• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking to start a new wood turning group

Finding turners

Dave, cool! You might want to see if you can put up a poster at your local woodworking store(s). I am very surprised, and somewhat disappointed, at how few of the club members I know who actually frequent this forum.:( That may not be the case in your neighborhood, of course.

Dave, cool! You might want to see if you can put up a poster at your local woodworking store(s). I am very surprised, and somewhat disappointed, at how few of the club members I know who actually frequent this forum.:( That may not be the case in your neighborhood, of course.

That is a good idea except the closest store is about an hour away

That is a good idea except the closest store is about an hour away

Hah, I was afraid of that! Still, we have members from very far and wide come to our meetings, maybe you could call the store and ask the manager if you could mail in a poster. Our chapter is the "Olympic Peninsula Chapter" of AAW, which meets in Chico, WA (just north of Bremerton) and draws people from up to 1.5 hours away -- not dozens, but several regulars who drive 1 hour or more. The greater geographical area is pretty rural, though there are several decent sized towns around. The woodturners seem to prefer houses surrounded by trees and water, so we're spread pretty thin.:)

Chicago Woodturners club is pretty close in Arlington Heights Il. Big club with a nationally known symposium. Windy City club is in Lyle Il and down in the south suburbs are the Illiana Woodturners with a full workshop and members in the shop two times per week for mentoring. Google them for times and places

Wow, that is very cool! Have to talk to our prez and see if we could do something similar (probably not quite as often though).
Yes it is great but also comes with commitment. We have a 3520, the Big Jets and an assortment of others. 3 bandsaws, table saw, drill press and other tools. There are chucks and tools to use if needed. Kicker is the club dues are $50 a year!

Yes it is great but also comes with commitment. We have a 3520, the Big Jets and an assortment of others. 3 bandsaws, table saw, drill press and other tools. There are chucks and tools to use if needed. Kicker is the club dues are $50 a year!

It must be a big club, especially to have enough mentors who are willing to commit to staffing on such a regular basis. I'm impressed!

It must be a big club, especially to have enough mentors who are willing to commit to staffing on such a regular basis. I'm impressed!

In its hay day there were 200 members as a carving club. The turners were lucky enough to be accepted as a sig group and have helped keep things above water. Many of the original carvers have past away and those that remain are happy to have the help. The turners total about 35 the people on a Weds night and Saturday mornings are the "Can't get enough of turning friends group".

Back