• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this a $25 bowl?

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I'm going to the symposium and plan on donating a couple of bowls and have done two beads of courage boxes also. So my question is, never having sold a piece of work, is this bowl good enough for the Empty Bowls donation? It's about 12" diameter madrone burl, Beall buffed and shellac finish.

I'm wanting to donate two so I'd appreciate comments or suggestions, etc.

Also as an aside, I've invested in a set of softbox lights and a white backdrop. I'm using a Casio Exilim camera with a manual white balance but it's a point and shoot thing and I have to go set the manual white balance every time. Plus, it really doesn't seem to be doing a great job (actually it's the operator :).

So if anyone can help recommend how to improve the color balance and other aspects of my photos? I'm clearly no photographer and have been studying but I'm pretty sure that I'm a slow learner. :)

I'd be happy to buy a reasonable single purpose camera to put on my tripod for this, so don't need a bunch of bells and whistles. And money is always an issue too but I'd consider it an investment in my learning. So thanks all! (and a special appeal to you, John Lucas!)

Thanks,

Markmadrone-03.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I would charge $50 at least. Depends on the market...

robo hippy

Thanks Robo. I'm donating it to the empty bowls thing at the symposium. All the bowls are $25 and the proceeds go to a local charity. But it's good to know that my work is becoming marketable. Thanks!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It is an excellent bowl and easily worth that much. As far as the photography goes talk to me by e-mail and i'll try to straighten things out. Looks kind of like you have one of those photo tents with 2 lights, one on each side. Not the best way to shoot turnings in my opinion but we can work with it and probably improve your photos.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
It is an excellent bowl and easily worth that much. As far as the photography goes talk to me by e-mail and i'll try to straighten things out. Looks kind of like you have one of those photo tents with 2 lights, one on each side. Not the best way to shoot turnings in my opinion but we can work with it and probably improve your photos.

Thanks John. I'll email you a photo of my setup. It's not a tent. I bought a heavy matte vinyl backdrop and two of those big (18 x 24) softbox lights.

I really appreciate it!

Mark

If the Empty Bowls fundraiser in your area is run like the one here in Houston - they will have "bump" bowls. Bowls of various medium that are deemed to be "more valuable" than the $25 bowls.

I went to Empty Bowls (Houston) this past weekend. Our club made and donated right around 200 wooden bowls. Most were 6" diameter or less. There were even a few around 3" diameter. There were many hundreds more bowls made of other materials. The wooden bowls sold out early.

to summarize - I would expect that bowl to sell at Empty Bowls for more than $25 (I paid $75 for a smaller wooden bowl) - and they will be happy to have just about anything you give them...just make sure it's a completed piece.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks Shawn.

You're right. I don't want to submit anything that I don't feel is the best I'm able to do at this time. Hope it sells!

Mar

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The bowl is excellent and somebody will be proud to take it home.

Every Empty Bowls event operates differently. Dallas and Fort Worth each have their own, but I am only familiar with the way that the one in Fort Worth operates. There is a basic admission fee of about $50 and increasing levels up to around $1500 or more for patrons (sort of like PBS) and it runs for 2 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] hours. A large number of local restaurants have booths and serve free samplings of their specialties in soup, bread, deserts, and other tasty fare. Before leaving, attendees get to choose a bowl from a selection of more than two thousand pottery, ceramic, glass, and wooden bowls to take home as a thank you gift (again, sort of like PBS). The wooden bowls are less than ten percent of the total number. There are also a couple "bump" areas where for an extra donation to the food bank, there is a choice of "better" bowls. There are also gallery quality pieces and an auction of "signature" pieces. The basic bowls vary in size and many people select bowls that are very small. Your bowl might qualify for a bump-up depending on how that particular event is operated.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks Shawn. You're right. I don't want to submit anything that I don't feel is the best I'm able to do at this time. Hope it sells! Mar

Mark,
I guarantee your bowl will sell. I will buy it if I see it there.
The point is about half the bowls are bought by friends of the makers.

Most wood turners end up building a collection of woodturnings by people other than themselves.
Trading pieces with other turners is a common practice. Giving a turning to a host is common.

Empty bowls is a place to add a few. The AAW auctions are a place.

Have fun,
Al

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark,
I guarantee your bowl will sell. I will buy it if I see it there.
The point is about half the bowls are bought by friends of the makers.

Most wood turners end up building a collection of woodturnings by people other than themselves.
Trading pieces with other turners is a common practice. Giving a turning to a host is common.

Empty bowls is a place to add a few. The AAW auctions are a place.

Have fun,
Al

Al, I consider that very high praise indeed! Many thanks. Hope I see you there.

Mark

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
The bowl is excellent and somebody will be proud to take it home.

Every Empty Bowls event operates differently. Dallas and Fort Worth each have their own, but I am only familiar with the way that the one in Fort Worth operates. There is a basic admission fee of about $50 and increasing levels up to around $1500 or more for patrons (sort of like PBS) and it runs for 2 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] hours. A large number of local restaurants have booths and serve free samplings of their specialties in soup, bread, deserts, and other tasty fare. Before leaving, attendees get to choose a bowl from a selection of more than two thousand pottery, ceramic, glass, and wooden bowls to take home as a thank you gift (again, sort of like PBS). The wooden bowls are less than ten percent of the total number. There are also a couple "bump" areas where for an extra donation to the food bank, there is a choice of "better" bowls. There are also gallery quality pieces and an auction of "signature" pieces. The basic bowls vary in size and many people select bowls that are very small. Your bowl might qualify for a bump-up depending on how that particular event is operated.

Thanks Bill. I plan on buying a couple while there too. The one you're talking about, is that the SWAT symposium? I've heard a lot of great things about it and want to go when I get the chance.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks Bill. I plan on buying a couple while there too. The one you're talking about, is that the SWAT symposium? I've heard a lot of great things about it and want to go when I get the chance.

The one that I was talking about is the local Tarrant Area Food Bank event held in Fort Worth every year in February. Our club actively promotes supporting this event by encouraging members to turn in bowls at monthly club meetings. There are some incentives like drawings for prizes to help get folks off dead center. Last time, our club donated a couple hundred bowls, but given the size of the club, we could do far better than that.

People do not buy the bowls at our local event. They are given away as "thank you" gifts except for the bump-up and auction items. There is now the option to buy an extra bowl (my wife liked one of my bowls, so we bought it in addition to the other two that we selected). My wife challenges me to tell her who turned a bowl before she turns it over to check the name and probably nine times out of ten I am right.

I don't think that SWAT is involved in Empty Bowls because most of the larger clubs that sponsor the symposium already have their own local food banks that they are supporting. Instead, SWAT adopted Beads of Courage several years ago as its charitable focus point.

Are you planning to attend SWAT? If so, I hope to meet you there.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
The one that I was talking about is the local Tarrant Area Food Bank event held in Fort Worth every year in February. Our club actively promotes supporting this event by encouraging members to turn in bowls at monthly club meetings. There are some incentives like drawings for prizes to help get folks off dead center. Last time, our club donated a couple hundred bowls, but given the size of the club, we could do far better than that.

People do not buy the bowls at our local event. They are given away as "thank you" gifts except for the bump-up and auction items. There is now the option to buy an extra bowl (my wife liked one of my bowls, so we bought it in addition to the other two that we selected). My wife challenges me to tell her who turned a bowl before she turns it over to check the name and probably nine times out of ten I am right.

I don't think that SWAT is involved in Empty Bowls because most of the larger clubs that sponsor the symposium already have their own local food banks that they are supporting. Instead, SWAT adopted Beads of Courage several years ago as its charitable focus point.

Are you planning to attend SWAT? If so, I hope to meet you there.

Bill, I'd like to go and I keep hearing about how good it is. It's close also and I have friends in Grapevine so I could visit also. I'd also like to meet you (and to thank you personally for your kind assistance and encouragement the past year or so).

I think the Beads of Courage is a really wonderful way to give back. I also did a couple of Beads of Courage bowls and plan to do more as time permits. I visited St. Jude as part of a company benefit this past February and was really moved by the experience (we did a cookout for the kids and staff of St. Jude and it was held at Ronald McDonald house). It's hard to imagine someone going there and coming away unaffected.

Anyway, </end_soapbox>.

:D

John Ellis

Board Member
Al, you'll not get a chance to buy it if I get there first! Nice work, Mark. Way more than sufficient for the Empty Bowls donation. I buy some bowls every year, sometimes because I like the bowl, and sometimes because I like the turner. In this case I like both!!!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Al, you'll not get a chance to buy it if I get there first! Nice work, Mark. Way more than sufficient for the Empty Bowls donation. I buy some bowls every year, sometimes because I like the bowl, and sometimes because I like the turner. In this case I like both!!!

Thanks John; you're too kind. I'll see you Thursday the 25th in Pittsburgh!

Mark

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I agree with Robo. Easily a $50.00 bowl.
Great cause too!!!

Thanks Pete!

I hope they feel that way at the symposium. It is a great cause. I also did a couple of Beads of Courage bowls and going to try to get one more Empty Bowl done before this coming week.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Put your best work forward and donate. These are worthy and the fact you ask it shows that. Many donate the bottom of their pile and that shouldn't be how it is. Come see us at our booth (table top) and remind me (I am horrible with names) and I will set you up with some great deals on abrasives so you can make more bowls to donate to other Empty Bowls causes.
I am a big believer in woodturners paying it forward or doing what they can to help those who can't yet help themselves.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Put your best work forward and donate. These are worthy and the fact you ask it shows that. Many donate the bottom of their pile and that shouldn't be how it is. Come see us at our booth (table top) and remind me (I am horrible with names) and I will set you up with some great deals on abrasives so you can make more bowls to donate to other Empty Bowls causes.
I am a big believer in woodturners paying it forward or doing what they can to help those who can't yet help themselves.

Thanks Steve! For both your kind words and the offer. I don't really have a "pile". I'm making the bowls for the event and hopefully will be able to do another this weekend.

I'll find you and see you there. Looking forward to it.

Mark

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I know what you mean. In my case, I've been lucky lately but for a long several months just had no time at all.

I have not been able to turn anything in months and I am getting anxious about making at least one BOC box, not to mention that I am committed to do a bowl a month for our local Empty Bowls Project.

Wondering how you turned outside with the storm!!!!, Are there other reasons for not turning???? Gretch

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have not been able to turn anything in months and I am getting anxious about making at least one BOC box,

Wondering how you turned outside with the storm!!!!, Are there other reasons for not turning???? Gretch

Gretch.......Bill is just thinking outside of the box!

Heh,heh,heh:)

Mark, that's a beautiful bowl. Very interesting wood and I like how it's lifted by the foot. No need to be concerned. I haven't turned too many bowls yet and mine is a far more modest offering. My wife likes it so if no one else buys it I will. :)

Doug

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark, that's a beautiful bowl. Very interesting wood and I like how it's lifted by the foot. No need to be concerned. I haven't turned too many bowls yet and mine is a far more modest offering. My wife likes it so if no one else buys it I will. :)

Doug

Hey Doug, thank you!

I'll be there too so I'll buy your bowl (and I'm sure your bowl is far better than you believe :)

By the way, I downloaded the guide app on my phone and sent you a card with my number on it. Hope we run into one another while there.

Mark

Back