• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stihl Electric

Has anyone used the Stihl MSE 170 chain saw? It's listed at $320 with a 16 inch bar, quite a bit less than the larger one.

Dave Fritz

I have the earlier version of the 16" electric Stihl. It's a pleasure to use compared to the bargain brands.

Thanks for the reply Dale, was that the 140?

Dave Fritz

I'm not able to get to the shop and look at the model # for a few days, but 140 does ring a bell. Seems like the reccomended bar was 14" with 16" as max. Mine has a 16" and does well with a sharp chain.

Hi Dave - I have a Stihl electric and like a lot.

It has a 16" bar, I don't remember the model.

If you'd like you can come over and try it out.

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure when I'll be up in your neck of the woods on a weekend but thanks so much for the offer. If you get the chance to check I'd be interested in what model it is. I recall you and Dave doing a demo for the club on cutting burls and you used an electric saw. I believe that was a Stihl, was that your saw?

Thanks again, stay warm.

Dave Fritz

Hi Dave - I have a model MSE 180 with a 16" bar.

I tried to have an 18" bar installed when I bought it but it would work.

Happy turning
Tom

I used mine this AM to prep a 14" dia cherry blank. The blank was frozen quite solid since the temps have been in single digits or below for a while. Worked fine. It's an E14 with a 16" bar.

Dale, an E14. Now that's a new one. Did you get it in the US?

I'm going to have to go to a Stihl dealer and ask about the units you and Tom have. I wonder if they're close to the MSE 170?

Dave Fritz

Dale, an E14. Now that's a new one. Did you get it in the US?

I'm going to have to go to a Stihl dealer and ask about the units you and Tom have. I wonder if they're close to the MSE 170?

Dave Fritz

Picked it up used from a Craiglist add. I think it became an E140 before the MSE series came out.

Back