• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Big Ugly Tool

big and ugly

Nice video on making the tool. I'm all in for owning another tool especially one that I can make myself. What do you like about this style scraper as compared to anything that is commercially available? Is it used primarily used for spindle work or do you also use it on bowls etc. Something was said about Madrone in particular. Just trying to figure out why it is poplar with the west coast turners.

Well, one of the big points is edge holding. Stays sharp for multiple bowls. I think it makes an excellent heavy roughing tool, especially for bowls. The edge holds almost as well as carbide, but you can easily sharpen it on standard wheels. Used here a lot for Myrtle, which tends to be abrasive on tools. When I get to my friend and shot some film of him, he turns some dainty finials with it.

robo hippy

Rick, there is a link on the video or in the wordage some where. VR Wesson in Florida has it.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
where does on acquire this magical metal??
tungstal????

Do a Google search for "tantung" or "stellite". I see HERE that there are twelve different alloys in the stellite category and I believe that there are also several different flavors of tantung. I read in several sites that Stellite J and Tantung G are the best ones for woodworking. I am pretty certain that a tantung big ugly scraper is the only thing that stands between me and greatness. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, I don't do acetylene welding or silver soldering so I'll just have to be content knowing that I was that close to fame and fortune.

Last edited:
That's why this makes a great club project, some one in the club will have the skills.... Of course, you need to love scrapers...

robo hippy

Making the tool?

Robo, do you have any plans to make and sell the tool? If so, I am interested in buying one. I am a loyal customer of yours. Jerry Simpson

Not really, in part because I don't know how to use the torch, and have no room for tanks and fire stuff in the shop. Guessing, the 1 inch wide ones, made for sale would be in the $100 range.

robo hippy

Back