• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Milwaukee drill/sander bearing

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Hello All,

I'm starting to get some interesting squeaks in a Milwaukee angle drill. I'd like to get bearings on their way.

I learned the hard way with chainsaws a while ago that not all parts are made equal...

Can I ask where you like to get replacement bearings and parts?

Thanks in advance.
Zach

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I also have a Milwaukee angle drill that is showing the same noisy symptoms. I'm interested, as well, to have information from someone who has replaces bearings in these drills.

There is a place in town here that specializes in rebuilding small industrial tools......haven't contacted them, but that is an alternative way to get the bearings replaced.....

ko

Fastenal is an industrial supply house that offers repair at their regional warehouses. Might be a problem in AK.

Google

Hello All,

I'm starting to get some interesting squeaks in a Milwaukee angle drill. I'd like to get bearings on their way.

I learned the hard way with chainsaws a while ago that not all parts are made equal...

Can I ask where you like to get replacement bearings and parts?

Thanks in advance.
Zach

This always works for me. If you have the owner's manual and parts diagram, look up the part # and enter it in a Google search bar, as in Milwaukee #????. You should get lot's of choices where to buy the parts.

There are industrial big box stores that can get you the bearings. There was a long discussion about which bearings to use for the Milwaukee/Sioux angle drills (I think Milwaukee makes their own now). If you still have the parts list on the info you got with the drill, the stores can look up the specs as well as your repair shop. You do want double sealed, not sheilded bearings. You may want to have the brushes replaced or looked at too. Once it starts to make noise, that is the time to replace the bearings. I wore out the plastic housing on a couple of my drills by not taking them in soon enough. You could also call the repair place and tell them what is going on, and they could order parts and have them in for you, when you need to take the drill in. Cost last time for me was about $80. I don't really know if the factory bearings are any better than the special ones you can buy. Still, the biggest problem with these angle drills is that they are drills and we use them as grinders. I did buy one of the cordless Milwaukee screw guns with the 12 volt batteries. Speed range is perfect, but I get about 1 bowl out of a charge. I do sand at about 600 rpm or less. The slower speeds allow for more traction, and the abrasives cut faster and better than high speeds. This also gets me more life time out of a set of bearings. Using the 3 inch discs, at high speeds, I would get 300 plus bowls of various sizes. When I dropped to slow speed, it went up to 400 plus.

I will be putting in a call to Milwaukee later this week to see if I can do a hard wire on my cordless drill or maybe convince them to make some thing better. The screw guns are far better for taking the torque loads that our sanding puts on the drills. Now, if they had a mini Hole Hawg!!!

robo hippy

Drills are designed for thrust (axial) loads.

Sanding is putting a radial as well as a thrust load on the bearings.

This type of load would require a different type of bearing that may not fit in the drills housing.

Does some one make a sander designed for the sanding loads? This would be more like an angle grinder type of product but with slower speeds and a small collet to accept sanding disks.

Stu

Bearings

When I replaced mine they were available through Enco. Part #505-6476. Bearing .25 x .625 x.196 Double sealed radial bearing. I see that particular bearing is now discontinued. Perhaps the attachments will help some of you.

Attachments

• Milwaukee drill parts list.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Milwaukee Drill Wiring Diagram.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 5
Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
When I replaced mine they were available through Enco.

George— Can I ask: Is it a difficult job to replace the bearings? Until I looked at the parts list, I didn't realize there are four bearings.

Robo— Thanks for all the good advice. I hadn't considered burning out the plastic housing. At this point, the drill is squealing a little, and I sure don't have anywhere near 3-400 bowls on it. I'm sure better dust collection would help, too.
For what it's worth, a locksmith I know wired his cordless 12V drill to his work van. If you have luck with that, please share.

Stu— I've sure looked for a sander/grinder/drill that's as handy as the angle drills but made for our levels of wear. I'm intrigued with the Sioux angle screwdrivers but $600 bucks, 16 cf of air/minute, and 75 dbs has kept my intrigue from pulling out the credit card.

Great conversation, thanks everyone for contributing.

Zach, your problem will more than likely be the two bearings, one on each side of the armature. I cut the bad ones of with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool and then pressed the new one on using a socket that just contacted just the inner race. Others have broken the race in a vise. Attached is a photo I had saved from Dominic Greco of the two bearings.

Attachments

• Milwaukee Drill Dominic Greco.jpg
    Milwaukee Drill Dominic Greco.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 41
Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Thanks!

Zach, your problem will more than likely be the two bearings, one on each side of the armature. I cut the bad ones of with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool and then pressed the new one on using a socket that just contacted just the inner race. Others have broken the race in a vise. Attached is a photo I had saved from Dominic Greco of the two bearings.

Thanks, George! It looks strait forward. I'll be ordering bearings soon.

Best,
Zach

One of the bearings can be pulled, but the second one has to be cut. I bought Japanese bearings at my local shop that were $17 each. The more they ran the better they became. Let go of the trigger and 5 second spin down. The guys behind the counter usually know their stuff. Take one of the bearings to a industrial supply an talk to the personnel. I now have to buy new brushes, but the bearings are still better than when they were new.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
One of the bearings can be pulled, but the second one has to be cut. I bought Japanese bearings at my local shop that were $17 each. The more they ran the better they became. Let go of the trigger and 5 second spin down. The guys behind the counter usually know their stuff. Take one of the bearings to a industrial supply an talk to the personnel. I now have to buy new brushes, but the bearings are still better than when they were new.

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Maybe I should buy stock in Japanese bearings really fast before all of the forum readers drive up demand! :)

bearings

Im curious if the same can be done to the cheaper imports??
Am sure there are subtle differences but they all look alike to me.

Back