• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

shipping wood

What is the least expensive way to ship wood????? I have the "opportunity" to fly to Marquette , Mi for 2 1/2 days maybe on a monthly basis.. The veterinary owner of practice found out I was a woodworker, and he has a source of cherry burls for me (told him I was in love with him already!!!!). I think I can bring back 50# on the airplane for $25 as all I will have is a carryon. "flat" rate from ? (usp,usps? fed ex)
was mentioned a while ago, Gretch

i think on burls that to keep the eyes not broken off, just pad all the burls and pack in checked bagged like you said..........I have had regular blanks banged up from ups, etc.........the blanks it was not a problem for the dents, but burls........you can have 2 carry ons but the size is limited

What is the least expensive way to ship wood????? I have the "opportunity" to fly to Marquette , Mi for 2 1/2 days maybe on a monthly basis.. The veterinar owner of practice found out I was a woodworker, and he has a source of cherry burls for me (told him I was in love with him already!!!!). I think I can bring back 50# on the airplane for $25 as all I will have is a carryon. "flat" rate from ? (usp,usps? fed ex)
was mentioned a while ago, Gretch
Flat rate is a USPS thing, a serious bargain, details on USPS.com or at your post office . They have small, medium and large flat-rate boxes, so it would depend on if you could fit the burl in one of those. Each size comes in a couple different set of dimensions. Bubble wrap is your friend.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Gretch,
You might check with UPS freight. If you can get a pallet and move it to their dock and pick it up for the other end dock Then it might be a couple hundred dollars for 3-400 pounds. You can load a pallet in the back of a pickup. Boxes cost more. Also if you can fly southwest you get 2 bags of 40 pound each free. Al

Last edited:
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
The veterinary owner of practice found out I was a woodworker, and he has a source of cherry burls for me (told him I was in love with him already!!!!).

Luggage would be my first choice; USPS is great if you have a quantity that will fit in a flat-rate box — not sure how big these burls are...

You might want to call your local agriculture extension office just to make sure there are no restrictions on bringing cherry into the state. It’d be a huge disappointment to have it confiscated at the airport if it gets flagged for inspection.

Last edited:
Gretch, this must be for you...

Jamie,
You might check with UPS freight.
If you can get a pallet and move it to their dock and pick it up for the other end dock
Then it might be a couple hundred dollars for 3-400 pounds.
You can load a pallet in the back of a pickup.

Boxes cost more.

Also if you can fly southwest you get 2 bags of 40 pound each free.

Al

Thanks, Al, but I think you might have meant the mssg for Gretch, yes?:)

USPS flat rate is the best way to go...but...the boxes are rather small. Even the Large flat rate box is only 12x12x6 (approx)

the next best bet is to use USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate boxes. They still charge by weight, but it's not as bad as regular mail - for example

a large flat rate box ships for $15.80
a 20# Regional Rate "B" box (12x10.5x5.5) ships from TX to MI for $13.37
a 20 Regional Rate "C" box (12x12x15) ships from TX to MI $37.38

The "B" and "C" is the box size not the shipping rate.

the downside of Regional Rate shipping is that you must order the boxes ahead of time from USPS.com, and you have to pay for and print your shipping labels online - you can't go into a post office and get the regional rate shipping.

and there's also Fedex or UPS ground. I shipped 100# (or so) of pecan wood to someone up in Michigan (I think) by Fedex Ground. I think it was around $80, and it was a fairly large box: 24x24x30 maybe. I find Fedex to be a bit cheaper than UPS for people that don't have corporate shipping accounts.

Website
jpseyfried.com
shipping wood restrictions

Gretch, I know that when I go to the U.P. there is always notices about bringing wood up there, (now) but don't know if it is the same for wood heading south. I think it is environmental reasons, ash bore maybe? However, if that is not a problem and you are getting enough that it might be a "couple hundred to ship," I know a friend of yours with a truck that will work for wood. :) It is a day trip from my cabin and would be a neat adventure.

Gretch, I know that when I go to the U.P. there is always notices about bringing wood up there, (now) but don't know if it is the same for wood heading south. I think it is environmental reasons, ash bore maybe? However, if that is not a problem and you are getting enough that it might be a "couple hundred to ship," I know a friend of yours with a truck that will work for wood. :) It is a day trip from my cabin and would be a neat adventure.

Thanks Jim. From here I hear it is an 8 hour trip in good weather. Today is our first school snow day and will become a whiteout when the winds get ripping. Will know more when I go there next week and again in Feb (flying). Got a big crate on your bike????Thanks, Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Luggage would be my first choice; USPS is great if you have a quantity that will fit in a flat-rate box — not sure how big these burls are...

You might want to call your local agriculture extension office just to make sure there are no restrictions on bringing cherry into the state. It’d be a huge disappointment to have it confiscated at the airport if it gets flagged for inspection.

Even though Marquette and Haslett are both in Michigan there are sometimes bans on transporting certain native species of wood out of some counties to try to slow the spread of invasive pests and diseases. Aside from that, airlines may have restrictions on carrying raw wood.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Gretch,

Al has a good point if Southwest flies where you're going.

I fly Southwest a fair bit for work between NOLA and Houston. If you can pack your stuff in a carry on, then you have two bags you can fill with wood. But if you are a single pound over the limit it's something like $35 for the bag. I usually check my bags and it's never a hassle. All at the kiosk and very convenient.

As mentioned, check your regulations about bringing in wood from out of state. You might bring a critter that isn't welcomed at home. I think the Great Smoky Mountain NP has restrictions on firewood from outside the park or distant counties.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here is some more information about transporting wood. Generally these links refer to fire wood, but it's the same thing as turning wood. The intended use doesn't alter the problem of spreading pests and diseases:

It seems like the bottom line on all of these links is that all trees are hosts to various critters and some of these like the gypsy moth are really bad and not fussy about what species of tree it decides to infest and kill. In my searching, I discovered that there are actually firewood forums ... people that want to talk about firewood ... I'm not making this up. And, who knows, they might think that woodturners are weird. Anyway, I discovered that there are folks on those firewood forums that think that all these restrictions to fight the spread of pests that are killing trees is just a conspiracy against them. On one thread that I read, a fellow in Florida had pine trees on his property that were killed by pine bark beetles. He cut the trees up for firewood and was planning to transport it to a relative in Virginia and was wondering if there was any problem with transporting the wood across state lines. Most of the responses were recommendations along the lines of "put a tarp over the wood and travel at night". :rolleyes: There were one or two silly people who suggested that spreading pests that were killing trees might be a bad idea. But, after all, this was a firewood forum so the only good tree is a dead tree.

Al, have any of your pine trees died and do you have any relatives in Virginia? .... Just wondering. :D

so what kind of turnings do yall Texans do with soapberry

I showed you the box elder insect, so what is the Mexican soapberry borer, sorry I have never heard of it before, seems it would be more infamous.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
. Al, have any of your pine trees died and do you have any relatives in Virginia? .... Just wondering. :D

Used to live in MD does that count :)

We have a dead pine that we will try to cut down next week. We were discussing what to do with the wood.
Our conclusion is that no special precautions are necessary since the tree probably died from s lightning strike plus any pests in the tree have had months to move to the surrounding trees. So most of it will go for a brush pile.

Al

Attachments

• P1110007.jpg
    P1110007.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1120085.jpg
    P1120085.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 36
Here is some more information about transporting wood. Generally these links refer to fire wood, but it's the same thing as turning wood. The intended use doesn't alter the problem of spreading pests and diseases:

It seems like the bottom line on all of these links is that all trees are hosts to various critters and some of these like the gypsy moth are really bad and not fussy about what species of tree it decides to infest and kill. In my searching, I discovered that there are actually firewood forums ... people that want to talk about firewood ... I'm not making this up. And, who knows, they might think that woodturners are weird. Anyway, I discovered that there are folks on those firewood forums that think that all these restrictions to fight the spread of pests that are killing trees is just a conspiracy against them. On one thread that I read, a fellow in Florida had pine trees on his property that were killed by pine bark beetles. He cut the trees up for firewood and was planning to transport it to a relative in Virginia and was wondering if there was any problem with transporting the wood across state lines. Most of the responses were recommendations along the lines of "put a tarp over the wood and travel at night". :rolleyes: There were one or two silly people who suggested that spreading pests that were killing trees might be a bad idea. But, after all, this was a firewood forum so the only good tree is a dead tree.

Al, have any of your pine trees died and do you have any relatives in Virginia? .... Just wondering. :D

Bill-thanks so much for doing some leg work for me. I have just got onto the Mi DNR site, found an email and fired off a question. We'll see if I get a personal response.
In the past, getting over amer/can border is problematic when traveling from Mass to Mi. One of the last times when I couldn't hide the bulk of stuff brought,the border ag person on the us side said "by rights, I could confiscate the whole van load, but you had the bark off, had a receipt, and I am a wood turner!!!!".
Last fall, since I had suv load, I went the southern route thru ohio-so no one to stop me. 2 hours longer. Had all the bark off, had a receipt from purchasing other wood from a lumber yard (owner knows to put down "and misc. cut offs" . Didn't want to stand the chance of confiscation. Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
?.. Last fall, since I had suv load, I went the southern route thru ohio-so no one to stop me. 2 hours longer. Had all the bark off, had a receipt from purchasing other wood from a lumber yard (owner knows to put down "and misc. cut offs" . Didn't want to stand the chance of confiscation. Gretch

Misc cut offs, indeed.

That's not firewood, that's mesquite. Some firewood dealers can't tell the difference.

Gourmet Wood Products Fort Worth.......I believe that was the place........they sell mesquite to resturants and barbeque outfits, nice enough to sell me some several years ago.........they definitely had a plan

Last edited:
Bill-thanks so much for doing some leg work for me. I have just got onto the Mi DNR site, found an email and fired off a question. We'll see if I get a personal response.

Whoa- I got a reply from Mi DNR.
"RE: cherry burl
Turner, Andrew (DNR) [TURNERA1@michigan.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:51 PM
To:
Flo, Gretchen

Yes.

Sincerely,

Lt. Andrew Turner

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:03 AM
To: DNR-Director
Subject: cherry burl

I am from Haslett Mi , and will be flying to Marquette, Mi where I may have the opportunity to obtain some
cherry burls. Can I fly with these?

Gretch,
It's fun to read the air travel suggestions to Marquette. Our kids used to be able to recite the 4 legs of our flight when we flew North Central into Rhinelander to visit near Watersmeet. Will you be flying the UP's own airline? (UP North, to those not in the know)

Gretch,
Will you be flying the UP's own airline? (UP North, to those not in the know)

To other not in the "know". UP is also Upper Peninsula. They have tried to secede from Mich a few times. Vet up there has sarcastically (I think??) said to bring my passport. I fly Delta I think-emailed the vet up there who is currently in Alaska mushing that the real flights haven;'t been sent to me yet. Gretch

The UP is definitely a different part of MI. I used to live in Queens, NY- the metro area was like a different place compared to the rest of NY state, referred to as Upstate New York. At the time (early 60s), there was a movement in the five boroughs to have NY state and the federal government to recognize them as an independent state.

most of yall were part of Virginia when it was a colony of England.............seems we should be getting some sales tax or something for the help

arrived home tonite with cherry burls

Took carryon to the UP of mich to work and had a nylon bag inside it.. Was given 3 cherry burls (cut 3 weeks ago), on the small side of course, and they fit into the nylon duffle like bag-about 40# I'd say. had it as checked baggage coming home and was armed with the letter from the DNR giving approval to fly them home. My source said I could have a 400 # burl too!!!.
Delta nor TSA didn't even ask what was in the bag and I couldn't proudly wave my dispensation from the Pope.
Repeating the work in 2 weeks and hope to repeat the process.
One of the associates is coming to my area for a convention and may bring some in her car.
Can't wait to get started!!!!, Gretch

Anyone else find it funny that your DNR officer's last name is "Turner". Fate was on your side from the beginning!

Jay-I hadn't noticed!!!!!.BTW I did have a TSA notice inside the bag that it was inspected, and a small seal was placed ouside on the baggage ticked as approved. Gretch

Back