• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

problem with Oneway 1640 "on" switch

I have had this issue for 3-4 times in the last 4-5 years. (got it in 2003). problem starts by not starting with a quick press, and then takes increasing time and pressure to get the thig to start.
I called Clay several years ago and explained that I am machine illiterate and I felt like it isn';t making the right "contact" inside and that maybe I got junk on the perifery of the button that went inside. He said they are "sealed" and that isn't the issue. As I recall he was not is a good mood that day!!!! He walked me thru some things (after I had already used a cleaner) and it worked better til after I hung up. Then played with it a while and it got going fine.
So the last 2 days, again there is a pause when I pushed on the button, This worsened to the point I really had to press hard. Seemed like I had to press only at 9 o'clock to get it started. Then it wouldn't start at all.
I used a computer "Gas duster" to blow on the button-same problem, then a q tip and cleaned the recess, same issue. I used some alcohol, same issue. Then I sprayed silicone on the q tip and cleaned while depressing the button (machine unplugged!!!) . Then it started. After 2-3 tries it worked normally.
What is happening??? I have used it this afternoon and it isn't quite normal (sometimes a "quick" press isn't enuf) , but functions most of the time well. Have I done "bad" with a makeshift correction??? Remember me and electronics don't get along, because you can get killed changing a light bulb!!!:rolleyes: Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
So, then I won't ask you if it is a snap action bifurcated switch or if it is a "dry" circuit application (the name has nothing at all to do with moisture). I would say that it is time to replace the switch, but you already said that you and machine/electrical repair stuff aren't on the same page.

If you have a friend who is more inclined towards such things then it is time to talk to them. Call Clay and get the part that he recommends.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Howdy Gretch.......

I'm no electrical trouble shooter either, but my Grizzly band saw has the same kind of problem, and it's been an ongoing thing since I bought it in the 1980's. I can't remember how I discovered this, but when it refuses to start, I give the switch box a good rap, and it starts right up again! Happens several times a year, and it's good to go for awhile longer! (Bill probably knows what's going on here!)

Anyway......might be worth a try!

ko

A bigger hammer often works. Start off by just talking to the switch while brandishing the hammer and issuing a not-so-subtle warning about what might happen next. :rolleyes:

What language to use? Bill I can't use yours (and as you guessed I don't know your engineering language) Canadian, or mandarin??? Will try to get the gumption to call Clay. Gretch

bad switch

Gretch, I had the same problem with my 2436. I wheedled and cajoled and got down on my knees. I threatened and used lots of navy terms on it. Nothing worked. I ordered a new start switch and stop switch. Easy to install. My lathe is 10 yrs old. Good luck.
Joe

I have a One Way 1224 and had a problem very similar to what Gretch has. I took the front cover off the switch panel ant there was a loose solder connection on one of the wires. Re-soldered it and every thing has worked fine. Just a suggestion, it might help.
Jack

I have a One Way 1224 and had a problem very similar to what Gretch has. I took the front cover off the switch panel ant there was a loose solder connection on one of the wires. Re-soldered it and every thing has worked fine. Just a suggestion, it might help.
Jack

I wondered what I's find if I removed the cover-Today it almost worked normally. Don't know how to solder, nor have the supplies. But diagnosis is the key to recovery!!!!!, Thanks, Gretch

Gretch,
The Oneway "on" switch makes contact for a split second when it is pressed. Pushing hard or pushing on the left or right will probably not help since the actual contact time is just a split second. The good news is they are nine bucks plus shipping and easy to replace.
faust

Gretch,
The Oneway "on" switch makes contact for a split second when it is pressed. Pushing hard or pushing on the left or right will probably not help since the actual contact time is just a split second. The good news is they are nine bucks plus shipping and easy to replace.
faust

$9 From Oneway????? I used it today and had some "dlays with a quick press. Ok if I pressed decidedly. I will look o the wonway site for the switch, Gretch

Website
jpseyfried.com
Gretch, if it is a broken wire and you don't have someone to solder it I can; you are about an hour west of me. But, if it is the contact I would need the new part to fix it. I will gladly help you fix it or replace it if you don't find the solution.

I called "shane" at Oneway yesterday. He decided that it's be best for a new $9 switch (but get the off too while at it). Ordered them and should arrive in a week.
JUst returned from a harrowing work trip normally 3 1/2 hours North to work. Left at 4:45 am. Got home 8:15 pm. Spent 1 1/2 hours in a blizzard in the dark this am , going 20 MPH or less (70 mpm highway), and had to follow the previous car tracks, and stop when trucks (at least 10 times!!! Later saw my tail lights were snow covered) passed me and had not even 6 inches of visibility. Took 4 hours to get home tonite. Not going to do that again. I have more wood to turn, and not look up at a pine box.

James Thanks so much for the offer. I probably could get someone here (Guy that I hired to rewire for 220, and previously helped me with my old shopsmith that kept breaking the belt and taking someone that knows what they are doing 1 1/2 hours to replace the $40 part. Hence I got the Oneway!!!!).
HOWEVER, I'd love to meet you. I could supply breakfast, or lunch , or dinner, and wood . I don't know anyone local that turns. Probably will try to PM you if I know how to do that!!!!!!-haven't done it for several years and things have changed. Gretch

oneway fixed

James Seyfried came this am and installed my new switches-good to go!!!!! He was so nice to have done that, and he left with a few pieces of hopefully good turning wood. We of course, jibber jabbered for 1 1/2 of the 2 hours here. After unscrewing the box cover, I am sure I wouldn't have been able to take it apart and reinstall the new ones. Greatfully, Gretch

Website
jpseyfried.com
Will work for wood

I would have changed Gretches switches just because it was easy for me and to meet an AAW member in the area. However, she was very generous and gave me several nice pieces of wood along with lunch and a pleasant visit. I have finished these three bowls and have a few more in the works.

I really like what the Ambrosia beetles have done with this Maple one so I named it beetle juice.
a_maple4332.jpg

These other two are Manitoba Maple (I think that sounds better than Box Elder :D)
boxelder4326.jpgne_boxelder4338.jpg

Thanks again Gretch!

Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
Box Elder -- Renamed

James -- I recently turned a nice Box Elder bowl for a friend of my wife's. She was very excited to see the red swirling grain when she received it
and excitedly asked my wife: "what kind of wood is it"? When my wife replied "Box Elder", the woman's enthusiasm immediately disappeared, and she just said "Oh"!
So my wife asked me on the next Box Elder bowl giveaway, if there wasn't a better name out there for Box Elder. I promptly asked Google and Wikipedia
educated me that, yes, there are several alternate names for Box Elder. We chose and are now going with "Red River Maple", clearly written on the base of the last Box Elder bowl giveaway!;)

IMG_3620.jpgIMG_3583.JPGIMG_3504.JPG

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I hold the name Box Elder in high regard because it is not commonly found here. I didn't know about the dark side of box elder. All that we have here is this trashy mesquite ... only good for firewood. :rolleyes:

I hold the name Box Elder in high regard because it is not commonly found here. I didn't know about the dark side of box elder. All that we have here is this trashy mesquite ... only good for firewood. :rolleyes:

Bill-People here hate them-you cut it down and 10 re sprout. Good for kindling tho-dries quickly after splittiing.

Jim-those bowls look nice!!!!! Glad you put the wood to good use!!!! Gretch

Back