• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

More Pearl Ex Coloring on Bowl

This was a piece of box elder that I dyed and didn't come out as planed. I sprayed it all black with auto primer and applied various colores using crumpled up Saran Wrap. I dry brushed the Pearl Ex into the Saran Wrap and stamped it onto the exterior of the bowl using a twisting motion. Then I dry brushed strips across the exterior. The checkered look was done by stretching a mesh Landry bag over the bowl and spraying the exterior with candy apple purple lacquer. The interior received a couple coats of clear gloss lacquer and then I dragged a feather loaded with various metallic powders across the surface. Varying the position of the feather produced a variety of strokes with little effort. I know the inside really doesn't go with the exterior, but with another coat of black paint I can start over again.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I really like the results on the exterior. I think that your willingness to experiment with different ideas has paid off. The interior is a bit too dark to see the results, but your description has intrigued me. I have some Inlace metallic dust and have tried to evenly apply it to a surface with unsatisfactory results. Maybe I'll try your technique.

I also occasionally do some experimenting if I turn something that I don't like.

Back