith in it. Really thin spindle can get buy with more woods. I have included the pith goblets out of some woods but the walls are much less than 1/8" thick. I frequently see new turners turning vases and thick candle holders out of green wood without the pith. they crack badly. You have to let it dry for thicker candlesticks (my friend always called them candleholders because he said a lot of them aren't thin sticks). It will take at least a year to dry in that size. I dry a lot of spindle turning stock mostly in the 2 to 4" range and let it sit a year before turning. the 4" ones may not be dry by then and might warp a little but usually they don't crack. It's hard to say because most of my larger stock has been drying for a long time, probably more than a year.

All the above is probably not good news, eh Mark? Congrats on the chainsaw though. I like to turn both bowls and spindle-stuff, so when I cut a log that's big enough, I slab the pith out at about 2" thick. Then cut the pith out of the center of the slab, yielding plenty of spindle stock (for smaller stuff than your candlesticks). I coat the end grain and about 1" up the sides from the ends and leave it on a shelf to dry.

There's a turning-wood seller in the Seattle area who usually has Olive in stock. If you want, I can send you his email in case he has some big enough for what you want to make. He always provides dates when the wood was cut and waxed.

Thanks Jamie, I would appreciate his email address. I just put a moisture meter on the cut I i did yesterday, it's at 26 while the dry end is at 16 so obviously this wood has been cut for a while.

there are a few woods that will dry with the pith in it. Really thin spindle can get buy with more woods. I have included the pith goblets out of some woods but the walls are much less than 1/8" thick. I frequently see new turners turning vases and thick candle holders out of green wood without the pith. they crack badly. You have to let it dry for thicker candlesticks (my friend always called them candleholders because he said a lot of them aren't thin sticks). It will take at least a year to dry in that size. I dry a lot of spindle turning stock mostly in the 2 to 4" range and let it sit a year before turning. the 4" ones may not be dry by then and might warp a little but usually they don't crack. It's hard to say because most of my larger stock has been drying for a long time, probably more than a year.
Thanks John, if I need to let them sit for a year, then that is what I will do. I know this is a slightly loaded question, but what moisture content range are you looking for before you are satisfied that the spindle stock is ready for turning?
Mark

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've never had a decent moisture meter to really know. I have one and here in Tennessee around 11% is what I get in my shop. In the house during winter things get down to 9%. I do a lot of boxes and want the lids to be at least a decent fit so I'm more concerned about weight. If It sits in my shop for a few days and doesn't change weight then It's dry enough to turn.

Thanks John, if I need to let them sit for a year, then that is what I will do. I know this is a slightly loaded question, but what moisture content range are you looking for before you are satisfied that the spindle stock is ready for turning?
Mark

Butting in here -- my shop-stored wood moisture level this time of year is around 12%. Seems to be OK for small spindle stuff if I get it turned and finished right away. Not so good for bowls though. Haven't been doing them enough to know the details of what to expect, but I think I need to go straight from the outside finish-cuts to hollowing the inside right away. [Steve's email addy on its way via PM]

Hi Guys,
I got a Stihl MS 250 for Christmas... my wife wants me to turn some candlesticks for a wedding gift

Excellent choice, that's my favorite saw, light weight and easy to handle for hours at a time! I keep two of those with 18" bars and I use them for almost all of my chainsawing around the farm, only going for a bigger saw when needed. (But the one I use mostly for preparing blanks for turning is a Stihl electric since I can use it inside the shop with instant on and off and no gasoline required!) Most of my turning is spindles, boxes, etc. and I almost always turn with dry wood. While some people are happy with warped bowls and things turned green, my preference is for round unwarped things!

For me, removing the pith for spindle turning is important most of the time. I don't removed a slab from the middle like people often do for green bowl turning, but just slice the log section along the pith then section further so the pith is removed or at least confined to a corner edge of a blank. Some local species (here in East TN) such as Eastern Red Cedar can be stable even with the pith. Some, like Flowering Dogwood (one of my favorite woods for turning) is so unstable even leaving the darker heartwood in a blank can cause a lot of warping and splitting. We have Sassafras which is very stable, walnut which is not bad, and various fruit woods like cherry and pear which can move a lot when it dries.

Around here, about 11% is as dry as it is going to get outside. Most of my spindle stock is in the air conditioned/heated shop so it often hits 10 or 9%, but 11% is plenty dry to keep things stable.

To have a constant supply of dry wood I try to cut up a little wood every few months and let it air dry. I typically slice up a log section into a variety of turning blanks, coat the ends, and stack them on wire shelves to dry. The drying time depends on the wood and the size. Most of the wood I'm turning now has been drying for years, some for over 10 years, a lot for 7-10 years. I often use the chain saw for rough sectioning then switch to the bandsaw. For log sections less than 12" in diameter or 12" long (the maximum cut on my bandsaw) I usually process the entire chunk with the bandsaw.

I cut the wood into a variety of sizes of turning squares, anchor seal the ends, then set it aside to dry. After drying for a while they often warp out of square. While this in itself doesn't affect the turning, I almost always take the dry blanks back to the bandsaw and square them up. I do this for two reasons - one is to inspect the freshly cut sides for cracks that may have developed in drying. If I find cracks I may section further to remove them, or simply mark them with a red sharpie so I won't be surprised and disappointed later when turning. I also remove any obvious end checks/cracks, then cut thin slices off both ends and bend the slices to check for hidden cracks/checks. I keep cutting until I hit solid wood or in some cases, leave the cracks and mark them with a red sharpie as before. Resawing the blanks square also lets me see what kind of figure and color is in the wood, far easier to see in cleanly cut sides.

One important thing - I write the date on each piece! This makes it easy to keep up with and keeps me from accidentally grabbing a piece of wet wood.

This probably doesn't help with your immediate need for wedding presents. You didn't mention the size you intended - if thin enough you can easily turn the spindles green to the approximate size, let them dry, then finish turn them. They will dry a lot quicker if turned fairly thin. You can also dry blanks or rough turned spindles in a microwave oven. This takes some care but can work very well. Basically you weigh the wood, microwave for a short time then weigh again, repeat. When the weight quits changing, or at least quits changing rapidly, the wood is dry. You have to be patient and careful not to let the wood get too hot or you will have a disaster. You can google "microwave drying wood" or somesuch for a lot of information.

BTW, another possibility for avoiding the pith from a smallish log is to turn the piece in several sections. This might work well for a candlestick, perhaps even with contrasting woods.

Also, as someone mentioned, if the pith is not centered the wood is likely from a limb or leaning tree. The "reaction wood" that the tree grows to deal with gravity can be horribly unstable in some species, warping far more than wood from a vertical log. In this case, I would especially want to let it dry and warp all it will, the turn it dry. It may still have stresses which can cause problems for making lids fit nicely on boxes, but should be OK for most turning.

The entire hobby of processing your own turning wood is easier with a good moisture meter! I got a good pinless meter many years ago and use it constantly, especially when someone gives me wood we trade wood.

BTW, some people, like me, do a lot of wood trading. A USPS flat rate box is perfect for heavy squares of wood, dry or green! If you need a couple of pieces of dry wood right away someone (like me) may be willing to trade. Is your wood Russian Olive (coarse grain, ring porous, fluoresces green) or Olivewood (diffuse porous, creamy with darker streaks, wonderful to turn)?

Hey, I see you are a retired computer geek. Seems like there are a lot of us who also spin wood!

JKJ

Excellent choice, that's my favorite saw, light weight and easy to handle for hours at a time! I keep two of those with 18" bars and I use them for almost all of my chainsawing around the farm, only going for a bigger saw when needed. (But the one I use mostly for preparing blanks for turning is a Stihl electric since I can use it inside the shop with instant on and off and no gasoline required!) Most of my turning is spindles, boxes, etc. and I almost always turn with dry wood. While some people are happy with warped bowls and things turned green, my preference is for round unwarped things!

For me, removing the pith for spindle turning is important most of the time. I don't removed a slab from the middle like people often do for green bowl turning, but just slice the log section along the pith then section further so the pith is removed or at least confined to a corner edge of a blank. Some local species (here in East TN) such as Eastern Red Cedar can be stable even with the pith. Some, like Flowering Dogwood (one of my favorite woods for turning) is so unstable even leaving the darker heartwood in a blank can cause a lot of warping and splitting. We have Sassafras which is very stable, walnut which is not bad, and various fruit woods like cherry and pear which can move a lot when it dries.

Around here, about 11% is as dry as it is going to get outside. Most of my spindle stock is in the air conditioned/heated shop so it often hits 10 or 9%, but 11% is plenty dry to keep things stable.

To have a constant supply of dry wood I try to cut up a little wood every few months and let it air dry. I typically slice up a log section into a variety of turning blanks, coat the ends, and stack them on wire shelves to dry. The drying time depends on the wood and the size. Most of the wood I'm turning now has been drying for years, some for over 10 years, a lot for 7-10 years. I often use the chain saw for rough sectioning then switch to the bandsaw. For log sections less than 12" in diameter or 12" long (the maximum cut on my bandsaw) I usually process the entire chunk with the bandsaw.

I cut the wood into a variety of sizes of turning squares, anchor seal the ends, then set it aside to dry. After drying for a while they often warp out of square. While this in itself doesn't affect the turning, I almost always take the dry blanks back to the bandsaw and square them up. I do this for two reasons - one is to inspect the freshly cut sides for cracks that may have developed in drying. If I find cracks I may section further to remove them, or simply mark them with a red sharpie so I won't be surprised and disappointed later when turning. I also remove any obvious end checks/cracks, then cut thin slices off both ends and bend the slices to check for hidden cracks/checks. I keep cutting until I hit solid wood or in some cases, leave the cracks and mark them with a red sharpie as before. Resawing the blanks square also lets me see what kind of figure and color is in the wood, far easier to see in cleanly cut sides.

One important thing - I write the date on each piece! This makes it easy to keep up with and keeps me from accidentally grabbing a piece of wet wood.

This probably doesn't help with your immediate need for wedding presents. You didn't mention the size you intended - if thin enough you can easily turn the spindles green to the approximate size, let them dry, then finish turn them. They will dry a lot quicker if turned fairly thin. You can also dry blanks or rough turned spindles in a microwave oven. This takes some care but can work very well. Basically you weigh the wood, microwave for a short time then weigh again, repeat. When the weight quits changing, or at least quits changing rapidly, the wood is dry. You have to be patient and careful not to let the wood get too hot or you will have a disaster. You can google "microwave drying wood" or somesuch for a lot of information.

BTW, another possibility for avoiding the pith from a smallish log is to turn the piece in several sections. This might work well for a candlestick, perhaps even with contrasting woods.

Also, as someone mentioned, if the pith is not centered the wood is likely from a limb or leaning tree. The "reaction wood" that the tree grows to deal with gravity can be horribly unstable in some species, warping far more than wood from a vertical log. In this case, I would especially want to let it dry and warp all it will, the turn it dry. It may still have stresses which can cause problems for making lids fit nicely on boxes, but should be OK for most turning.

The entire hobby of processing your own turning wood is easier with a good moisture meter! I got a good pinless meter many years ago and use it constantly, especially when someone gives me wood we trade wood.

BTW, some people, like me, do a lot of wood trading. A USPS flat rate box is perfect for heavy squares of wood, dry or green! If you need a couple of pieces of dry wood right away someone (like me) may be willing to trade. Is your wood Russian Olive (coarse grain, ring porous, fluoresces green) or Olivewood (diffuse porous, creamy with darker streaks, wonderful to turn)?

Hey, I see you are a retired computer geek. Seems like there are a lot of us who also spin wood!

JKJ
Hi John,
Thanks for all of the information, it's REALLY helpful. I've been turning for a little over a year and during that time, I've collected some really nice chunks of wood, but have been frankly afraid of attempting to cut them up because I've never used a chainsaw. I posted a "what chainsaw should I buy" question to the Newbie forum and got so many replies that included graphic descriptions of limbs lost and folks dying that I was truly petrified to attempt using one. Fortunately I found a mentor who showed me how to be safe, bought all the right safety gear and I found plans for an awesome chainsaw sawhorse http://lumberjocks.com/Innovator/blog/10551 . So far I've had really good luck cutting the logs. Now that I'm over that hump, I am going to do what you and others have suggested. I will spend the next few days (more like weeks :D) cutting and prepping blanks for future use.

I've tried the microwave drying technique and it does work but as you mentioned the results can be disastrous if you aren't careful. One technique that I was taught when I took my turning class at Cerritos College was to rough cut the blank on the band saw and then wrap it in a plastic shopping bag, put it in the freezer for 24 hours and then in the refrigerator for 7 days. This actually works really well. The theory is that the 24 hours in the freezer causes the water at the micro cellular level to freeze which rupture the micro cells in the wood basically releasing it. The refrigerator is an extremely dry environment and the moisture evaporates quickly.

This idea of wood trading is a great idea. The olive I have is Olivewood, beige in color very creamy and has dark brown rings. When it's turned and finished it looks a lot like marble. I love it, it turns very easily but it is prone to hairline cracking which can actually lead to some attractive results. The candlesticks I'm making are for a young couple in Australia. I wanted to make them out of something that was unique. The olive seemed like a great choice due to all the beautiful grain patterns that you get when you turn a finial type of spindle. If you have something that you think would work, especially something that they don't have in Australia I'd be glad to trade.

Yes, I'm a former computer geek. I actually still run a couple of websites for organizations that I belong to. I was retired (which is a nice way of saying they paid me to leave) after 32 years in IT for McDonnell Douglas and Boeing. I did everything from Cobol programming to UNIX system administration. I liked my job, but I'm LOVING my retirement and learning all about turning. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

[Snip] ...and I found plans for an awesome chainsaw sawhorse http://lumberjocks.com/Innovator/blog/10551 . So far I've had really good luck cutting the logs. Now that I'm over that hump, I am going to do what you and others have suggested. I will spend the next few days (more like weeks :D) cutting and prepping blanks for future use.

[Snip]

That "sawhorse" looks very useful, easy to make and quite storeable. The one thing that was odd to me: The last two pictures involve cutting the log in half longitudinally. But it appears he accomplished this by standing the log on end and cutting straight down through the end grain. Not the best approach! Hard on the saw, the chain and frustrating to the operator. Easier to lay the log down and cut down through the center in that orientation, as seen at the 15-minute mark of RoboHippy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3s6aN9REIY Might be a problem with that particular sawhorse design, depending on how much clearance there is between the bottom of the "V's" and the bottom of the log. [Perhaps your chain saw mentor already explained this, if so pardon the duplication]

This forum gets so little use, but shouldn't a question like this be in the "newbie section"? Asking questions about the use of the pith in the work, and talking about never using a chain saw would imply someone just starting out. Sorry if you are experienced.

This forum gets so little use, but shouldn't a question like this be in the "newbie section"? Asking questions about the use of the pith in the work, and talking about never using a chain saw would imply someone just starting out. Sorry if you are experienced.

It's a thought, but I assume there are moderators or admins that make those decisions when need be. As long as a thread isn't political, doesn't matter to me where it shows up.:D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Read this sticky in the Newbie forum. The thought was that a beginner might feel intimidated asking a newbie question in the Main Forum. My personal opinion is that it probably seemed like a good idea, but personally I think that it also has the potential to send the wrong message to beginners. Nobody asked me, but if I had my druthers, I would combine this forum with the newbie forum. I participate in a number of other woodworking/woodturning forums and none of the others have a newbie forum. I belong to Cloudy Nights, an astronomy forum, and it does have a newbie forum. The difference is that Cloudy Nights is huge and we aren't. Astronomy also has a very wide range of interests and they have a large number of sub forums that focus on each area of interest.

To directly answer your question: I don't believe that I have ever seen any thread moved to the Newbie forum and I certainly won't be doing it.

As far as participation is concerned, I know of a couple forums that are more active and a bunch that are less active than this one. Overall, participation in onlline forums has been declining for a number of years. I have seen a very large decline in all of the woodworking and photography forums that I participate in. Social media such as Facebook is probably one reason for the decline. I like this forum for the exceptional quality of help that I see. I don't see this quality of help on many forums.

Last edited:
That "sawhorse" looks very useful, easy to make and quite storeable. The one thing that was odd to me: The last two pictures involve cutting the log in half longitudinally. But it appears he accomplished this by standing the log on end and cutting straight down through the end grain. Not the best approach! Hard on the saw, the chain and frustrating to the operator. Easier to lay the log down and cut down through the center in that orientation, as seen at the 15-minute mark of RoboHippy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3s6aN9REIY Might be a problem with that particular sawhorse design, depending on how much clearance there is between the bottom of the "V's" and the bottom of the log. [Perhaps your chain saw mentor already explained this, if so pardon the duplication]

Jamie. A chain saw will cut much better the way he did it. It does help to cut them laying down if you have a more chisel like shape to the saw chain. The problem is partly the long strings of fibre you get. Next time you are splitting a log notice how much faster you move when you move the saw to a more vertical position ( drop the saw down ) on the end.
Ron.

. " The problem is partly the long strings of fibre you get."

One problem with the long "strings" cutting longitudinal; and parallel with the barked edge is that the saw can get bogged under and stop, necessitating tasking the bar off and cleaning the tip of the bar. (PITA) Does that with my Stihl saws. Angulating at a 45 degree angle to the bark allows the chips to clear. Gretch

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I do my ripping with the long grain. Saws can clog.
I have never had to do anything other than pull on the strings sticking out to clear my Stihls.

Some saws tend to clog more that others. This cut is so easy on the saw that it wants to cut faster than it can clear the long strings.

I do two things to reduce the clogs.
I slow the cut to a rhythm that works and pull the saw back from the wood a little bit every once in a while to let the saw clear itself.
I do get an occasional clog where I stop cutting and pull the strings out. Most of the time the saw will clear itself.
I also make sure the strings have a place to go. If I'm working on a log section close the ground a mountain is strings can build up an block the outflow.

I have Stihl 440 and 261, they both rip well. Some people I know have trimmed away end of the chip guide that is inside the cover that bolts over the sprocket.
This pretty much eliminates the clogs. I have never bothered to do this.

A long long long time ago I had a 16" homelite and it clogged really badly.

Last edited:
Read
As far as participation is concerned, I know of a couple forums that are more active and a bunch that are less active than this one. Overall, participation in onlline forums has been declining for a number of years. I have seen a very large decline in all of the woodworking and photography forums that I participate in. Social media such as Facebook is probably one reason for the decline. I like this forum for the exceptional quality of help that I see. I don't see this quality of help on many forums.

I've noticed the same thing in online forums for the last several years. Not only has the level of participation declined, but I believe that what is replacing it is much more shallow.

I believe woodturning is one subject that is emblematic of the trend. Lots of people getting lathes and then poking wood that is spinning around with metal (or carbide tipped) objects, then sending 140 characters or fewer to their 1000 best friends exclaiming, "I'm a woodturner". Not only do many people tend to not know even the basics, but there's kind of an attitude of being un-cool to offer even the most constructive criticism. That is somehow equated with "trolling". Even if you point out a serious safety issue, you get branded as "safety police".

--
As for the OP, I learned this lesson by including the pith in some mallets that I turned from branches. They looked great when I made them, but the cracks are basically inevitable. Pretty low cost lesson, and no shame since I was just banging them around in the shop.

As far as having long strings clogging the chain saw, I clip off a bit of the back of the clutch cover, near the chip exit, to increase the opening for the curls to come out. I still can't see the chain, but it really improves the chip ejection. When it really gets to be an issue is when I let my Husky 3520 with a 36" bar, start eating some silver maple. Then you get strings!!!!!!

For the newbie question, it's my opinion that a post would get more help as everyone has an idea that the person making the post is just starting out. Any and all questions need the help of very basic information to assist, including suggestions on alternative methods that work better.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Bill,
Having an active and knowledgeable moderator is a big bonus.
thank you!

Also thanks to Steve too!

Jamie. A chain saw will cut much better the way he did it. It does help to cut them laying down if you have a more chisel like shape to the saw chain. The problem is partly the long strings of fibre you get. Next time you are splitting a log notice how much faster you move when you move the saw to a more vertical position ( drop the saw down ) on the end.
Ron.

Glad others responded to your post, I tried last night (in bed with my tablet). Post never made it to AAW's server I guess. Tablet is limited for such work. Your post read, in part: "Next time you are splitting a log notice how much faster you move when you move the saw to a more vertical position ( drop the saw down ) on the end." Sounds like you're describing having the log on end, but lowering the user-end of the saw so the approach is angled. If that's an accurate description, it's basically the same orientation as laying the log down (instead of on end) and working your way long-ways, with the bar angled (wish I had a picture!). I've always found this easier, faster and safer than having a log on end. Yes, you can get bogged down in shavings, but that's not a big deal, IMHO. Earlier posts here bare that out, and present solutions.

If, instead, you might be describing just cutting straight down through the end-grain, presenting the chain in the same orientation as a band saw blade would travel, mmmmm no thanks. This is one of those exchanges where pictures would be so helpful to clarify!:)

The last two pictures involve cutting the log in half longitudinally. But it appears he accomplished this by standing the log on end and cutting straight down through the end grain. Not the best approach! Hard on the saw, the chain and frustrating to the operator. Easier to lay the log down and cut down through the center

I generally use a combination of the two methods - start the cut through the end then switch to cutting down the length, then back to the end for some depth, often cutting at some angle. This method gives me straight lines to follow so my halves are less likely to have a curve. I don't like the long stringy "chips" when they clog up the saw but one thing not mentioned - different types of wood behave differently.

JKJ

I generally use a combination of the two methods - start the cut through the end then switch to cutting down the length, then back to the end for some depth, often cutting at some angle. This method gives me straight lines to follow so my halves are less likely to have a curve. I don't like the long stringy "chips" when they clog up the saw but one thing not mentioned - different types of wood behave differently.

JKJ
Makes sense to me. Last weekend, 12 of us plus a shop-owner and chapter instructor cut up the better part of a 100-year old maple tree. Chainsaws buzzing. Humongous pieces of wood. Didn't really see too much clogging, though a couple people ran out of gas.:rolleyes:

Glad others responded to your post, I tried last night (in bed with my tablet). Post never made it to AAW's server I guess. Tablet is limited for such work. Your post read, in part: "Next time you are splitting a log notice how much faster you move when you move the saw to a more vertical position ( drop the saw down ) on the end." Sounds like you're describing having the log on end, but lowering the user-end of the saw so the approach is angled. If that's an accurate description, it's basically the same orientation as laying the log down (instead of on end) and working your way long-ways, with the bar angled (wish I had a picture!). I've always found this easier, faster and safer than having a log on end. Yes, you can get bogged down in shavings, but that's not a big deal, IMHO. Earlier posts here bare that out, and present solutions.

If, instead, you might be describing just cutting straight down through the end-grain, presenting the chain in the same orientation as a band saw blade would travel, mmmmm no thanks. This is one of those exchanges where pictures would be so helpful to clarify!:)

Jamie. What I meant was if you have the log laying horizontal on a saw horse, you will find that it cuts better if you drop the saw so you are cutting the wood at say a 45 degree angle. Not as stringy. No increased hazard as far as I am concerned. As I mentioned before, sharpen your saw teeth straight across & it is not as stringy. Lay out a straight line along the log with the saw in any case. Ron.

Jamie. It sounds like you have had a problem on the bandsaw cutting cross grain. If you have say an aggressive 3 tooth blade it will grab, your wood will bounce & it can be scary. Solution, a less aggressive blade, & make sure your blank is flat on the BS table & feed slowly. Ron.

Jamie. It sounds like you have had ain blade selectioproblem on the bandsaw cutting cross grain. If you have say an aggressive 3 tooth blade it will grab, your wood will bounce & it can be scary. Solution, a less aggressive blade, & make sure your blank is flat on the BS table & feed slowly. Ron.
Nope, no prblems with bandsaw cutting--am pretty well versed in blade selection and safety stuff. Bandsaw was my first "real tool" years ago.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just cut up 2 huge trees taken down near my hair cutters grandmothers. These were about 4' wide in spots. to get the wood small enough for me to move I had lots of ripping and well as cross cutting. It let me play with my saw a little more than normal. You gotta have some fun and experiment when you have that big of a job. I have Husky saws. I've always sort of learned this but what I find when ripping to use the description above, cut less than parallel to the grain. If you have a log on a saw horse lowering the saw a little produces shorter strings that don't clog. If it's on the ground I will raise the blade a little but it doesn't cut as fast this way.

Cross cutting on the bandsaw. Don't do it unless you have the log in a cradle of some sort. I have a V shaped cradle that rides in my miter slots. Even with non aggressive blades you can get a catch and it will roll the log faster than you can move your hands. Damages the blade at the least. I did it for years thinking I knew enough to counter the downward force when entering and exiting the cut. Got a severe catch one day after doing this for many years. Scared me a lot because of how fast it happened. I could have easily lost a finger or even a hand. I made a cradle that afternoon and never tried that again even on small stock. Without a doubt the bandsaw is the most dangerous tool in my shop right next to the angle grinder and chainsaw.

Leaving the pith in wood can be done. I think I answered this before. Most of the time it's not worth doing because the chances of it cracking there are extremely high. Some woods will let you get buy with it and a few more will get buy if you turn really thin. However you will almost always get more warping right around the pith that can be ugly so I would say avoid it until you have enough experience to understand how the wood moves on that particular species and how to use that to your advantage in the design process.

Where I get into trouble with clogging, is that the log being cut is lying on 2 half logs. That last little near corner after cutting at a 45 degree angle I go horizontal to prevent the tip from getting into dirt. One thing I try to do is lift the bar up and rev- that clears out the chips without new ones being made. I rarely get into that trouble except 2 weeks ago!!!!!! and not sure why. Gretch

...cut up the better part of a 100-year old maple tree. Chainsaws buzzing.... a couple people ran out of gas.:rolleyes:

I seem to run out of gas more often the older I get. I do a lot of chainsawing here on the farm - I think there are about 20 trees down from the last storm, more from before, one pine tree still across the fence. That's the least fun kind of chainsawing - one branch at a time, whittling away, getting sticky with pine sap.

Fortunately that one is fairly small. The oak in the picture below was the worst fence crusher I've ever had to deal with. I heard it come down about 1/4 mile away. It was a major engineering feat to figure out how to remove it by myself without dying. I used the 18" Stihl 250 for the entire thing.

tree_down.jpg

JKJ

RE: the original question--
Mark, if you have an off center pith in a piece of that diameter and your wife wants 3.5-4" bases on the candle sticks, I would personally recommend cutting 2 blanks from your first 14" long piece and a second pair from a second 14" long piece. Whether with band saw or chain saw, make a cut through the pith in line with the grain direction (a rip cut) with the log oriented with the fat side of the pith all on one side (right or left) and the thin side on the other. Then cut the resulting halves through the pith in line with the grain. You'll have 2 larger but equal spindle blanks from each log for the candlesticks and 2 smaller blanks to use for something else. (If you leave the thin side un-split, you could also have some shallow bowl blanks)
log cut.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My thought about the diameter of the base of a candle stick is that the size mentioned is going to be rather heavy and awkward looking and wouldn't be a good complement to the candle size. I think that a base that is about 1¾" to 2¼" would work if you are thinking of something possibly like a Rude Osolnik style candlestick. I would lean towards the smaller size however, I think that a base up to 2½" or thereabouts could be done without looking disproportionate. For stability, you could add weight to the base ... large steel washers and a screw are an easy way to add weight. Some turners used to melt lead and pour it into a recess in the base, but that is a bit messy and messing with lead is not a great idea anyway.

Back