• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Danny Hallum

while there may not be an "axis of evil" in mathematics, I posit that differential equations and thermodynamics are as close to it as they can get.

I would definitely agree -- those are among the factors that converted me from a planned astronomy/physics major as an undergrad to a Latin/Greek/Classical Studies major.

while there may not be an "axis of evil" in mathematics, I posit that differential equations and thermodynamics are as close to it as they can get.

You're just saying that the thermosciences leave you cold?

And I suppose you found your limit in your interest in math?

Sorry, I can't help myself.

Well, I did go ahead and sign up for a class. It pinched my heart a bit to do it, as the money for it came out of what I've been saving for a new lathe, but I'm really looking forward to it. The instructor it Clint Stevens, in case anyone knows him. Class starts on Wednesday and goes for nine weeks. (And, Odie, I'll be on guard to try not to let anything I'm taught cloud my vision of alternative horizons, but it sure will be nice to have some 1-on-1 help with mastering the skew and some intro to bowl work!)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Well, I did go ahead and sign up for a class. It pinched my heart a bit to do it, as the money for it came out of what I've been saving for a new lathe, but I'm really looking forward to it. The instructor it Clint Stevens, in case anyone knows him. Class starts on Wednesday and goes for nine weeks. (And, Odie, I'll be on guard to try not to let anything I'm taught cloud my vision of alternative horizons, but it sure will be nice to have some 1-on-1 help with mastering the skew and some intro to bowl work!)

Go for it, Danny......!

....and, good luck to you....:D

ko

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Clint is a retired engineer originally from Wyoming and appears to be a really great guy who will make your learning experience very enjoyable. Here is one bit of information that will give yoou an introduction: Clint Stevens Information

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Danny,

If my experience is any indication, you'll be very glad to have taken the class. As you get more experienced, you can decide what you want to keep and what to discard as part of your "process". For me, the class taught some basics that I couldn't have gotten any other way.

I plan on taking more in the future (and hopefully with Steven Kennard later this year).

I have a background in oil painting and took lots of instruction. And it was having that instruction and the tools from that knowledge that helped me decide what was valid for me and what wasn't. I think that this is partly what Odie talks about when he refers to the herd. You can take the instruction but it doesn't (or shouldn't) have to become dogma.

By the way, I see you're in Chicago. Love that city! I lived there back in the 70s and then moved to Oconomowoc, Wi for a while. Been back every couple years to watch the Saints play the Bears.

Good luck and happy turning!

Mark

Thanks for the info and the well-wishing, everyone! I haven't looked forward to anything this much in a long time. It reminds me of waiting for Christmas when I was a kid!

-Danny

Clint is a retired engineer originally from Wyoming and appears to be a really great guy who will make your learning experience very enjoyable. Here is one bit of information that will give yoou an introduction: Clint Stevens Information
Thanks. I checked out that link. I just got back from the first class. It was so much fun! It's the best money I ever spent. There are only two other students, and Clint is super nice and interested in taking a personal tack with each of us, finding out what we want out of the class and really targeting that. I told him I wanted some help with beading with a skew, so he and I worked on that. I made huge progress with his help in just this one evening. I am SO glad I signed up for this, and I wouldn't have done it without the encouragement I got on this forum.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE! (And that goes not a bit less to those who offered the counterpoint arguments, which I also take to heart.)

-Danny

you hit the jackpot!

Thanks. I checked out that link. I just got back from the first class. It was so much fun! It's the best money I ever spent. There are only two other students, and Clint is super nice and interested in taking a personal tack with each of us, finding out what we want out of the class and really targeting that. I told him I wanted some help with beading with a skew, so he and I worked on that. I made huge progress with his help in just this one evening. I am SO glad I signed up for this, and I wouldn't have done it without the encouragement I got on this forum.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE! (And that goes not a bit less to those who offered the counterpoint arguments, which I also take to heart.)

-Danny

Danny,

A three person class with a master turner is hitting the jackpot. You will learn an incredible amount before the class is over!

Hu

Back