• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need suggestions

Website
www.billbulloch.com
A lady told me that she has a very old 24" shaker bowl. Lately she has noticed that something is boring into it. The holes have not gone all the way through yet, so she was wondering what she can do to kill what ever is doing the boring. Any suggestions?

to avoid poisons I'd first try freezing it. I'd put in plastic bag and put in my freezer for a month or two. Might kill those bugs down south

Probably powder post beetles, little things that leave holes smaller than wood pencil lead. The microwave is not always 100%, and neither is freezing. The borax powder is pretty effective. If the bowl has antique value, then you would have to be careful about anything you put on it. The mineral spirits will work, as would any solvent based finish. If I find them in some thing I am turning, I chase the holes with the thin CA (super glue), which will petrify the little suckers. Chemical warfare is probably the best bet. I am not sure what type of residue the moth balls would leave. I wouldn't want a bowl I was using to smell or taste like that.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The untold part of this story makes me wonder how a very old bowl would become the target of an insect attack. Wood that is newly turned may have had an infestation of insects and sometimes they are beneath the surface and don't make their presence known for several month until they finally gnaw their way to the surface. A very old wooden bowl or anything else like wooden furniture that is indoors being attacked by insects other than termites or wood ants doesn't sound plausible. Even in the case of termites and wood ants, there needs to be a close path to moisture. Both of these insects eat from the surface inward. If the problem were either of those two insects, there would be a lot more to be concerned about than just the bowl. Maybe the bowl was being stored in a barn or some other location that made it a more inviting target. Another possibility is that it is a "new" old bowl that had some insect larvae in the wood. However the bugs might have gotten there, getting rid of them isn't easy.

From my experience of trying to kill the borers in mesquite, it seems to be mostly a futile exercise. I've tried freezing, moth balls, and various poisonous chemicals like acetone, lacquer thinner, alcohol, toluene, xylene, and MEK without success. None of these things penetrate deep enough to be worthwhile. I haven't tried cooking, but that seems to be the most likely to work. The problem is that it might also damage the bowl. Since it is too large to fit in a microwave oven, a conventional oven on its lowest setting (usually around 180° F) for about 30 minutes should kill the bugs and hopefully won't cause the bowl to crack.

My son had hardwood floors put in his new home. He had the beetles. Every morning- a pile of fine sawdust and a tiny hole in the wood. He marked the boards and, after a long battle, had the boards replaced.
I vote with John Lucas- the moth balls will kill the beetles and when it is exposed to air, the mothball scent (naphtha) will evaporate. To check it out, put a couple of moth balls in a dry place outside and watch them disappear.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had a good friend call. He had completely finished a bowl and dint want to try the harsh chemically freezing. It was too large for the microwave. It was a thick bowl maybe 1 1/2 or more. He tried the moth balls after my suggestion let it sit in the bag for 2 weeks. It worked. It's such a simple thing to try

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Back