• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Up for discussion.......are you bored with turning?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've asked myself this question quite a few times lately......and, the answer is yes, and no.....!

During the process of finishing a roughed and seasoned bowl, which probably averages around 5-6 hours, boredom often visits. I'm doing things that I've done a thousand times before, and the process doesn't vary very much. This year, I've installed a stereo radio/cd player in the shop......this helps. For the first time in years, I'm visiting the music section often while I shop at the local Super Walmart! My music collection is growing.....I suppose that's a good thing!

The one big thing that really helps me to deal with repetitive things......is anticipation. You see, I never really have a very good concept of how well a bowl is going to turn out.....until that final moment when I apply Danish Oil.....then, the excitement I feel is incredible!

That whole excitement thing I feel is repeated again when I buff and wax, a few days later! :cool:

I usually have 3-4 bowls in process at any given time......but......of all things, there is a little disappointment when a bowl is done, and my input is finished......:eek:

Then it starts all over again.......:p

Hope you all are working off the calories you consumed yesterday.....and, got your football fix out of the way for awhile! ;)

ko

Bored?

Being a new turner I am still pretty excited about what I am doing and hope to do in the future. Also being newly retired I have more time available to pursue turning.

For me I am not sure it is boredom, more like anxious in the frustrated sense. I like rough turning, which I do a lot of, and dry blanks for others. Problem is that I don't get to finish turn as much as I want. When I go to the shop I feel like I should be rough turning to get ready for the next kiln load. When what I really want to do is finish turn some projects and ideas I have. I have about 10 bowls in various stages to finish, some need the inside turned some need sanding and some need the bottoms completed. I feel like I am neglecting the roughing when I work on these other projects. I need to find a balance somewhere or somehow.

At this point, I am not production turning any more. I am doing a few different things like inventing toys for the tool-a-holics, and branching out a bit into more shapes on the lathe. I am working on perfecting, well coming closer, to perfect cutting form. Maybe I can start sanding at 600 like Odie did, even if I don't use 600 grit. I would compare it to 'Do you ever have pieces that you just can't bare to sell because you like them so much?' Nope, I can't wait to see what is in the next piece. I picked up a dump truck load of London Plane/sycamore lately, and cutting it to expose the ray patterns is a different challenge. I will be ordering Madrone and Myrtle logs in about 3 months... Best to get them when the sap is rising...

I also get to go into a local FM station that has classes for the kids on radio broadcasting and co-host on a couple of shows. Music is another love that I can't get enough of. I ain't country, but Junior Brown and his guit-steel are some thing else.....

Having too much fun.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I enjoy turning wet wood so a lot of my turning are hollow forms and natural edge bowls which only involve turning wet wood.

A timely question on turning dry bowls. I only turn a few cut rim bowls a year. It took me over an hour to turn and sand to 320 the outside of the bowl below. Bowl is maple 14.5" diameter and 6.5" high. In the photo the outside has a coat of thin shellac. The rest is bare wood. The 2" band is where I will do some embellishment which is still evolving in my mind. Still a lot of finish work to do.

I don't think boredom is the best description but in returning the bowl everything is pretty much predetermined so there is a lot of tedium and the milestones are not especially challenging since I know I will get there it is just not when.
Turn the outside to the curve I got with the green bowl,
turn a 2" wide band for the embellishment with clean grooves.
Turn the inside smooth, and sand.

When I was turning the top inside with the push cut, I got a little more tearout in one spot that I expected on the first inch and a half.
Took 6 finish cuts with my 1/4" Michelson ground gouge to clean it up. Usually 2 or 3 and it is a clean surface.
I know I will get a clean surface it is just when... Then I used the Ellsworth with a shear cut for the rest g the inside.
Got a bump or two I had to smooth them into the curve - again just part of the recipe.
In the very bottom I got a little chatter so I had to use my round nose scrapper to clean that up.
Again just a matter of repeating it until smooth.
For me it is not boredom so much as tedious activity that requires my full attention.

I am always listening to the wood just in case something decides to go wrong.

Al

Attachments

• image-826114746.jpg
    image-826114746.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2844217066.jpg
    image-2844217066.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2391559379.jpg
    image-2391559379.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Any type of crafting is the challenge to something different each time- different wood, different shape, different finish, etc.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I rarely get bored except when turning bowls. I'm just not a bowl turner. Oh I've turned many more than I thought when I started going through my photo archives but only a few do I really really get all the way through the process and still enjoy it. Other projects usuallly really keep me excited. I am having trouble getting motivated right now. I've been without a shop for 6 months and getting back into turning. However there's still a lot to be done on the shop so it's just hard to get excited. I do have a project that's fighting me on the design so that is helping my motivation.

This is a subject that really hits home. Last year in October I had major surgery (open abdomen AAA) which stopped me from turning. I have lost interest and have a piece on the lathe I need to finish and also some on the bench I need to finish etc. The boss keeps telling me I need to get Christmas done soon. Bored, can't decide what direction I want to go....

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Odie,

We all need to shake things up now and then. I've become bored with other areas of woodwork after extended periods, and for me at least, it's boiled down to getting good enough at something that the challenge is harder to find. That's why I've done everything from finish carpentry to trailwork to yacht interiors to chainsaw milling. I wonder if there's another area of woodwork that might bring the thrill back to you. Most of us are obsessed with wood, and I know for me at least, that there is more than a lifetime of woodworking challenges out there.

That's in part what led me to turning, and I just started going at it with gusto this year. I've found that even though I've been doing little else professionally (and as a hobby) than woodwork for over 20 years, that with turning I had to start from the ground up. There just isn't much carry over, other than with all the lathe prep tools: chainsaw, bandsaw, etc. So for me: turning is exciting, challenging, and new.

Maybe it's time to build a boat, a rocking chair, cut some firewood, help a friend with a sawmill, etc...

The last thing I'll say is that returning to an area of woodwork that I've taken a long break from is a great reunion, like connecting with an old friend I haven't seen in a while. I'm just senile enough that I forget a few things, but muscle memory and habit bring it all back quick, and with renewed satisfaction.

Thanks for all of your posts here, Odie. I've learned some great stuff!

Best,
Zach

odie

TOTW Team
Maybe I can start sanding at 600 like Odie did, even if I don't use 600 grit.

For the record, here.......I should interject that I've only started exterior sanding at 600gt a couple of times in the past. I wish I could say it happens more often, but overall, I am starting sanding directly from a tool finish at higher grits than I've ever been able before. 320gt frequently, with an occasional 400gt, but 220 would probably be the most often staring grit.

ko

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,

We all need to shake things up now and then. I've become bored with other areas of woodwork after extended periods, and for me at least, it's boiled down to getting good enough at something that the challenge is harder to find. That's why I've done everything from finish carpentry to trailwork to yacht interiors to chainsaw milling. I wonder if there's another area of woodwork that might bring the thrill back to you. Most of us are obsessed with wood, and I know for me at least, that there is more than a lifetime of woodworking challenges out there.

That's in part what led me to turning, and I just started going at it with gusto this year. I've found that even though I've been doing little else professionally (and as a hobby) than woodwork for over 20 years, that with turning I had to start from the ground up. There just isn't much carry over, other than with all the lathe prep tools: chainsaw, bandsaw, etc. So for me: turning is exciting, challenging, and new.

Maybe it's time to build a boat, a rocking chair, cut some firewood, help a friend with a sawmill, etc...

The last thing I'll say is that returning to an area of woodwork that I've taken a long break from is a great reunion, like connecting with an old friend I haven't seen in a while. I'm just senile enough that I forget a few things, but muscle memory and habit bring it all back quick, and with renewed satisfaction.

Thanks for all of your posts here, Odie. I've learned some great stuff!

Best,
Zach

Thanks, Zach.........:D

I suppose if there were one thing I've got an itch to return to, it's oil painting. I was a serious student of the art in my 20's and 30's......but, although I wasn't too bad at it, I wasn't good enough to satisfy my inner desires. It does take some degree of natural, or God given talent......whereas woodturning can be learned with some determination and orneriness.....of which I don't lack! :p

Many of my woodturning ideas and beliefs are scoffed at by what I call the "herd", but nevertheless, and as I always say....."The only thing that really matters, is results." One big change that has transpired in the past few years, is I have completely rejected the side grind, or the Ellsworth grind on gouges.....and, have gone back to my roots.....the old standard/traditional grind on gouges. That is probably seen as something akin to traitorous by a few other turners! :rolleyes: However, I've proven to myself that there is not one thing that can be accomplished with one, that can't be accomplished with the other......and, I tend to think the traditional grind has some distinct advantages over the Ellsworth grind. Besides being an easier grind to sharpen and maintain, the shorter angle of the grind along the wing is particularly advantageous to more natural body movements.

Enough......I'm rambling again!

Everyone have a good day!

ko

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
One big change that has transpired in the past few years, is I have completely rejected the side grind, or the Ellsworth grind on gouges.....and, have gone back to my roots.....the old standard/traditional grind on gouges. That is probably seen as something akin to traitorous by a few other turners! :rolleyes: However, I've proven to myself that there is not one thing that can be accomplished with one, that can't be accomplished with the other......and, I tend to think the traditional grind has some distinct advantages over the Ellsworth grind.

Kelly,
There is a really cool two faced bowl finishing tool used by Trent Bosch and few others. It has a traditional grind on the right side and an Ellsworth grind on the left side. The traditional grind is used with a flute up shear cut on the outside of the bowl and a Ellsworth side is used with a flute up shear cut on the inside.

When I go to symposiums and see the excellent bowl and hollow form turners the majority use something similar to the Ellsworth grind or the O'neil grind. However, it is a big tent and there are people using: scrapers, the Michelson grind, the 40/40 grind, the traditional grinds, and others. Many folks use several different grinds.
People at symposiums get exposed to a wide range of grinds, ideas, and preferences.

You don't do natural edge work or multi-center or multi axis work so the Ellsworth grid excellence on interrupted cuts wouldn't be important to you.
On a natural edge bowl the pull cut on the outside almost always cuts the bark cleanly and leaves a clean surface. For the interior finish the shear cut from rim to bottom center leaves a surface that needs little sanding. On multi axis turning the pull cut can be started off the wood and not chip the edge as it cuts.
Unfortunately these advanced cuts with side ground gouge are hard to master without a good mentor so a lot of folks give up on it before they learn to use it well.

When I look at the bowls made by Stirt, Mahoney, Bosch, Ellsworth..... I get a good feeling about trying to learn to use the side ground gouge a bit better.
Al

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Odie I always start sanding at 600 grit. Then I go back to 180, 150 or 120 or what ever it takes. This way I can always tell people I start sanding at 600. :)

Maybe if I can ever figure out how each piece of madrone is going to warp, I might bet bored. Well, any of the other pieces I turn too.

Odie, I haven't used a side grind for years. 40/40 is too pointy for me, and i prefer 45/45.

robo hippy

Odie,
There is nothing wrong with your thinking or experience with your grinds. Whatever works best for you should be OK with anyone. Robo gets his results with a scraper and on and on with examples of out of norm/herd thinking. I have been a outspoken critique of sliding head stock lathes which is against the norm/herd thinking. It is all good and most often really depends on what you're turning that dictates grinds, lathes and etc.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Odie I always start sanding at 600 grit. Then I go back to 180, 150 or 120 or what ever it takes. This way I can always tell people I start sanding at 600. :)
:). Be careful where you do that. :)

My first club demo after moving to Florida, as a joke I had used a few times, I pulled out a little square of 400 put it on the wood then grabbed the 150.

Everyone laughed except the person who was focused on note taking for the newsletter which later had the sentence: "Al always starts sanding with 400."

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I rarely get bored except when turning bowls. I'm just not a bowl turner. Oh I've turned many more than I thought when I started going through my photo archives but only a few do I really really get all the way through the process and still enjoy it. Other projects usuallly really keep me excited. I am having trouble getting motivated right now. I've been without a shop for 6 months and getting back into turning. However there's still a lot to be done on the shop so it's just hard to get excited. I do have a project that's fighting me on the design so that is helping my motivation.

Bowls bore me as well. I would rather do anything than turn bowls, but despite that I still wind up making at least a couple dozen a year ... some as gifts for relatives, some to donate to our clubs Christmas auction, and some for the local food bank to help support their annual Empty Bowls event. I'm always looking for a challenge to expand my skills. Currently, I am into pyrography and creating basket illusion pieces. I am also gathering up all the pieces that I need to start piercing with a dental handpiece.

Odie, I don't believe that there is a general consensus about what grind is best ... All that one needs to do is see the wide range of bowl gouge grinds used by other turners at any symposium. The Ellsworth grind is popular because it is easy to replicate with the jig and it is versatile, but it can be (and is) just a starting point for many other shapes. Ellsworth didn't invent the swept back grind ... it evolved naturally as a way to make the tool more versatile and less prone to catches. I think that Ellsworth's biggest contribution was to come up with innovative ideas on ways to use the bowl gouge that broke away from the old school (AKA herd) mentality of "there's only one right way" to use a tool.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
The Ellsworth grind is popular because it is easy to replicate with the jig and it is versatile, but it can be (and is) just a starting point for many other shapes. Ellsworth didn't invent the swept back grind ... it evolved naturally as a way to make the tool more versatile and less prone to catches. I think that Ellsworth's biggest contribution was to come up with innovative ideas on ways to use the bowl gouge that broke away from the old school (AKA herd) mentality of "there's only one right way" to use a tool.

Bill,
As we both said lots of other grinds in use at any symposium. But the majority are something like the O'neil or Ellsworth.
the ONEWAY vari-grind and the Ellsworth jig make it easy for new turners to get a good side ground shape.

Liam O'Neil invented the side ground gouge the American turners quickly adopted it.
Liam's grind had fairly flat long wings and a sort of pointy tip.
What David Ellsworth did was put more of a curve on the wing making It work better on the shear cut and put a more rounded nose by using the Henry Taylor Gouge.

I was extremely lucky to have a class with Liam in 1994 and class with David the following year.
It certainly had a major influence on my turning. Liam taught us all the cuts David did.
Scrape, bevel riding push cut, pull cut, shear cut, shear scrape....

Jimmy Clewes taught me the back cut.

Al

Round?

18 years ago I looked at the "whole turning thing" and said
"What's the BFD? Round is, well, 'round'. Why bother? I can get wood salad bowls at the grocery store."

But then one of my kids gets me a Raffan book for Christmas. Then the "Woodshow" circus comes to town and a JET 1236 follows me home.

"But this can't be as much fun as a potter's wheel, right?"

But it was, and with way less mess (not counting the dust).

Went from small, to large, and back to small, exploring woods and finishes. Gave most of the stuff away.

Ooops, got type cast. Suddenly friends and family sort of expected a new bowl or jar for gifts.
Suddenly, I was a "turner". People offered me wood sub silentio expecting me to make something for them in return.

Not bored, but exploring other outlets for a while. It's MY life after all.

are you bored with turning

Nope. I do so many other tings in the shop and around that - - -well Turning never gets old. I really don't get enough of it.
Here are some of the other things I do.

I made this for a grand daughter. She’s a girlie girl and loves hearts
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A box/P7280030.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A box/Mysnignature02.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A box/front.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A box/open-0013.jpg
and of course after I made the first one before I presented the gift to the little girl, I showed it to her mom ( my daughter) and her grand-mother and they REFUSED to let me make just the one for the one grand-daughter (I really was going to make another entirely different box for the other grand daughter, but I got the hint.
They wanted one too, so I ended up making five of them (one each) for all the women folk
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/more boxes/P8070009.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot. I cut the trees from which I milled the lumber to make the boards for the boxes.
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/Lumber/THELOG-02.jpg
So that that keeps me busy too
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/Lumber/THECROTCH.jpg
I took a few century old Siberian Elms off the property, some was firewood and plenty became lumber

Another box
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/KBs box/P7041891_zps17bd93ac.jpg

some several years back a grand daughter confided to me that he room has monsters that come out at night.
So I told her about this magic rock I had that beat up all the monsters in my back woods and the monsters wouldn’t come back and that the rock wanted to go home with her.
She put it by her bed and darn if it didn’t do the trick. So we designed a box for it with honkin’ big doors so it could watch over her at night. It remains to this day in a prominent place in a high corner shelf in her room lording it over all the shadows protecting her as she sleeps.
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums...agic Rock Boxes/P9230017-Copy_zpsbd69897d.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums...agic Rock Boxes/P9230021-Copy_zps1c0b8fe4.jpg

And on the topic of turning: Her sister needed a magic rock box too so she and I designed this one
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums...agic Rock Boxes/P9230023-Copy_zpse2116f0c.jpg

That was the very first sphere I turned. I had no idea how to go about it. But got-‘r-dun just the same. The sphere is not attached to the base but rotates freely upon it.
This magic rock lives in side it
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/Magic Rock Boxes/P9230024_zps738fecee.jpg the hinged brass door is just some bent up brass flat stock held in the radius shape by some brazed reinforcing underneath

There is the occasional piece of utilitarian furniture
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums...tal for washer dryer/DSCN1578_zpstkkwfmcl.jpg
The drawers are deep enough to easily take a bundle of 8 paper towels and gallon bleach bottles
Getting 300 pound that washing machine up that high and settling it on the thing was a real trip.
I did it all by myself. The rollers are Zambus style locking castors.
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums...r dryer/Pedastaldrawersopened_zps65be8ffa.jpg
This was my very first go-round at hand cut dovetails too.
It won’t be my last. I think I’ll be selling my Omnijig and Leigh D4 some time.

And of course I get all caught up in building tools for working wood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Ic-C28sYM

My rip on the REIS tripod for a gun rest among other things
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/tripod-0b3_zps6cf0f7f7.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/tripod-0b1_zps557a8620.jpg
And topic of turning again It was a lathe project
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/IMAG02781_zpsd116a586.jpg
The legs are made from turned huge dowels
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/IMAG0266_zps9dd63ff2.jpg Yes they are within 0.010†the entire length
Cut them in half and ran ‘em through the planer on a jig
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/IMAG0276_zps644ca0da.jpg
Glued up
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/IMAG0272_zpsad3c15bb.jpg

IT’s not all wood
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/A Tripod/knuckles-07_zps36f58c2b.jpg

Oh and outdoor stuff
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/adirondak chairs/017_7.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/zydaco/The Shop/adirondak chairs/019_5.jpg
And then then there are the big boxes like my 20 x 12 shed with real drop gable over hangs and 8 foot sliding doors and monster swinging doors for my Ferris zero turn lawn mower, 17 foot canoe, generator and snow blower and whatever all else I can fit in it.

So, No turning never gets a chance to boor me. I don’t get enough wood lathe time as it is.

odie

TOTW Team
Kelly,
There is a really cool two faced bowl finishing tool used by Trent Bosch and few others. It has a traditional grind on the right side and an Ellsworth grind on the left side. The traditional grind is used with a flute up shear cut on the outside of the bowl and a Ellsworth side is used with a flute up shear cut on the inside.

Interesting concept, Al......

Sounds a bit gimmicky though......The reason I say that, is you can't reverse directions and keep the same grind. I can see some newbies buying it, because for a very simple shape, where it would all be done in the same direction on interior, or exterior, it would work fine. I foresee problems for a more complex shape, though.

To my way of thinking about it, two separate bowl gouges.....one with traditional grind, and the other with the Ellsworth grind, would be the better option for those who wish to use both.

ko

Odie,
Trent's finish grind isn't really something he sells. He teaches the grind and it is one of the grinds he will use to finish cut if the piece of wood needs it. The grind is the same on both sides of the gouge but the top of the flute on the left side of the gouge is ground off so it won't catch going down the inside of the bowl so it gives the left wing an appearance of the nose area of the Ellsworth grind. As a matter of fact he will tell you that the nose bevel angle changes depending on what he needs to be able to go from rim to base. 60 degree to 85 degree if needed so it varies depending on what he needs..

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Interesting concept, Al...... Sounds a bit gimmicky To my way of thinking about it, two separate bowl gouges.....one with traditional grind, and the other with the Ellsworth grind, would be the better option for those who wish to use both. ko

It is a specialty tool just used for finish cuts on returned dried bowls.
The two sided gouge is usually a 3/8 which has less bevel contact than the 1/2.
Probably only practical for a production bowl turner.

It is actually quite a clever idea.
Two gouges cost about twice as much as one.
The right side is only used in the outside of the bowl the left side is on used ion the inside of the bowl.
With two gouges you would not be using only one side of each when doing a production run of bowls ant thus sharpening an unused side.

Al

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
Trent's finish grind isn't really something he sells. He teaches the grind and it is one of the grinds he will use to finish cut if the piece of wood needs it. The grind is the same on both sides of the gouge but the top of the flute on the left side of the gouge is ground off so it won't catch going down the inside of the bowl so it gives the left wing an appearance of the nose area of the Ellsworth grind. As a matter of fact he will tell you that the nose bevel angle changes depending on what he needs to be able to go from rim to base. 60 degree to 85 degree if needed so it varies depending on what he needs..

It is a specialty tool just used for finish cuts on returned dried bowls.
The two sided gouge is usually a 3/8 which has less bevel contact than the 1/2.
Probably only practical for a production bowl turner.

It is actually quite a clever idea.
Two gouges cost about twice as much as one.
The right side is only used in the outside of the bowl the left side is on used ion the inside of the bowl.
With two gouges you would not be using only one side of each when doing a production run of bowls ant thus sharpening an unused side.

Al

Still can't reverse directions.......

Still gimmicky, with less practical application than two gouges would be.......especially for complex shapes.

Right.....two gouges cost more than one...... :D

ko

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Still can't reverse directions....... :D ko

Actually it can change directions quite nicely the swept back side could cut on the outside of the bowl in the wrong direction but why ?

It is a specialty tool.
It is meant to cut in one direction on basic hemispherical shape bowl

from foot to rim on the outside with the right side of the tool
from rim to bottom center on the inside on the left side of the tool.

Al

odie

TOTW Team
Actually it can change directions quite nicely the swept back side could cut on the outside of the bowl in the wrong direction but why ?

I already answered why......For the kind of complex shapes where the grain orientation is best handled by more than one direction of the tool.

Technically, the tool can be reversed, but practically, it would not be desirable to change grinds......that's why two separate gouges would be better.

Al....you are welcome to use the tool any way you wish. Until I see something I can use that promises better results than I'm currently getting, I'll do the same.

ko

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I already answered why......For the kind of complex shapes where the grain orientation is best handled by more than one direction of the tool.

Technically, the tool can be reversed, but practically, it would not be desirable to change grinds......that's why two separate gouges would be better.

Al....you are welcome to use the tool any way you wish. Until I see something I can use that promises better results than I'm currently getting, I'll do the same.

ko

I think that the important part of this is that different people have their own grinds that they like because it suits their needs and sometimes others may also find it useful. You don't envision it useful for what you do and you might have your own "Odie" grind that perfectly fits your needs, but may or may not be useful to anybody else. I've taken a couple classes from Trent (ten years ago and four years ago). He doesn't push his tools although he did bring some of his hollowing tools for anybody who wanted to buy them. Several of the tools that he talked about during the class such as a modified gun drill are things that you can build yourself by buying the parts off eBay. I did buy Trent's carving stand and I think that it is the best design out there.

BTW, the modified gun drill has a air tool connector brazed to the back of the drill so that chips are cleared as a hole is drilled in a hollow form.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I already answered why......For the kind of complex shapes where the grain orientation is best handled by more than one direction of the tool. Technically, the tool can be reversed, but practically, it would not be desirable to change grinds......that's why two separate gouges would be better. Al....you are welcome to use the tool any way you wish. Until I see something I can use that promises better results than I'm currently getting, I'll do the same. ko

The special grinds out there should to be evaluated on what they do and how that fits with what we as turners do.
That grind is meant as a finish tool for salad bowls. There are lots of things it does not do well.
It is what it is
I wasn't suggesting that you would find any value in the tool. It is useful for production bowl turners.

A Ray Key box grind won't turn a bead but is sure does hollow a box.
Have fun
Al

yet another thread heads south off topic

yah but it's warm in the south and they have drinks with little party colored umbrellas.

Which expression about heading south beings up yet another interesting problem.
Why South?
Why not North? Why any compass direction?
Is it rooted in the bigotry of the conquerors?
South?

In the UK they say going west when they want to say something is going all to pieces. At least they used to.
The American colonies are west of the UK. Related?

I could be unrelated to any wars or northern bigotry, but solely derived from economic charts and business. Going south meaning the money is disappearing the company is failing.

I don't know why it's south.
But I do know it gets cold up north.

Last edited:
yah but it's warm in the south and they have drinks with little party colored umbrellas.

Which expression about heading south beings up yet another interesting problem.
Why South?
Why not North? Why any compass direction?
Is it rooted in the bigotry of the conquerors?
South?

In the UK they say going west when they want to say something is going all to pieces. At least they used to.
The American colonies are west of the UK. Related?

I could be unrelated to any wars or northern bigotry, but solely derived from economic charts and business. Going south meaning the money is disappearing the company is failing.

I don't know why it's south.
But I do know it gets cold up north.

"Going south" has a direct meaning in poker and refers to a winning player cashing in his chips and then buying back in with his original stake putting the winnings in his pocket. The result is to take potential winnings for the other players off the table thus denying them the opportunity to win their money back.

The other derivation has to do business deals going bad (a/k/a "down" syn. "south") especially when insiders siphon off money or divert the business away from its established plan for their own gain or purpose.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
yet another thread heads south off topic

If it wasn't off topic before, it is now. :rolleyes: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This is the way that Internet discussion forums work: you give life to a new thread, but after that it has a life of its own as the discussion takes twists and turns that can gradually drift into related topics.

Fortunately, there is no rule about staying on topic and I can't imagine how something like that would work anyway. Furthermore, it would be difficult to have a discussion about any aspect of woodturning without mentioning other parts of woodturning ... tools always seem to be a favorite side subject in many threads.

Getting back to boring: I have the Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar rig for turning deep hollowforms ... oops, wrong boring. Naw, I'm not bored by turning despite the fact that I bore while turning. Dang, I can't get away from mentioning tools.

Last edited:
If it wasn't off topic before, it is now. :rolleyes: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This is the way that Internet discussion forums work: you give life to a new thread, but after that it has a life of its own as the discussion takes twists and turns that can gradually drift into related topics.

Fortunately, there is no rule about staying on topic and I can't imagine how something like that would work anyway. Furthermore, it would be difficult to have a discussion about any aspect of woodturning with mentioning other parts of woodturning ... tools always seem to be a favorite side subject in many threads.

Getting back to boring: I have the Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar rig for turning deep hollowforms ... oops, wrong boring. Naw, I'm not bored by turning despite the fact that I bore while turning. Dang, I can't get away from mentioning tools.

And, after all, it's the wood that gets "bored", eh?

"So what'd you do in the shop today, Honey?"

"Oh, a lot of boring stuff."

"Sorry to hear that. I thought you liked woodworking."

"Oh, I love it. Had a blast today."

"Um, you're not the man I married . . ."

Bored, not very often. I retired from my job as a physician 7/13 and now devote 20-40 hours a week to turning. I have lots of wood that I need to process and many roughouts, so there is always something to do. I only do 2-3 shows a year and I am in a few Galleries so there is an outlet for my work. The only part about this I don't like is the pressure to have my best work available for the shows. This, along with getting everything ready for the display, can consume me if I let it. It is then that I can get tired of turning. I think it is more fatigue rather than boredom. I still get inspired especially by viewing other turnings. The Instant Gallery at the AAW Symposium this year was fantastic. Now I am back to doing what I like which is artistic turning especially wall hangings. Someone asked me if turning was what I do for relaxation. My immediate answer was "no, this is what I do for excitement".

I would absolutely love to have the luxury of being bored with turning...

Right now I'd give my eye teeth to be bored with turning. We sold off our home in the 'burbs in July to move north. Closed the shop down in early June and moved all the equipment to storage until the new shop is built. Now, with geo-engineers determining if we can build where we want, tree removal permits in progress to down a few firs, cedars and alders that are in the way, and plans being drawn up for the building, it's looking like another 6 months before I can get back in the shop. It seemed a lot easier in the planning process, but living on a small, relatively remote Island, while rewarding, has its drawbacks.

In the meantime, I lurk on the forums and wish I could figure out a way to get some turning in. There are no turners out here (that I've found), so I can't even beg a little lathe time...thinking about getting a mini-lathe to pass the time. I was able to throw myself over a few blanks before the guys from my old club came in and reduced the inventory to a manageable level for moving, and there's always the hardware for bottle stoppers that I could play with.

Today I start the battle for the tree removal permits so the arborist can get started. Wish me luck; maybe in about 6 more months I'll have the luxury of getting bored with turning...

Jeff,

so is Bellingham on the island or is it on mainland??????????

do you have or have access a boat???

are you a seahawks fan?????

I do not see any roads on island.....do you have 4 wheel drive or a mule??????

share your adventures......

I guess this post has gone south or is that northwest??????

is Bellingham on the island or is it on mainland??????????
Hi Charlie:
Bellingham is on the mainland. Lummi Island is accessed via a very small, 20 car, open ferry. The ferry runs daily, every half hour for most of the day. Depending on the weather, the crossing can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes. Our house is perched about 80 feet up from the beach and looks directly across Hale passage into Bellingham Bay.

do you have or have access a boat???
I do have a small boat; couldn't live this close to the water without one and not go insane.

are you a seahawks fan?????
It is pretty much impossible to live in the Northwest and not support the Hawks...

I do not see any roads on island.....do you have 4 wheel drive or a mule??????

share your adventures......

I guess this post has gone south or is that northwest??????

There are roads - the island is about 8 miles long, population of about 900. The South end is a mountain, the north end is mostly flat. We live on the south end - just about where the roads stop, 2/3 of the way down the island. There's an active arts community out here - regular studio tours a few times a year. The island has only three commercial operations - a small convenience store near the ferry dock, a great little cafe nearby and a restaurant (the Willows Inn) that's been in the NY Times best list on several occasions and a young chef that routinely gets the James Beard award. I can afford the cafe, the Willows Inn has a waiting list several months long (although my wife somehow got us a reservation for our anniversary on three days notice). It's very rural, but not that far removed from civilization.

Bellingham has several active turners and the Northwest Washington Woodturners (AAW Affiliate) has their meetings about an hour south of there. Just haven't been able to hit a meeting yet.

The main problem is getting things done - it's very laid-back here. The other consideration is that this is part of the San Juan Island historic area. They're very careful about building and seriously adverse to development (that's a good thing). The shop will go in next to the house overlooking a wooded ravine with a small creek flowing down to the sound. That means we're hitting the construction trifecta - need to remove a few trees (1), building close to a slope (2) that leads to flowing water (3). There's no end to the requirements that need to be satisfied before the county will allow construction to start, and it is difficult to get the administrators to return a phone call. I've got an architect working on the plans, a geo-engineer has weighed in on the slope stability and an arborist has been planning on tree removal. I just need to get the approvals going. The 20 page geo-engineer's report also needs to be peer-reviewed by three other engineers....seems there's a new requirement added daily.

Jeff.....thanks for lhe info......we will try to live thru your adventures

are you living on the island now or do you commute........if commute, will you move in with just the outside built and do the inside as you go.........I spent a summer on the eastern shore of Maryland......largest closest town was Easton........we really had a good time......unfinished interior but it was fine for us.......we did do some work on sort of causeway for the duckblind ......we were on the bay, in the boonnies, tried to find it on map, did find Easton......enjoy, and update us as time passes

Back