• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need Your Input on a New Lathe

After many years of turning and learning on a small but effective NOVA lathe. I am ready to step up my game and purchase a more "robust" lathe. No pun intended. I welcome your feedback and recommendations on larger lathes. I have not been successful in finding a head to head comprehensive comparison of major large lathes. The lathes that come to mind are Oneway, Robust, Powermatic, and Vicmarc but I am open to consider others.

Website
woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com
Lathe

Hey Tony. I have a Oneway which I just love but I'm certain if you can manage any of the listed you will be most pleased. It's usually about the $$$. If I could do it over again and of course if cost was not an object I would probably buy a Robust with SS ways. Good luck with your choice.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Save Your Money

Yes there is a limit to everything. I will say i love turning and this will be the last lathe I will want to buy.

If you think this is the last lathe you will buy, then save your money until you can by one of the top end lathes on the market - Oneway, Robust, Powermatic, etc. I am on the second of almost everything in my shop - drill press, bandsaw, etc. - because I bought cheap the first time around. Was not satisfied with the performance of cheap and eventually upgraded to top of the line. So, saving your money until you can buy one of the top end lathes may turn out to be the cheapest path in the long run. - John

PS - Don't skimp on horsepower. You can't cost effectively add it later. - J

Last edited:
John, You have the likely suspects listed but I'd add another one to your list with Serious Tool Works.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
when you look at the price tag of the 5 listed you will quickly eliminate one end or the other. Also remember it's sometimes the little things that make a difference. For example bigger lathes have bigger tailstocks. If you not willing to lift that much and your turning requires that you remove it a lot then weight or if it will take a swing away tailstock system become important. I say that because my Powermatic 3520A tailstock weighs 57lbs and it's one of the light ones. The Serious lathe and Powermatic 2435 have really heavy tailstocks. Oneway and Robust are inbetween I think although Robust has the nicest tailstock swing away of anyone.
Good luck on your search and keep us posted on what you pick and why. I may or may not upgrade someday. I love my Powermatic 3520 and think it does all I need. There are some nits about it that bug me from time to time and the time I spent on a Robust made me really appreciate that machine. However it's a whole lot more money and will take a windfall of some sort for me to go that route. But then I'm always on a budget.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Tony,

I have a ONEWAY 2436 with an outboard table. My wife has a ONEWAY 2416 with the 17" bed in the outboard.

I would suggest looking long and hard at the ONEWAY machines and the Robust American beauty.
Each of them have so many options it borders on buying a new car.
For example the AB has a standard 28" and 52" between center options and the tilt away gives about a 6" bed extension.
ONEWAY has 16" and 36" between center option and a 17" bed extension.
If you turn a lot of 36" spindles it could weight your decision. Both companies can set you up with really long beds for columns.

One of the most flexible setups is the Oneway 2416. With 17" extension if you rarely ever turn anything long.
The bed extension can be bolted into the inboard side giving you a long bet but it is' something you want to do often.
This set up has between centers on one side short bed in the other side.
You can hand hollow over either side.

You will rarely find an unhappy ONEWAY or Robust owner.

I have gotten to do quite a few demos on the American beauty. It is a great Machine in all respects.
I like the ONEWAY better, especially the banjo.

Al

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Tony,

Go to the AAW symposium. You can see all the lathes up close, maybe even turn on them or a least stand next to someone who is.
ONEWAY, Robust, Powermatic, will be there for sure.
There is often a Vicmarc and other machines too.

Your opinion is the most important to you.
Maybe people in your club have machines that interest you and would let you turn a bowl on it.

Al

lifetime lathe

When you consider a lifetime lathe, I think you have to consider a lathe you can work off the end of. Bending and twisting doesn't get easier with age! This Griz might be worth considering. The biggest difference in price with Grizzly is that a few middlemen are cut out. Also, in the past Jet did a better job of applying auto body filler and paint on the outside of their lathes. I wasn't thrilled when my Jet 14x40 metal lathe had the paint on the headstock start cracking to reveal a large area of bondo.

Anyway, one more I think deserves consideration is the Grizzly G0766. Not available until April so a lot of the performance expectations are based on the service people get from the very similar G0733. Grizzly also makes one heavier lathe with a stationary headstock but as mentioned above flexibility of the machine may become very important as we become less flexible. Price on this machine is very low looking at the specs. If you decide it isn't your lifetime machine it would be a fine second machine in your shop or hard to picture losing much money on resell.

I have to admit that if I had the cash to buy the American Beauty decked out the way I would like it to be then it would be the only lathe I would consider. If money were no object I think it is the clear choice. I prefer the endless adjustment of the moving headstock and having looked over the Robust site and been inside a Jet metal lathe built by the same people as the Powermatic I don't think build quality is in the same ball park. Either machine seems to be overbuilt for well over 90% of what we do with them but I think the American Beauty is more robust in more meanings than one!

The Grizzly I suggest considering is made by the same people as the Powermatic and Jet so everything said about those two, good and bad, applies to the Griz.

Hu

http://grizzly9-px.rtrk.ca/catalog/2015/main/146?p=146

The biggest difference between the Oneway and the Robust is the sliding headstock on the Robust. Well, the Robust is made in the USA. I have a Beauty, and love it. It is more than I need for 98% of what I do, but I have the extra if I need it. I selected the Robust because of the sliding headstock, which adds versatility to the lathe that a fixed headstock just does not have. Some say a sliding headstock vibrates more than a fixed headstock, but I don't know.

robo hippy

Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
Top End Lathes

Tony -- All of the aforementioned five lathes, Powermatic, Robust, One Way, Vicmarc and Serious, are definitely five the very best made lathes available. I know owners of most all of these lathes and they are completely satisfied. I have a Vicmarc VL300 short bed and couldn't be happier. However, there is one more lathe that I believe measures up to this group that could be added and yet it is a lathe that no one ever seems to talk about on these forums? It is the Woodtec #1 lathe. A friend in our Minnesota club has one and it is indeed built like a battleship, with all the same, up to date features of the big five manufacturers. I have turned on it and am in awe of it's cast iron heft, HP, torque, quiet operation, variable speed, control convenience, etc. etc. I think it is well worth checking out as well. Here is the link: http://woodworker.com/no-1-wood-lathe-mssu-961-990.asp

I think the advice given earlier, to try to turn on as many of these selected lathes as possible, to determine your comfort level and preference before you choose one, is definitely the way to go. The advantage of belonging to an AAW chapter club offers this opportunity. In our MN club, we have owners of all the high end lathes, that have volunteered to let other members looking to buy a new lathe, try them out for a extended session to determine their likes & dislikes. You can't get that at a dealership or even at a symposium.

Lee Tourtelotte

Robust

Happy turning
Tom

If you think this is the last lathe you will buy, then save your money until you can by one of the top end lathes on the market - Oneway, Robust, Powermatic, etc. I am on the second of almost everything in my shop - drill press, bandsaw, etc. - because I bought cheap the first time around. Was not satisfied with the performance of cheap and eventually upgraded to top of the line. So, saving your money until you can buy one of the top end lathes may turn out to be the cheapest path in the long run. - John

PS - Don't skimp on horsepower. You can't cost effectively add it later. - J

What HP do you recommend?

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Tony,

I'm a new turner here (less than two years) so take that for what it's worth. But you've heard a LOT of recommendations for the Oneway and Robust and they are very nice machines. I've turned on both and personally think that it's like the BMW or Mercedes debate. Which of the finest machines made suits you.

I have a Jet 1642 and a VB36. The only thing that keeps me from recommending the VB is that it is a bit different, and even though you can get a long bed form it's really a bowl lathe at heart. And for me, the very best lathe in the world. I love it. I'll say this also about the VB: Greg Jensen is a great guy to deal with and you can't get more personal attention and help than from him as far as I am concerned. But the Jet, even as a midrange machine, is very good and I would put it up against many, many other machines.

Al had some very good advice - go to the symposium and you'll see the product and probably be able to drive them. Brent English over at Robust will likely be there and he is very easy to talk to.

Anyway, that's, my .02 but really Al's advice is the way I would go.

Mark

Robust American Beauty with 3 hp motor and tilt away tailstock.The legs are nice in the fact that you can adjust the height that suits you.The mobility kit is also a nice accessory.I can install the castors and move the lathe anywhere in my shop in a matter of minutes.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Robust American Beauty with 3 hp motor and tilt away tailstock.The legs are nice in the fact that you can adjust the height that suits you.The mobility kit is also a nice accessory.I can install the castors and move the lathe anywhere in my shop in a matter of minutes.

Guy makes a good point.

If you want to change the heights of your lathe to accommodate different turners, the Robust has a huge advantage.
It is so easy you would probably do it.
The height change on the Robust is five minutes or less with a hydraulic jack.
It takes about 30 minutes to change height on the ONEWAY. 6 bolts on each end and you have to drop the controller box.

Wheel sets are a nice option. Which most lathes have.
The wheel set on the ONEWAY is the best I have seen. on and off in less than a minute.
These wheels have tires, more ground clearance, negotiate sills easier, and go up steeper ramps than any other wheel set.
Also has a handle on the tailstock wheel.

pete marken

Artist
I have a Stubby 750 and love it. Check out the web site. Had this lathe for 14 years and never had a problem with it. The Stubby 1000 has more swing capability. It is basically a short bed lathe which allows you to work directly in front of the turning but the bed can be extended if needed. Very heavy over 600 lb. Also check John Jordan's web site.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Guy makes a good point.

If you want to change the heights of your lathe to accommodate different turners, the Robust has a huge advantage.
It is so easy you would probably do it.
The height change on the Robust is five minutes or less with a hydraulic jack.
It takes about 30 minutes to change height on the ONEWAY. 6 bolts on each end and you have to drop the controller box.

Wheel sets are a nice option. Which most lathes have.
The wheel set on the ONEWAY is the best I have seen. on and off in less than a minute.
These wheels have tires, more ground clearance, negotiate sills easier, and go up steeper ramps than any other wheel set.
Also has a handle on the tailstock wheel.

The tow bar sounds like a nice feature. I modified the wheel set on my lathe by changing to a hydraulic jack. I can put wheels on or take them off in in less than thirty seconds although I don't normally go for an Indy 500 tire change. All four wheels swivel so that can mean that on a sideways slope keeping it pointed in the right direction can be more "interesting". I don't have that problem since the only ramp that I have to negotiate is in and out of the garage. Everything else is level. The plus side of having all four wheels swivel is it is easier to move it sideways.

One other feature of the height adjustment of the ROBUST is that the legs can accommodate a floor that is neither level nor flat yet still have the bed of the lathe level and all four feet solidly planted on the floor.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've always wondered about the Woodtec lathe. The seem really nice. I am on at least 5 forums and subscribe to many magazines. This is the first time I've ever heard someone mention actually owning one. Interesting. I always wondered why. Maybe those people who own them don't participate in Forums.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Excellent point, John. I've run into a lot of very good Woodturners whose names I didn't recognize. And that's because they don't visit internet forums; they're too busy turning wood!

When you consider a lifetime lathe, I think you have to consider a lathe you can work off the end of. Bending and twisting doesn't get easier with age! This Griz might be worth considering. The biggest difference in price with Grizzly is that a few middlemen are cut out. Also, in the past Jet did a better job of applying auto body filler and paint on the outside of their lathes. I wasn't thrilled when my Jet 14x40 metal lathe had the paint on the headstock start cracking to reveal a large area of bondo.

Anyway, one more I think deserves consideration is the Grizzly G0766. Not available until April so a lot of the performance expectations are based on the service people get from the very similar G0733. Grizzly also makes one heavier lathe with a stationary headstock but as mentioned above flexibility of the machine may become very important as we become less flexible. Price on this machine is very low looking at the specs. If you decide it isn't your lifetime machine it would be a fine second machine in your shop or hard to picture losing much money on resell.

I have to admit that if I had the cash to buy the American Beauty decked out the way I would like it to be then it would be the only lathe I would consider. If money were no object I think it is the clear choice. I prefer the endless adjustment of the moving headstock and having looked over the Robust site and been inside a Jet metal lathe built by the same people as the Powermatic I don't think build quality is in the same ball park. Either machine seems to be overbuilt for well over 90% of what we do with them but I think the American Beauty is more robust in more meanings than one!

The Grizzly I suggest considering is made by the same people as the Powermatic and Jet so everything said about those two, good and bad, applies to the Griz.

Hu

http://grizzly9-px.rtrk.ca/catalog/2015/main/146?p=146

I'm getting a kick out of the excitement about that G0766 lathe. Unseen, untested, and no one really knows what hp the motor is. Catalog specs just tells you what circuit size to have in the shop. Now they are telling folks to wait until mid July due to delays. That's 7 months after some people ordered it. Waiting that long for a premium machine from a small company to ship is one thing, but for a mass produced one seems different to me. I'd be careful to direct people to it until we see when they really ship and what people think of it. But it's no secret I hate Grizzly either. In 40+ years of woodworking, they were the first company to send me a machine that was unusable out of the box.

Last edited:
Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
Woodtek #1 Lathe

I've always wondered about the Woodtec lathe. The seem really nice. I am on at least 5 forums and subscribe to many magazines. This is the first time I've ever heard someone mention actually owning one. Interesting. I always wondered why. Maybe those people who own them don't participate in Forums.

Greetings John -- The Woodtek#1 lathe that I referenced in my post belongs to George Wurtzel. You have met George, he & I were in one of your hands on classes when you gave us your great demo to our Minnesota club last year. You will recall that George is totally blind, but that has not in any way hindered his exceptional woodworking and woodturning skills, his appreciation and understanding of fine machinery and his daily zest for life. George's website: www.GMWurtzel.com

The next time you might be passing through Minneapolis, and possibly have some layover time, give me a call at 612-670-1874. I live close to the airport and could promptly pick you up and we could run down to George's shop & you could personally check out & turn on George's Woodtek #1! George will give you the full demo of his Woodtek #1. However, this invite would need to be after Memorial Day, as George is presently in San Francisco, having taken on the full responsibility of renovating three floors of a major office building on Market Street. About two weeks ago, George bought himself his first truck, loaded all his major power tools, including his Vicmarc VL300 -- (his Woodtek #1 lathe being just too massive to bring to CA) -- and he headed west with his friend Sam, the truck driver -- (George has not quite yet mastered freeway driving!)

Watching your Tennessee ice storm & hoping your place doesn't have any damage.

Best Regards,

Lee Tourtelotte

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
George was a heck of a lot of fun. If I remember correctly Woodtec had that lathe at one AAW symposium. It's easy to remember because of the color. Don't know if I'll get up that way anytime soon. Got way to many things to do around here.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Joe since you have both Oneway and Robust can you give us a brief comparison. What you like or don't like about each lathe. I realize it would be a lot of personal opinion about 2 lathes of such high quality. Most of us would drool to own either one and be happy with our choice but I know there are always little things that we would change. For example I like the newer Powermatic 3520B better than my A. I like the flat headstock to lay things on. Mine is slightly crowned. That can easily be overcome by adding a flat piece of wood I just haven't done it. I think the tool post lock can be better. I'm pretty happy with the banjo lock even though I hear complaints about it. I would love the tailstock lock to have a neutral position for installing the tailstock. You have to try and hold the handle vertical when inserting that very heavy tailstock which can be tricky. If you crank the quill feed all the way back it kind of locks up and you have to hit the handle pretty hard to break it free. These are all little things and I love the lathe and would highly recommend it to people looking for a tool in that price range.

John, I have a Oneway 2436 and the 1224 and the Robust Liberty. My favorite is the 1224. I probably do 90% of my turning on it. The 2436 is for big turnings, which I don't do as much as I used to do. The Oneways are built like tanks, which considering the costs, they should be. The Oneway switches seem to go out after about 10 years. I had to rig an overhead hoist to remove the tailstock on the 2436. I'm to old to easily handle it now. The Oneway banjo is the best that I have ever used. Mike Stafford talked me into buying the Robust Liberty at the 2011 NC symposium. He was assisted by Brent. I didn't really like the banjo on the Liberty, actually it was the toolrest locking setup that I disliked. I had to fiddle with it too much when I removed the toolrest. The Robust toolrests are the best. In fact I have them on all my lathes. As someone said earlier, it's a snap to adjust the height. The sliding headstock and the tilt away are great. I hae not been able to turn on the Liberty as much as I would like, because my girlfriend took it for her own. In fact, she had hers delivered last Friday and I spent the afternoon setting it up in her shop. Grilfriends who are turners are the bomb. Most of the things I don't like are just nit-picking. I would buy either lathe again. As for Tony, turn on as many different lathes as possible. When all is said and done, it's your money and you will be the one using it.
Joe

For the record the vicmarcs also have adjustable legs. I agree with what Joe said and turn on as many of the lathes, you are considering, as possible. If you are a hobby turner and don't often get into anything to big and serious then the 3520B would work just fine and it leaves a lot of money for the real toys - I mean tools. I personally am not a fan of sliding head stocks but many have them and seem OK with them. Anytime you having a moving part especially a main part like the headstock you are introducing potential problems (vibration, twisting the bed, not locking down tight and etc.). It is easy to understand having a fixed head stock over a good foundation (the legs) will give you a lifetime of hassle free operation. Good luck with your search.

Lots of generalizations here - all of them subject to the vagaries of personal preferences. Sliding headstocks vs fixed, cast iron vs steel - none of it matters as much as your personal preferences between the candidates. Get some time actually turning on everything you're considering. If you're even considering the OneWay, Robust, Powermatic (4224) or the Serious keep in mind that the prices when comparably equipped aren't that much different.
Here's my best advice on your options: If you're even considering spending that much on what you hope to make your last investment in a lathe, make the guys you're considering buying from get you some time actually turning on one of their machines.
It takes a little time, slows down the process, and lets you know who is going to provide service after you've bought your dream machine. It also allows you to meet some nice people. I took several months (probably closer to a year) before committing. No regrets, absolutely glad I did. There was one manufacturer that didn't feel the need to participate. Good to find out before I drained my turning account.

nothing like getting a lemon!

I'm getting a kick out of the excitement about that G0766 lathe. Unseen, untested, and no one really knows what hp the motor is. Catalog specs just tells you what circuit size to have in the shop. Now they are telling folks to wait until mid July due to delays. That's 7 months after some people ordered it. Waiting that long for a premium machine from a small company to ship is one thing, but for a mass produced one seems different to me. I'd be careful to direct people to it until we see when they really ship and what people think of it. But it's no secret I hate Grizzly either. In 40+ years of woodworking, they were the first company to send me a machine that was unusable out of the box.

Richard,

Nothing like getting a lemon to sour you on a company! I remember a time when Jet support was great and Grizzly's virtually nonexistent too. Grizzly has an excellent rep for customer support now and like I said, you are buying from the same primary manufacturer if you buy Powermatic, Jet, or Grizzly. Aside from bad experiences with support, it is hard to knock one and love another.

I do think I made it pretty plan what I was basing my suggestion to take a look at the 766 on too, the 733, and the factory data on the 766. The 733 seems to be a very close cousin. The 766 does have a rated hp listed, 3hp. I don't know that they are doing their rating any differently than Jet or Powermatic. Looks like the same motor manufacturer is used on some or all of the Jets.

Some of the issue getting them appears to be shipping. Containers stacked up on the west coast due to labor issues, no doubt ships stacked up at the Panama Canal. I don't think either of us can verify where the containers actually are containing the lathes or if they have shipped or not. Some people are being told mid May, depends on how far down the list you are and I suspect what port the ships are committed too. This just happened in the last few days and some of the dates given out may show an abundance of caution, maybe not. While orders have been taken since January, nobody has a credit card charged until the lathes ship from the US distribution center as I'm sure you know. You seem to be keeping pretty close tabs on a lathe you aren't interested in! :D

All of the chinese lathes have a record of getting the job done. After looking under the skin of my Jet I'll never be taken in by a pretty face.

Hu

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Richard,

Nothing like getting a lemon to sour you on a company! I remember a time when Jet support was great and Grizzly's virtually nonexistent too. Grizzly has an excellent rep for customer support now and like I said, you are buying from the same primary manufacturer if you buy Powermatic, Jet, or Grizzly. Aside from bad experiences with support, it is hard to knock one and love another.

I do think I made it pretty plan what I was basing my suggestion to take a look at the 766 on too, the 733, and the factory data on the 766. The 733 seems to be a very close cousin. The 766 does have a rated hp listed, 3hp. I don't know that they are doing their rating any differently than Jet or Powermatic. Looks like the same motor manufacturer is used on some or all of the Jets.

Some of the issue getting them appears to be shipping. Containers stacked up on the west coast due to labor issues, no doubt ships stacked up at the Panama Canal. I don't think either of us can verify where the containers actually are containing the lathes or if they have shipped or not. Some people are being told mid May, depends on how far down the list you are and I suspect what port the ships are committed too. This just happened in the last few days and some of the dates given out may show an abundance of caution, maybe not. While orders have been taken since January, nobody has a credit card charged until the lathes ship from the US distribution center as I'm sure you know. You seem to be keeping pretty close tabs on a lathe you aren't interested in! :D

All of the chinese lathes have a record of getting the job done. After looking under the skin of my Jet I'll never be taken in by a pretty face.

Hu

Hey Hu. What you said... :)

I have a shop full of grizzly: 17" band saw, G700 sliding table saw, shaper, spiel he'd jointer, nod cyclone DC. Lots of people don't like grizzly nd i kno it, but I've never hd n issue with any of their tools. I looked t their lathe when I was shopping for my first "real" lathe if it wasn't so big I might have bought it.

When I have room and money for a wide belt sander it might be a grizzly, but I'll tell you, Icahn understand Richards position if he got burned. I may never buy a porter cable product again for similar lack of faith in them. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy grizzly and would always five them a look when shopping.

varying experience

Hey Hu. What you said... :)

I have a shop full of grizzly: 17" band saw, G700 sliding table saw, shaper, spiel he'd jointer, nod cyclone DC. Lots of people don't like grizzly nd i kno it, but I've never hd n issue with any of their tools. I looked t their lathe when I was shopping for my first "real" lathe if it wasn't so big I might have bought it.

When I have room and money for a wide belt sander it might be a grizzly, but I'll tell you, Icahn understand Richards position if he got burned. I may never buy a porter cable product again for similar lack of faith in them. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy grizzly and would always five them a look when shopping.

Mark,

I bought a list of shop supplies from a company, multiples of each item. As is my custom I gave item numbers and verified prices when ordering. When I got my order in it was comedy! Eight out of the twelve items ordered were wrong, just a little bit. Had to be deliberate by an unhappy employee. The company had a great record for customer support and all of these things were going in shop stock so I thought it was more funny than annoying. I called expecting a "no problem, send it back" or even just keep the items since none of them were real dollars by themselves except one, and they would ship the right thing.

I was talking to a guy that everyone had told me was great to deal with. He was a great smelly stinker that evening! I accepted the couple hundred dollar burn and that is the last dime that supplier, maybe the biggest in the business, ever got from me.

Another supplier has the reputation of being impossible to deal with for several reasons. After talking to him I placed a few orders no problem. Then there was a shortage on some legal ivory. Talking dollars and I wanted my ivory. I sent an e-mail with pictures of the ivory I received on my scales. Joe said he would take care of the shortage plus resend the original order. I assumed he had misspoke. Nope, he took care of the shortage and doubled the order by way of apology!

Guess which company I buy from and support on the internet forums? I don't blame anyone for being unhappy with a company or person after getting burned though. Burn me once it is on you, burn me twice it is on me.

Hu

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I do own several grizzly power tools and some chucks and other accessories and I just don't put them in the same league as jet and powermatic Its the little things. Fit and finish and how smoothly thing work primarily. They aren't bad tools and are worth the money but simply aren't the same quality.
At one time shared a shop with a guy and we had almost all grizzly. Back the. Factory support sucked. It has improved a lot but I haven't had any serious problems with my newer equipment.
For me at least jet and powermatic has had great customer service

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The lathes that come to mind are Oneway, Robust, Powermatic, and Vicmarc but I am open to consider others.

Tony......If you intend to do bowl turning with a faceplate permanently installed from post seasoning to the time you do the foot, it may make a difference what the shape of the headstock is, and where the controls are located. Since I am almost exclusively a faceplate turner, accessibility to the headstock side of the bowl is crucial. I'd not want the controls on the headstock because when my lathe had them there, I kept bumping the controls with my body. The Vicmarc CS300 and Powermatic lathes have controls located by the headstock. Also, the large size of the Powermatic headstock would be a no-go for me. The Oneway is a great lathe with a minimum of obstruction by the headstock, but the spindle size is not compatible with many of the products available. The most common spindle size for a large lathe is 1 1/4" x 8tpi. Of your choices, I'd look into the Robust. Keep in mind that the AB has a sliding headstock, and the S16 does not.......the sliding headstock, IMHO, is a big plus over a fixed headstock. The Robust lathe was designed with particular attention to keeping the obstruction of the headstock to a bare minimum.....an extremely important feature for me.

I may convince myself to buy a new lathe someday, but am having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. I am able to do everything I need to do with a fixed headstock, but it is somewhat of an inconvenience to do some bowls with inward slanting walls. There are times when I have to go to the other side of the lathe to have enough access. Now, if I were seriously doing some lathe shopping, I'd go for the Vicmarc VL240, with the swivel headstock. This lathe may not be just right for many turners, but I believe it would be perfect for what I do. It would be better for my turning than a sliding headstock, because it still allows me to brace my body against the bedways.

I have an old Australian Woodfast lathe that I purchased new in 1992. After 23 years, it is still a fine lathe, but no longer made. The main drawback is it's a fixed headstock long bed. If a used one, and made in Australia, were available, I could personally vouch for the quality of this lathe.......but, I know it's not on your list anyway.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Some of this may be useful to you, and some not......but, it all applies to me and what I do with a lathe.

Photo of my 1992 Woodfast lathe, and one of the Vicmarc VL240.

ko

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 40
  • vicmarcvl240.jpg
    vicmarcvl240.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Well I do own several grizzly power tools and some chucks and other accessories and I just don't put them in the same league as jet and powermatic Its the little things. Fit and finish and how smoothly thing work primarily. They aren't bad tools and are worth the money but simply aren't the same quality.
At one time shared a shop with a guy and we had almost all grizzly. Back the. Factory support sucked. It has improved a lot but I haven't had any serious problems with my newer equipment.
For me at least jet and powermatic has had great customer service

I won't disagree with you there: grizzly isn't in that class. And it is the little things. I'd even say that about my jet 1642 vs. the PM and above cost wise. That's why I bought the VB because I fully expect it to be the last lathe I'll ever buy. Unless I replace the Jet with a Robust. :D

But I've had a couple of minor issues with grizzly over the past decade and have to say that the support, for me, was exceptional. But for my money. Nobody beats Greg Jensen at VB. Still, it's an unusual machine and not everybody's cup of tea.

Thanks for the insights. One of the AAW forum member lives near by and offered a test drive on his Oneway and Robust.

Back