• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Did you have to reset your password?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For some reason, I had to reset my password to log on to the forums this afternoon. I used my old password and it didn't accept it. Did anyone else have to do this, or is this problem with my own computer?

ko

no problem today, but have had to reset things in the past

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It keeps not remembering my password so I have to log in each time I come back.

It sounds like you may have a setting in your browser to purge cookies or you may have some sort of adware that is wiping out your cookies.

I haven't heard anything about any changes that would affect passwords.

I had not logged onto the forum for some time, but was able to today with no problem. I did have a problem with an unacceptable password when I tried to renew my AAW membership on that site, but got that straightened out.

odie

TOTW Team
No problem here, maybe they are trying to tell you something Odie. Hahaha!

Heh,heh,heh......Who knows, Richard? :D

Seriously though, I suspect my anti-virus program deleted my AAW forums cookies. Been running the same anti-virus for about 5yrs though, and don't recall this ever happening before. It is a mystery to me how my password was rejected, and had to reset my password to log on. That's a bit confusing to me as well, because I didn't actually choose a new password....a new one was automatically assigned to me when I clicked on the link that was emailed to me. This emailed link came after I clicked on the "forgot your password" link when my old password failed......

Your guess is as good as mine as to what really happened! :p

ko

I had to log in but my original password and user name worked for me.
Tim.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Odie, the next time that you encounter a problem with password entry, you can locate it by going to your browser's menu -- in Firefox it is in the Options sub-menu. This is assuming that something hasn't happened with your computer. One thing for certain is that your anti-virus software wasn't responsible for the forum log-in screen rejecting the password that you entered manually nor will your anti-virus program alter any of your keystrokes. As far as clearing cookies are concerned, if you have adware installed it might do that, but it would most likely be more global and not just the AAW forum cookie.

I had to log in this morning on my iPad with password for the first time since I don't remember when. My last log in was with my Notebook a couple of days ago and cookie worked then. Maybe the site randomly asks for login?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Heh,heh,heh......Who knows, Richard? :D

Seriously though, I suspect my anti-virus program deleted my AAW forums cookies. Been running the same anti-virus for about 5yrs though, and don't recall this ever happening before. It is a mystery to me how my password was rejected, and had to reset my password to log on. That's a bit confusing to me as well, because I didn't actually choose a new password....a new one was automatically assigned to me when I clicked on the link that was emailed to me. This emailed link came after I clicked on the "forgot your password" link when my old password failed......

Your guess is as good as mine as to what really happened! :p

ko

Many anti-virus programs when they do the deep scan, will analyze cookies and determine whether they are a threat or not. Unless you look through the whole log, you may not know it saw them as a threat and you accepted that the program was correct and deleted them.
Just a thought.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, the next time that you encounter a problem with password entry, you can locate it by going to your browser's menu -- in Firefox it is in the Options sub-menu. This is assuming that something hasn't happened with your computer. One thing for certain is that your anti-virus software wasn't responsible for the forum log-in screen rejecting the password that you entered manually nor will your anti-virus program alter any of your keystrokes. As far as clearing cookies are concerned, if you have adware installed it might do that, but it would most likely be more global and not just the AAW forum cookie.

Many anti-virus programs when they do the deep scan, will analyze cookies and determine whether they are a threat or not. Unless you look through the whole log, you may not know it saw them as a threat and you accepted that the program was correct and deleted them.
Just a thought.

Bill and Steve.......Thanks for the thoughts, explanations and advice. I am such a dimwit when it comes to computers (and cameras! :(), that it's almost embarrassing to admit my lack of knowledge and other failings in these areas!.....and, you know......I just don't care enough to become knowledgeable about these things. If it wasn't for my absolute need to supply my shop, and as of late, to service my online sales......I probably would not have one of these confounded computers at all! I guess I must admit that reading about woodturning, and communicating with other woodturners has also become somewhat of an addiction, as well.

My sons think I'm some kind of relic out of the "stone age"......:rolleyes:

ko

Bill and Steve.......Thanks for the thoughts, explanations and advice. I am such a dimwit when it comes to computers (and cameras! :(), that it's almost embarrassing to admit my lack of knowledge and other failings in these areas!.....and, you know......I just don't care enough to become knowledgeable about these things. If it wasn't for my absolute need to supply my shop, and as of late, to service my online sales......I probably would not have one of these confounded computers at all! I guess I must admit that reading about woodturning, and communicating with other woodturners has also become somewhat of an addiction, as well.

My sons think I'm some kind of relic out of the "stone age"......:rolleyes:

ko

Odie-you and me both. Cookies are an addiction for me, but alas, it has calories!!! Gretch

Back